Thread: Which FTP program is best now (preferably free one)

Default Which FTP program is best now (preferably free one)

Colleagues,

For years we have been advised to use WS-FTP by Nels in his instructions on preparing material
    for upload, but that one is no longer available. I still have it on a old Win-XP machine but to use it,
    I have to take the desired files and port them over the network (or by a thumb drive) from the
    Win-7 to the XP machine.

I have tried FileZilla on the Win-7 machine and it is free, and is somewhat similar to WS-FTP
    but has some items to answer in setting up a profile that I have no clue about.

So, what is the recommended (preferably free) item to use these days on Win-7 or Win-10.

Jerry Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Filezilla is probably the best-supported for now if you want free - not sure what your profile problem is.

If you use Firefox 52ESR or one of the forks like Waterfox or Pale Moon, that still use the old-style extensions, you could use Fire-FTP (http://fireftp.net/), which I've always liked. Simple and generally standards-compliant. Won't work on Firefox versions since 57, or anything else that requires WebExtension for add-ons.

EDIT: if you have Win7 Pro you can download a virtual machine with XP, still, from MS. Runs in Virtual PC, which you also have to download. You should be able to run your old XP-only software in that VM on the Win7 machine. Be aware, though, that it's only licensed for use with Win7 Pro & Ultimate, and can't be ported to other VM software without some (questionably legal) hacking; it also can't legally be used in Win8 or 10. However, if you get something like VirtualBox and have an old RETAIL copy of XP, you can install it in the VM and activate it there when your old hardware dies - so, another way that old software can live on. Fair warning, though: MSTS won't run in a virtual machine, period.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 02-07-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Edit re XP in VM

I'll put my vote in for Filezilla. Can't beat the price, and easy to master.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Filezilla best for setting up an FTP server, but I use WinSCP if all I need is an FTP client for Windows.

https://winscp.net/eng/index.php
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

Neil, would you be good enough to provide instructions, especially for setting up the profile along the lines
    of what Nels has in his developers instructions. I could never get FileZilla to connect and log in using the
    parameters he gave. All I need to do is the occasional upload of a route, the next one coming sometime
    in the summer of 2018 if all continues to go well. It will be the last of the mainline of the Milwaukee Road
    Pacific Extension, although I plan to also do the Great Falls line.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)