Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American Content or Lack Thereof

Default American Content or Lack Thereof

For quite some time now new additions to the MSTS file library here have been overwhelmingly Indian in nature. I wonder if this is the result of very little interest in creating new American routes and rolling stock or if perhaps there is somewhere else where these items are being uploaded?

Rich K
    See my pix at RailPictures.net
    Visit my web site The Railfan Gallery

How about this for very good recent American content

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....rchid=10533426

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

Many route builders who produced content for MSTS myself included - although I never produced anything based on North America - have either retired from the scene or perhaps moved on to Trainz or TS20xx. Even there I am now finding some difficulty motivating myself to start anything more involved than a model based project which is impractical in MSTS anyway unless you find a way to eliminate continuous run circuits or return loops.

Then there is the whole level of politics which seems to surround MSTS and its spin off Open Rails these days. There is considerable hostility from some quarters to anyone who perhaps prefers to stick with MSTS rather than using OR or the new TSRE editor. At the end of the day it's a hobby and we should be free to do what we want. Putting a route together in MSTS then getting criticised for it is not exactly the kind of feedback one would prefer after three months of eyestrain in the editor. That said I still have MSTS installed and not ruling out perhaps doing another one at some point, but right now at this stage I would prefer to spend those 3 months flying from Sagittarius A to Beagle Point in Elite Dangerous!
    Vern.

sumitsingh Guest

Most of the users have moved to other Train Sim games after MSTS like RailWorks or Trainz.

But why Indian still prefer MSTS, I got no clue of it.
    Last edited by sumitsingh; 02-09-2018 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    How about this for very good recent American content

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....rchid=10533426

Cheers

Daniel

No Search Results
    No Files matched your search criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by dforrestc View Post
    No Search Results
    No Files matched your search criteria.
    Given the thread title, oh, the irony....
    Cheers!
    Pete

I've finished building the Washington (DC) & Western, a fictional route from Alexandria, Va., to Piedmont, WV, 170 miles as the train flies. I started to create activities this week. It will include rolling stock repainted for the Washington & Western and should be ready for beta testing in both Microsoft Train Simulator and Open Rails in the spring.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Here are some of my random thoughts.

1) MSTS is like a Senior Citizen and many early developers (or dabblers) have left for greener pastures... or just moved to the city... who knows? (Or forgot about it for a while, like me)
    2) MSTS historically had a barrier to entry... Microsoft "retired it" and new CD copies became somewhat harder to come by though obcurity or just a lack of marketing it once had.
    3) OpenRails changed that. It meant you didn't *have* to have MSTS (though it helps) This new option was able to generate interest in markets that might have been historically missed.
    4) TrainSim.com is still here... unlike most other sites...
    5) Combine item 3 and 4 and you see why people want to place what they do here at train-sim
    6) India *is* one of the countries that still relies heavily on rail systems, especially passenger traffic, which in the US seems reserved to only a few coastal regions.
    7) Believe it or not... there are a lot of people who live in India and see trains they can model every day... So many of us in the USA need to look back to the PAST to model railroading in its glory days.

Hopefully this is just stating some facts that should be obvious. The developers of Indian content are really in the "development" curve the USA content makers were in around 2003 or so. So much still left to "create the first time"... fertile ground. Not so with American content. Much of it HAS been done... though truthfully... a lot of it is from 2002 or so and they show their age... (I'm looking at you... single face 2 dimensional bogies)
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

MSTS is economically more accessible to more people worldwide.

Can run MSTS on my $65 dollar refurbished XP computer I bought to run MVP Baseball 2005.

There are many foreign sites still actively using MSTS.

Harold

truthfully I think we have alot of good American routes to use for Msts but what we lack are activities for alot of routes.if we could get more activity builders to make activities for the routes that don't have any or barely any then I don't think alot of people would complain about all the Indian routes train sets and so on. because in the end it's all about trains no matter what country they are from. maybe it's just time other countries Msts users to show what they can do there is nothing wrong with that.