Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 reinstalls in 3 days of train sim feed up!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reading rail roader View Post
    the MSTS runs ok .. its certain routes have missing files!!!
    You are like a broken record...you don't listen to ANYTHING folks are telling you...as long as you repeat the behavior, you will fail. Windows 8 REQUIRES ADMINISTRATIVE rights to do ANYTHING, including running the batchfiles that copy objects from the default routes...If you didn't set permissions in the beginning, BEFORE you attempted an MSTS install, You will FAIL every time! MSTS WILL RUN ON Windows 8...I know for a fact it will! Stop complaining and follow instructions...STEP BY STEP!
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Frank is correct. msts will work but certain steps need to be done in the correct order to make it work. If you are having this much of a issue with MSTS I would do the following.

Delete MSTS get CC cleaner From Piroform and run it, in administration mode. Then manually make sure you have NO MSTS folders left in your computer. Then start over, make sure you do NOT put MSTS in the program files. I did that mistake on my new computer and it had all sorts of issues only when i moved it did those issues go away.

Honestly I would download OR and use it you will have less issues and problems in the long run.
    Just my 2p.
    Last edited by MsSheare; 02-13-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Yes. Going back to the '70s, the lesson is: If your computer was working and then is not working, WHAT CHANGED? That's why you need to make only one change at a time and then try it out.

Next, nobody can understand what your problem is unless you describe it accurately. You at the very least need to write down exactly what the error messages say and accurately report them. Some are so common that you can summarize the data and people here will understand what it means, but it's best at first if you report EXACTLY what the message says, including making sure you don't miscopy a colon as a semicolon. If you are missing files, how do you know you are missing files? Are you missing files that end in .eng, .wag, or .sms?

Follow Frank's instructions at #3. Get Route Riter. Read the tutorial "Using Route Riter to Banish the 'Error Reading Train Database' Message" at steam4me.

Deleting and installing MSTS is not going to help you, it's just flailing at random, like a drowning swimmer. Stop doing it. Get one "boring" installation of MSTS working, then use backup software to make a copy of it somewhere. Then instead of reinstalling you can just delete the installation you corrupted and restore a working installation to corrupt anew. I do recommend deleting the corrupted installation, though, because depending on your backup software you may get strange results if you don't.

Most important, explain clearly what your problem is. Saying "its [sic] certain routes have missing files!!!" doesn't help. What route(s) are you talking about? What files?

Yes forgot to mention that. Once you have an error free DEFAULT MSTS tested and running copy that to a separate folder and you can use that as mentioned AND use it as a basis to create Mini Routes (again by copying it into a folder to create the specific Mini Route) There's no need to involve "Backup" software for any of this though. Just copy and paste.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    <snip>
    There's no need to involve "Backup" software for any of this though. Just copy and paste.
    Oh, that's good to learn. I remembered having some problem when I did that, though, unable to find some registry entry or something like that, which is why I went to using a free backup program. It was way back when I was first learning how to install, though, and I may have let MSTS install into C:\Program Files (x86). Well, way back is six months ago, but still... I finally figured this out myself, but not until I had become very proficient at installing MSTS according to the steam4me instructions. Or, I don't know, maybe Yuri recommended it and I was just too dumb to notice.
    --
    Roger
    Last edited by Procopius; 02-16-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Well, I don't know what was going on with Reading Rail Roader. He said he was having missing file problems with the ATSF Marceline Sub route, so just out of curiosity I downloaded it and installed in in my Open Rails Content folder. It does not require any non-default rolling stock. It doesn't even require running an installme.bat. Best of all, it's the first route I've found that appears to run on OR. At least, I was able to run the first activity for two hours to make the pickup up and then proceeded along in what I hope was the proper direction to finish, but by that time I was tired so saved and quit. So I can't imagine how he could be getting missing file folders from this route, but now I have something I can use to learn more about using OR. Oh, using build 4074, the latest testing release, on Windows 7, Ultimate, 64-bit.

I really don't know because I got tired of installing MSTS this way on one OS and then having to do it another way on another OS and when I first bought it and installed it on Windows XP it ran fine with a straight out of the box install. Then I got Windows Vista and it worked pretty good but I had to start task manager and always run it on one core. Then with Windows 7 I had too many consists which would cause it to crash plus still had to run it on one core. Then I installed OR and liked the way it looked but it ran kind of bad. I wanted a faster machine anyway so I bought a quad core 3.7ghz to run FSX and installed OR and MSTS. MSTS won't run but OR runs better than MSTS ever did. I have the option to push it up on my graphics and usually run at 4.0 GHZ. At least try OR but the faster the processor the better it runs.

To me installing MSTS and making it run since Vista have been headaches. I don't like headaches and with Windows7 did everything everyone told me and it ran but even with a 3.0ghz processor certain high density routes I could not run like Scenic Sub 2 and both Seligman routes without downgrading the shapes.

Sometimes you can follow all advice and instructions and it still won't work. Thankfully there is an alternative though. I have never had a crash with OR from missing textures or shapes or anything else. The only crashes that happen is when I push it with max viewing distance for my processors's power. Plus you can use DDS and ACE textures and it seems that DDS works better with newer graphics cards and even on board graphics.

But MSTS is good if it runs and what you prefer but sometimes you just can't get a certain machine to do what you want it to do. It is the same with cars of the exact same make and model and one will perform better than the other one and so on.

I am going to try to duplicate your missing shape thing in OR so I will get back in a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Procopius View Post
    Well, I don't know what was going on with Reading Rail Roader.
    He won't be responding for a week. Cornfield duty called.
    Packerland Dev Release 2013-06 now available on Dropbox -- PM me for access...

Just tried changing names of shapes in OR and no errors in loading about missing shapes. They just don't show up in game. So that may be one alternative.

If you are wasting a day installing and reinstalling and trying to beat a dead horse to get up, then maybe it is time to try something else.

For me it was hard to give up MSTS because it was so familiar and the first time I tried OR I was not impressed with the lightning and the red sun disk. But damn, they have gotten it right so far. The best thing about it is that it is free. I have FSX and Microsoft don;t even support it anymore. So I bought P3D and LM supports the platform. But I like trains better than planes so...

Look at it like beer. I love and prefer Bush Light but they don;t sell Bush Light where I live now in 30 packs or even cases. Just twelve packs. So I started drinking Natural Light that they do sell in 30 packs. Anheiser Busch produces both brands and Natural Light took a little bit to get used too but both give you the same buzz. I played MSTS last night after I hooked up my old computer to change some cabviews. Well much like now preferring Natural Light over Busch Light, I prefer OR over MSTS.

I am not pushing Open Rails over MSTS so please no one get me wrong but sometimes MSTS just will not work right on some computers no matter if you follow all the instructions of how to install it. For my windows 7, MSTS just would not work to my specifications with high scenery density routes like Scenic, the newer version and both Seligmans. Not to mention Bala Sub 2 and even some free ware routes. But I like playing the sim instead of trying to get it to run.

For me, ORTS is my Shiner Bock to MSTS's Bud Light. A much more refined, fuller experience than what I thought passed for good beer back in 2003.