Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowering a Locomotive.

This gives me an idea, as insane as it sounds.

Could one add a "fake" matrix to the matrices? Thus, we could reassign the main body shape to a different matrix, and shift that one instead.

It would probably require shifting everything else manually (and maybe some other things I can't think of right now), but it's the best think I can think of at the moment considering the circumstances.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

The Models were given to the community. Danny wants nothing to do with MSTS. It's a long story and he not willing to go into it or discuss it again. As he told me "I keep trying to get away from MSTS but it keeps coming back and haunting me". The only thing that can not be done is charge any price for them. Also I think the best people to ask are the people at TS/SLI I have never tried to alter a set of wheels or even a Bogie. I do know Pete Abrams has done it but I would need to ask him to explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    The Models were given to the community. Danny wants nothing to do with MSTS. It's a long story and he not willing to go into it or discuss it again. As he told me "I keep trying to get away from MSTS but it keeps coming back and haunting me". The only thing that can not be done is charge any price for them.
    I think the issues and permissions for these particular models are pretty clear in Danny's Read Me in the shapes he donated for the now defunct Siskiyou route. These are Danny's shapes (not SLI's) and so in view of your comment it's down to us to fix them?

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    Also I think the best people to ask are the people at TS/SLI I have never tried to alter a set of wheels or even a Bogie. I do know Pete Abrams has done it but I would need to ask him to explain it.
    Sorry but this is a total Red Herring. These are NOT SLI/TS products and the issue is by no means related to these models alone.

Please keep SLI/TS out of this thread. It's about trying to fix an issue that's relevant to many models with scaling issues and the fix will be in the coding of the Sim.

I know through various conversations that models scaling has been successfully altered previously so it can be done.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I had someone complain to me that one of my models had oblong wheels. I pulled up the original model and that's clearly not the case. However, at the time it was developed... I was part of a team and we would pass it around an tweak it before uploading. Its very likely that one of the members used one of the "tools" that caused it to have "weird wheels" and I never noticed. I haven't actually downloaded it to check.

That said. Its really attacking the problem from the wrong direction... Its no different from trying to manipulate the contents of a 'finished' PDF document with a HEX EDITOR. It might work... but more often than not, you find out that you really have no clue what you are really doing. Result: Way too much effort for too little gain.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    I think the issues and permissions for these particular models are pretty clear in Danny's Read Me in the shapes he donated for the now defunct Siskiyou route. These are Danny's shapes (not SLI's) and so in view of your comment it's down to us to fix them?

Sorry but this is a total Red Herring. These are NOT SLI/TS products and the issue is by no means related to these models alone.

Please keep SLI/TS out of this thread. It's about trying to fix an issue that's relevant to many models with scaling issues and the fix will be in the coding of the Sim.

I know through various conversations that models scaling has been successfully altered previously so it can be done.

My understanding from Danny is and I could be wrong here so please don't accept it as 100% correct is the model shape itself. I know Danny did the art but I never got a answer on who actually made the model. Hence why I said might want to ask SLI. If I am wrong forgive me just trying to remember what Danny had said to me in his emails. I can try and ask Pete on how he did the F45 units since he did a total rebuild of the units putting new bogies, round wheels and more details. I know it deals with S file and editing it out and new FA but it's so detailed on what he did and I would love to be able and redo some of the older GP units.

I will see what he can tell me about lowering a locomotive as well and will try to get a detailed answer for all.

Do you want to lower the whole body or just decrease the distance between the body and bogies ?

Quote Originally Posted by bwbrgb View Post
    Do you want to lower the whole body or just decrease the distance between the body and bogies ?
    See my post #3 ....but if you have a solution there are models where the body needs lowering onto the trucks more, there are models where ONLY the height OR length needs modifying. As I stated above this isn't just about one specific model. There are many models that could be improved and made compatible with some minor shape modification.

Take this a stage further and there are models that would be massively improved by editing the wheels and trucks themselves .....BUT one step at a time?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I once changed the material IDs in the SLI ATSF GP35 so I could alpha out the wheels and then turned the entire model into a freight shape. This allowed me to put a pair of my own Blombergs under it. Sometimes, I'm tempted to build a whole new model that's mapped to use the same textures. That model is a personal favourite, so it's gotten a lot of TLC from me over the years.

The original request was to lower a locomotive by .06 - - - Was that the total height , loco to bogie height ,wheels to rails etc . What ?
    I thought the request was a little too vague . Can't help if I don't understand the question .

The original request was how to lower the complete locomotive 0.06, bogies and wheels are in the correct place when looking at the locomotive. If the bogies are lowered it makes the gap between body and bogies too large. The obvious method, doing the same as for lowering bogies works in Shape File Viewer but has zero effect in OR or MSTS.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.