Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowering a Locomotive.

Default Lowering a Locomotive.

Well, I have a problem.

I need to lower a locomotive shape -0.06 meters down. However, there's been various issues...

Using SFMs "Shift" function causes the wheels to go all screwy and form arcs.

I then edited the matrices in the Shape file to lower the locomotive. This worked fine in Shape Viewer with no wheel animation issues, but the locomotive was not positioned lower in MSTS.

Anyone got any ideas?

If it helps, the locomotive in question is the SP_GP38-2_4835 Danny Beck gave away for free. I've done some modifications to it and gave it an engine file, cab, and sounds.

P.S. - Could Daniel Schmidt please PM me?
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Hi Parker, Don't have an answer but this issue has been bugging me for some time. Quite a few of the SLI models could do with various alignments. These are very minor (like your shift above ....which I tried and immediately saw your problem) BUT the issue arises when the same loco in different packs doesn't sit at the same height. It's like all these things? Once you notice the error it sticks out like a sore thumb

There are also quite a few models (not just SLI) where the body is perfectly scaled, the trucks are perfectly scaled (even touching the rails) but the body sits too high above the trucks.

If someone could write an "idiots guide to editing the matrices" I've a load of stuff I'd like to fix.

Where the wheels are right, the body height above trucks is right BUT the loco is too tall I use SFM height and length adjustment to correct the height. Even though this makes the length wrong (height and length having to be adjusted the same to avoid wheel distortion) the matching roof line looks fine in a mixed consist and the small adjustment to length is only really seen in SView using the measuring tool.

Watching this with interest
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Default The SP model is not alone

The SP model is not alone

Click to enlarge

SLI-1.jpg

SLI-2.jpg

SLI-3.jpg

I seem to recall similar problems with some of the SLI NS Horseshoe Curve pack?

If we can fix these it would be good to share the fixes? Right now the TrainSimulations site seems to have less and less of the older SLI content on so not sure how this can be done if they won't host fixes to older packs
    Geoff
    UK

I think I might have a solution. Many years ago Otto worked out how to lower the bogies (trucks) on models where the wheels did not touch the rails, lower the bogie and the wheels went with them. It should therefore be possible to apply the same logic to a locomotive where everything is correct apart from the height above the rails. Adjusting the Y axis of the main shape in the S file should also move everything else attached to it by the same amount.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    I think I might have a solution. Many years ago Otto worked out how to lower the bogies (trucks) on models where the wheels did not touch the rails, lower the bogie and the wheels went with them. It should therefore be possible to apply the same logic to a locomotive where everything is correct apart from the height above the rails. Adjusting the Y axis of the main shape in the S file should also move everything else attached to it by the same amount.
    Good old Otto ...gone but never forgotten in this community. That sounds like an excellent solution. Do you have the fix to try out?

Also, funny how issues seem to crop up in different threads that have relevance? My question in post #3 here seems to be answered in this post #2 ( https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...14#post1929314 ) where Danny's Read Me would seem to indicate that the shapes are his and therefore any fix could be uploaded here?
    Geoff
    UK

Just tested my theory using the SP GP38-2 #4835. Decompress the S file and open it for editing. If using Archibald you can skip the decompress. FIND the first Matrix entry, this is called Main in this model. There are 3 zeros at the end. Change the second one to -0.069 and the wheels will be just touching the railtop.

matrix MAIN ( 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 -0.069 0 )
    is the finished line.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Adjusting the Y axis of the main shape in the S file should also move everything else attached to it by the same amount.
    That's exactly what I did, if I wasn't clear on that regard. It works in Shape Viewer a treat.

SFCAN596.jpg

But it doesn't work in MSTS or TSRE's Consist Editor, and possibly Open Rails. I'm going to try a few more things.

Edit - Here's a screenshot in MSTS with the SP and BN units back to back.

scrgrb0.jpg
    Last edited by SD40-2; 02-13-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Here's the error I get when I try to run it :

Click to enlarge

SP GP38 error.jpg

Interestingly ConBuilder shows no errors in my editing of the BN GP38 .eng files but AE doesn't show the loco when you try and make a consist ....although it's listed.

Must walk the dog now so back in an hour
    Geoff
    UK

You've got 3 different things that you can adjust on a diesel or rolling stock. It depends on whether the bogie is part of the main or a separate piece . If it's part of the main then either the axle or the wheel coordinates adjust the rotation of the wheel in relation to the axle .
    If you try that with steam it is a nightmare - - don't .
    I think that there was a post by Otto on this Sim that explained the procedure .

Does not work in Open Rails either which leads to a question. What are MSTS, TSRE Consist editor and OR reading that prevents the change from happening in game.

EDIT: I decided to see what would happen if I lowered a bogie by the required amount instead. The bogie got lowered, in fact you can even move the bogie right underground, but that main shape is fixed in space. It cannot be the preceding data in the shape file, if it was, the bogies and wheels would not move either.
    Last edited by baldwin; 02-13-2018 at 11:34 AM.