Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lowering a Locomotive.

I just wondered why he wanted to lower the top of the locomotive . I thought that measurement was proper in the original .

....errr see my post and pictures #3. The scale is right but the whole loco is that far too high. It's NOT alone as my pictures show.

The BN is pretty much spot on ...as are the SP & BNSF. The latter two are that far too high off the rails. Therefore the WHOLE model needs lowering.

In other models however the wheels are on the rails, the body is to scale BUT the body it too high off the trucks.

Basically there are a number of models that need tweaking but unless they can work in the Sim (YOU'LL NOTE they load OK in Shape Viewer, show no errors in Conbuilder etc.) the fixes are academic.

I just rescaled a GE 44 Tonner and reskinned it for B&O. The incorrect scale version works fine but the CORRECTED scale version crashes the Sim .....a total waste of MY afternoon
    Last edited by lateagain; 02-17-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

There is a definite formula for setting the pivot height of the top node. What always works for me is placing it 2.15 inches below the hypothetical wheel bottom. I say "hypothetical" because I taper my wheels, so I actually place the pivot 2.15 inches below the point where the wheel should contact the inner side of the railhead.

That works when making the model, but these are existing models that need to be lowered to the track.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Yes, I forgot to finish my post. I was going to add that this seems to be a common issue, people set the pivot at the bottom of the wheels, which is why things tend to float. One wonders why placing the pivot here doesn't make the model sit at the right height in the first place. Then again, a lot of Kuju's conventions make me wonder...

Then again, a lot of Kuju's conventions make me wonder...
    What it was probably like...

http://dilbert.com/strip/2011-05-16
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts