Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Extending existing route - elevation issues

Okay, good luck. It is a concept that would help us all, i.e. those of us that are deranged
    enough to do routes. I may try the merge method with RRiter but right now, I have a lot
    on my plate. Got to take the wife to a surgeon she was referred to, tomorrow. She has
    a umbilical hernia to be patched. When the gals hit 65, they start to come unglued. For
    us, 70 or so is the magic number.

Jerry

Demex has a adjust Dem elevation feature if im not mistaken

Ive used it to drop the elevation of distant mountains that would float above the horizon before

Jerry,

I think they only way you could do just part of a route would be to extract the tiles within the same quadtree (TSRE could do this), and then transfer them to another route to adjust the elevation before returning them to the original route

Demex has that, but that is not the issue here. It was stated that Don lowered his route by some
    value, 1500+ meters I believe. What I am going to try is to create the desired tiles in a new
    route, generate the terrain, and then lower the terrain by the same amount as Don used.

Then I will use RouteRiter to merge the two routes, with the new route being merged into the
    existing route by Don Karch. If this works, then all is necessary is to remove the signals at the
    end of the track on the original route and continue to build the track east from there. There are
    a few areas where it was a "educated guess" as to where the track was on Google Earth, but
    the main part over Marshal Pass is now a local road for most of the distance.

J. H. Sullivan

Thanks Charlie, later today, or tomorrow, I am going to use that on a seperate route
    I will create for the new tiles, and then merge that new route into Don's original route
    and we will see what happens. I'll use RouteRiter for the merge function. 1525 meters
    is 5000 feet, which matches well with what saw at Alpine Tunnel on the route.

J. H. Sullivan

Well quickly I found out a couple of things.

question: Don lowered the route by 1525 meters. I can't think of a situation where one
    would want to RAISE a route, so I put -1525 in the box. After a gozillion errors, the
    tiles had not been adjusted. So do I need to use a "-" or just 1525. Also, if that does
    not work, then I assume I also have to have some world files associated with the
    terrain tiles.

J. H. Sullivan

After finding the instructions for TSutils, I find that you can in fact adjust terrain up or
    down, so using -1525 would be the correct value. Even so, the new route does not have
    any world files or track or road database files (yet) and that apparently is the source of
    the errors, so I need to add some items in order to generate the world files and try again.
    Meanwhile, the wife has surgery scheduled (outpatient) on Feb. 28.

Jerry:

I have sent you a PM. The "Notifications" tab is very lame here and it's sooo easy to overlook incoming mail. (I failed to see your PM to me several weeks ago until last night!)

Andre,

I sent you a PM a few hours ago. Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Jerry