Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Rails crashes when loading

Default Open Rails crashes when loading

I recently booted back up Open Rails after almost a month without playing it and suddenly it began to crash when trying to start an activity or to start explore mode. This happens on every single route including the default ones. I recently installed 3DTS's Donner Pass but I'm not sure if that's causing the crashes. I attached a log file while trying to load a default route with default stock. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ryan

What sticks out to me is a system disk that is 94% full. That 9.5 GB of ram is something to look at. Pagefile turned off?

https://superuser.com/questions/1220...programs-crash

https://hardforum.com/threads/only-9...b-wth.1937396/

That full system disk (and the nearly-full data disk farther down the list) are concerns. But that 9.5 out of 16 RAM number is a dead giveaway of having the pagefile turned off. Not good. And unless you're doing something diabolical with the Monogame version of Open Rails, there's no way OR can use enough memory to even get close to 9 GB anyway (normal OR is a 32-bit program so it's limited to 4GB regardless). So ... turn the swapfile on and let Windows manage it. You'll get all 16GB (and then some for emergencies). Also get a SSD for the (boot, apps, and) swap disk: minimizes the hit when swap does happen.

FWIW, in normal use in my computer with 8GB and Win10 Pro, when running ORTS with the normal background stuff going on, my commit is around 3 GB out of 16 (Windows normally runs as much swap as it has for RAM, though that drops off when the numbers get ridiculous) with "in use" around 2.5. I have to load up a stupid amount of stuff other than OR to push the "in use" up into the 5-6 GB range (around 3/4 of the total RAM) before the commit starts to grow substantially beyond the actual RAM in use. So Windows really isn't swapping much under that kind of load. Also, when you look at RAMMap, note that most of the memory is full of "standby" stuff - stuff that's been loaded at one time or another and hasn't been unloaded so if you need it again it's immediately available; Superfetch helps with loading that, too. If for some reason you run short of RAM, that standby space is cleared for you.

Again, running without a swap file doesn't help you any, and in cases like this can hurt. You might also want to look for what application(s) account for that huge RAM usage, because ORTS is highly unlikely to be one of them. Are you running a MySQL server in the background?

What about this?

Error: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Have you tried rebooting and trying again?
    Its memory corruption or bad memory.
    Cheers
    Derek

9GB of RAM is obviously ways off... Normally all RAM will work on each like 4, 8, 16 32 and 64GB with proper sticks. I think your RAM is possibly defective or a bad memory stick.. It is very common on all computers..
    Dave Edwards

I tried rebooting my system and it still didn't work. I did change the paging file from auto to system managed, but switched it back to auto before I noticed I was having this problem. As for the 9.5gb, I currently have only 10gb of RAM installed using one 8gb stick I bought and another 2gb stick I already had at the time. I've been using that setup for at least 2 years now with no problems, and continue to not have any problems with it besides what's going on with OR. I don't have MySQL installed on my computer and I cleared out some disk space, but to no avail.
    Ryan

Try the non LAA executable and see what happens.
    Cheers
    Derek

Nope, it's still crashing.
    Ryan

You need to post the log file from that crash
    Cheers
    Derek

My bad, here it is.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ryan