Thread: xMilkFloatx

sumitsingh Guest

Exclamation xMilkFloatx

Hi,
    I created a free roam scenario in WCML Trent Valley route.
    Then I deleted it later.
    But when I again came back, I saw a locomotive with name xMilkFloatx.
    I am unable to understand what does it denotes?
    Please see attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They were a drivable loco on the Portsmouth Direct Line Route DLC a few year's ago, I think it was, I never bothered playing with them, others did, I think you could drive a milk float around the streets of Guildford, or, somewhere, it was something that DTG put on the route as a bit of fun, they never repeated it on any other British layouts, though.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

sumitsingh Guest

Oh I finally found it on youtube.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EX0S9w_2DcA

For the benefit of those not steeped in British culture a "milk float" was a small road vehicle, usually powered by battery electricity, used by "milkmen" to deliver milk to household doorsteps. These days largely obsolete as everyone buys their milk in 4 pint plastic bottles from the supermarket. But up until the mid 1980's the pre-dawn electrical whine and distinctive clink clink of proper glass milk bottles was a regular daily occurrence on most UK streets.
    Vern.

sumitsingh Guest

Thank you for the explaination.

My dad (in Barnet, on the Great Northern line and the end of the Northern line) was getting his milk (and orange juice) from one of these right up until the end. Which I think was only 10 or so years ago. The glass bottles were sealed on top with aluminum foil sort of tops, colored depending on what kind of milk you got. The best was the whole milk with the cream on top.
    Christopher

Getting seriously OT now, but yes I remember the "cream" top and in an era before bland semi skimmed milk was conceived it was delicious. Going back one step further I remember the small 1/3 pint bottles of milk I used to get in junior school back in the mid to late 60's, just before morning break.Ultimately the local dairies and milkmen couldn't compete with large plastic bottles from the supermarket. I last had milk delivered in the mid-eighties but was rather pricey along with the attendant risk of theft off the doorstep or delivery after going out to work turned it to cheese in the sun or ice cream in the winter.
    Vern.

sumitsingh Guest

Being a 90s kid, I remember Milkman coming to individual house for distribution of milk with his bicycle, unless some day polypack bags took over and now people go themselves to purchase it in India.