Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BLWZT B&O Set

Starting in the late thirties, AAR designed twin offset hoppers appeared on the roster. After WWII large volumes of these were purchased until they dominated the fleet in the mid 1950's.

Offset_HM.jpg

Here is are the 70 ton offset cars. Notice both triples and quads. The quads were built in the twenties, triples in the fifties.

HToffset.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Here is are the 70 ton offset cars. Notice both triples and quads. The quads were built in the twenties, triples in the fifties.

HToffset.jpg

YES! i was hoping that these would be included so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    Key interchange spots were East St. Louis, Parkersburg, Clarksburg, and Wheeling. So connecting lines would be over represented on B&O West End trains.

Both Time Saver and Sentinel service had specially painted equipment that ran in regularly scheduled trains over the West End. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Historical Society site seems to indicate that Sentinel Service was operational in 1946 and Time-Saver in 1947. The Sentinel Service boxcar was in silver and blue, and the Timesaver Service boxcar in blue and orange.
    Looking back over the thread (in lockdown with all the time in the World ) I realise that Chris's post here was over a year ago. Fascinated by another livery to find suitable images for a photoreal reskin of either of these special liveries, they proved to be almost as rare as hen's teeth. However have Photoshop will manipulate .

I'm also somewhat relieved to read that the liveries were short lived as, like many US roads of their era, the B&O were desperate to save money. According to my reference material the services continued but mostly with "box car brown cars and the service merely a white stencil on some cars.

Anyway a shot of a WIP with a possible extra Sentinel if the rather underexposed picture I found can be nursed into something usable. If anyone has any other sources of pictures for B&O box cars other than Railroad Picture Archives or Fallen Flags I'd be happy to do some more.

Click to enlarge
    B&O Fast Freight Cars.jpg

BTW I FINALLY got my act together and uploaded some cars but so far to Elvas Tower. No snub to ts.com but the first set uploaded by Conductorchris were B&O wagontops which the original modeller (sadly no longer with us) specified could only be shared on ET. The skins are the easy bit.... renaming the files so that they don't clash or crash in the Sim is the hard part. I've a few more sets I've been sitting on that need such attention and that isn't so much fun.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Moving on to boxcars now.

In 1950, half the B&O boxcar fleet was steel 40' M-26 clones of the PRR X-29. These cars aren't going to be in this set since Tim Muir already has some available. Wood cars still existed at that time. Also not part of this set. And the iconic wagontop 40' ribbed design was around. Also not part of this set, but available at Elvas Tower (thanks Geoff!).

As the 1950's progressed, large numbers of 40' M-55 boxcars were purchased, coming to dominate the fleet by our 1957 target date. The first of this class was purchased in 1938 based on the "1937" AAR standard design. B&O's version had distinctive ends and a flat roof, similar to the M-26 boxcar of the 1920's. Like other "1937" boxcars this design had a 10' interior. As boxcar heights increased to a 10'6" interior height, B&O stayed with the shorter design (As did some other northeast railroads) in respect of low clearances. Eventually the flat roof was replaced with the standard Murphy flat panel roof. The next evolution saw the ends changed to the more standard modified dreadnaught design of the fifties. The last orders of this design featured the diagnal Stan-Ray roof. All these evolutionary differences are reflected in the boxcar fleet made for this set.

Paint schemes evolved too. The original scheme used the simple capital dome and the roadname spelled out. In 1945 the "linking 13 states" logo was introduced. In 1955 the large billboard B&O was added. Paint colors evolved too. These liveries are all present in this fleet. Brown coloring of relatively new boxcars would turn more red later in life -- past the timeframe of this set.

As Chris writes, in 1947 a blue and silver scheme advertising "sentinel service" appeared on 100 cars - a relatively small part of the fleet, but attractive and favored by model railroad manufactures and photogs. At first I wasn't going to make any because they were uncommon, but I realized people would like them. Apparently Geoff and I were thinking along the same track at the same time. Perhaps I wouldn't have made these if I knew he had. But now I have. I made two because they did sometimes clump together. "Sentinel Service" was ahead of it's time -- the railroad kept track of the cars and would phone the shipper if the their car was delayed. By 1957 these cars were a little weathered.

Another fancy design of blue and orange (that Geoff also made) has also been favored by the model railroad makers over the years. This was even more unusual. Less than a dozen of these were painted, as showpieces for exhibits and such. Again, I wasn't going to make one, but realized people would like them.

The file library at trainsim.com includes both these two fancy paint schemes, but applied with incorrect details (ends, roof) and importantly, the free versions are not the correct lower height. Geoff's versions shown this thread (and not yet in the file library as I write) are a great improvement and look very good. Nice job, Geoff (no surprise, of course - you make good stuff). Interesting that Geoff and I picked the same blue and orange car but I did the paint scheme when new and Geoff has some very beautiful rust that looks like 10 or 20 years on. I rather like it.

M-55-40'-boxcars.jpg

Ooops! Duplicated effort. In actual fact the "rusted one" is based on a picture of a model. Either the artist who made that is a genius at painting and weathering or it too was copied from a picture? In any case as you point out these would have been fairly new in the time frame of the route? I wasn't happy with the colour on that either. Obviously paint fades with age but looking at pictures (not suitable for photoreskins) of these when they were exhibited at exhibitions they definitely look more like B&O blue. Not sure that would have faded to the more turquoise of the model? The biggest battle with photoskinning old stuff is that firstly the colour film of those days was pretty awful and secondly by the time it became possible to start creating digital libraries of these shots the originals had faded causing terrible colour casts. "Correcting" old pictures is educated guesswork. You have to look for colour casts in shadows, the foliage, the track bed and track side buildings etc. and try and correct those. Often this will drastically change the colour of the wagon itself.

One thing I'm not clear about is how these "fast service" cars were actually used. The "less than carload" and "siding to siding" slogans seem at odds with the "FAST" bit? Attaching these to fast passenger trains would surely have slowed the passenger service if they had to be dropped off? In fact the whole concept of "drop off" freight (we had it here in the UK too with nearly all stations having their own sidings) is more usually associated with SLOW freight?

BTW Chris are there any early 50' box cars in your plans?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    One thing I'm not clear about is how these "fast service" cars were actually used.
    Many get them confused since both evolved to handle LCL business. The Timesaver service was promoted as a fast less than carload (LCL) service, while the Sentinel Service was an efficient scheduled carload service using the "new" teletype system for all types of freight. Both were scheduled on B&O fastest freight trains - the Quick Dispatch (QD)

Timesaver Service promising second day service between NYC and Midwest cities. Sentinel promised a point to point 'sentinel' would watch over the shipment. Think 1950s version of package tracking we have today. Below is an ad for Sentinel service.
    SentinelPrintAd.jpg

Google books has 1947 issue of B&O Magazine with a multi page article about Sentinel Service for its launch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Two 50' boxcars made it in under the 1957 cutoff. Unlike later boxcars which had a fishbelly side in order to support wider doors and the weight of forklifts going in, these boxcars were built with the tabs that were common under 40' boxcars. Photographic evidence says these 50' boxcars with tabs were common in the early seventies, but I who grew up really starting to become aware of railroad details from about 1980 never saw one. (and I grew up on the B&O).

The second boxcar is welded.

XM50'.jpg

A two bay PS-2 covered hopper from the mid-fifties. At this time, covered hoppers were just getting started as a fleet category and were still uncommon. B&O had wagon top covered hoppers and 2 bay Bethlehem built covered hoppers (neither of which is in this set). These cars were used for cement, sand and other heavy bulk commodities. At this time (mid fifties) grain was still shipped in boxcars.

2020-04-13 15_12_34-Shape Viewer - B&O_LO_631157.jpg

Meanwhile, the BLW/ZT F7s (ConnRiver version) have been pulled into the detail shop to bring them up to current standards (rivets, door handles, 3D sand hatches, louvers and portholes, etc). Painting next.