Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: BLWZT B&O Set

These upgraded cars look excellent, it's time the loads were upgraded to match.
    They are too low res, grainy and blurry, perhaps a freightanim with a better resolution would be the answer ?
    Ray

What I really need is a source of photos of scrap . . .
    I will see what I can find. I've taken a few myself off the "railfan bridge" in East Deerfield MA -- maybe I've got something I can use.
    Any other suggestions.
    Christopher

Hi Christopher,

I find this a good source ....

https://www.textures.com/

https://www.textures.com/browse/scrap/295

The idea put forward of a freightanim sounds like a good idea,
    I notice others use freightanim for loads.
    The small texture included in the wagon .ace file is not a high enough resolution.
    A separate 1024x1024 load texture would be good, if possible, and easy to change loads.
    Cheers Ross

Hi Ross, thanks. Those really are great.

The load actually is an freight anim now. You are right, it makes changing loads easier. I didn't make the texture for it, but I suspect it is an old texture. But I can fix that.

Christopher

New scrap load.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Way better, Thank you !

we are back to work on this set, which is getting close to release. The freight cars are essentially done at this point, but I need to bring this thread up to date.
    Locomotives will be F7's and S4's a GP9 or two, an SD9 or two and a baldwin or two. That's what was being used on the B&O between Grafton and Keyser in the mid fifties.

We've covered flat cars and gondola cars earlier in this thread, now it is on to hoppers which were numerous on coal hauling B&O - over half the car fleet in 1950. Not only were B&O hoppers most of the consists of B&O's own coal trains in West Virginia, but B&O coal hoppers traveled all around the northeast. For example 25% of hoppers in Rutland carcounts were B&O.

In 1913 steel hoppers were new on the scene when B&O started producing 30' 50Ton 2 bay rib sided N-12 hoppers which had a lot in common with the Pennsylvania Railroad 2 bays of the era (note the prominent heavy end sill). With 13,615 copies this model was the backbone of the fleet through WWII. N-12's were a large part of a total fleet of 23,000 ribbed 2 bay steel hopper acquired between 1905 and 1926. In 1952, as offset hoppers started taking over, 22% of B&O's hopper fleet was N-12's. 2/3 of the N-12 class were still in existence in 1953. N-12's started expiring in the late fifties. In 1962 2955 N-12 hoppers remained, about 6% of the B&O hopper fleet at that time but they didn't last long as C&O capital brought in a new fleet of 100Ton hoppers.

In 1957 five paint schemes were seen: plenty of "13 states" logos; plenty of large B&O logos (of two varieties) and a smattering of WWII era capital dome logos and even fewer of the original livery with no logo at all.

N12.jpg

These were the USRA design twin hoppers, 4% larger - both slightly longer and noticeably higher: 30'6" in length and 10'8" high. They were built as part of the USRA WW1 order and then more cars of the same design in the years after. There were about 4,000 of these cars (in other words roughly 3 times as many of the earlier N-12 types in an average train) and the fleet was still more or less intact in 1952, but by 1962 the numbers had dwindled.

USRA_HM.jpg

During WWII when steel was in short supply, railroads built hoppers with wood. B&O later replaced wood with steel on some. There were 1,000

war-emergency.jpg

Very nice great addition to the fleet, especially for company service.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."