Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FORUM PROBLEM ....What has changed and when?

Default FORUM PROBLEM ....What has changed and when?

OK before anyone replies to this can I just point out that the two oldest, and silliest, arguments in IT are MAC v PC and WHICH IS THE BEST BROWSER

I have been happily using and posting here for years using IE. Oh I’ve tried CHROME and FIREFOX.
    Nothing wrong with them either but my preferred browser is IE.

Just recently “Conductorchris” who’s been posting on these forums for years like me asked why his pictures uploaded as thumbnails.

This was quickly answered BUT THAT is where the problem lies.

If you look at the screengrabs below you’ll see a rather stripped down version of “Post a New Topic” which is what I NOW get in IE. Next is what you get in CHROME. You’ll note that all the buttons to format text, insert images, videos etc. are gone. The advanced option presents you with “MANAGE ATTACHMENTS” which allows you to upload pictures but without a considerable hassle these are posted as thumbnails. They enlarge without issue if clicked upon ....but WHY the different interface and lack of formatting?

The issue is not IE v CHROME but why do I suddenly get a stripped down version in IE when it used to be the same as CHROME?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t degenerate this thread into a silly argument about browsers.

CHROME ...and how IE used to look too

Chrome.jpg

IE ....as seen now. Used to be same as Chrome

Forum Problem IE.jpg

Please note that these were both grabbed logged in at the same time using the different browsers. My OS BTW is Win7 64bit.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I don't know what could cause this change, mine hasn't changed. This what I get when I just hit REPLY to a post.
    reply post.JPG
    Jim

The whole point of my thread is that what you've posted is what I was getting too using IE. Now this reply I'm using (Like the New Post Pane in my screengrab) allows NO formatting of the text at all. NOT EVEN creating a new paragraph :-/
    Geoff
    UK

I get the following when I select 'Post new thread' using Chrome on a Win 7 (probably 64-bit) system
    Attached Images Attached Images

Notice at the bottom of the page is "Powered by vBulletin®Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved. "
    I am assuming that the forum software has been updated and the new version no longer supports IE like is did before. I use Edge as my browser and the editing window appears as it did when I used IE.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Notice at the bottom of the page is "Powered by vBulletin®Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved. "
    I am assuming that the forum software has been updated and the new version no longer supports IE like is did before. I use Edge as my browser and the editing window appears as it did when I used IE.
    Good catch, I didn't see that. No problem using Firefox, everything is working as before.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    I fear your "eagle eyed" observation is the REAL issue here Charles I'm posting this reply from SWMBO's laptop running Windows 10 and as you say using EDGE I get back what used to be there in IE.

Question is what exactly is missing from IE that's in Firefox, Chrome and EDGE? Not a snowflakes chance in Hades of M$ doing ANYTHING to support IE now I guess .

Only chance is that vBulletins can fix this?

I'm all for improving stuff ....but as a technician much of my life there's a golden rule "IF it ain't broke, DON'T fix it!"

All of us long term Sim fans have had to update our hardware over the last 17 years since MSTS but even the Flight Sim community were keen to preserve Win7 for their machines. Many of us are getting older, can't afford updated gear etc. The folk with the newest machines are not necessarily the greatest contributors to the community so maybe this is an update too far?

Of course we can change browser (that's obvious) but I for one resent having to change my tool of choice for a software that I doubt would win many awards or accolades .....I'll be first to apologise if vBulletins fix this
    Geoff
    UK

Just looked to see if Edge worked on Win7 or 8.1 ....and there's more than a stroke of irony that they made IE work in 10 (wonder why?! note sarcasm) but you can't run Edge in Win7. Despite the protestations of alternative browser users that IE is poor, it has to be said that there are few (IF ANY) innovations that Firefox or Chrome bought in that have not been incorporated in updates of IE. I've tried Firefox and Chrome but like a comfortable pair of old shoes ....I keep returning to IE. OK I'm old fashioned but I learnt IT when keyboard shortcuts were all the rage (still quicker BTW ...if they're still written into the software!) and the "Smart Phone" dumbing down of software into "Apps" is frankly depressing. Sent from my IE so no formatting now :-(
    Geoff
    UK

I posted a similar discussion on another website...

I think the internet is starting to fail.

There are too many different setups that people are using now, and website designers can't keep up with all of them.

It seems more and more websites are pushing users for the latest "Two Versions" of the various browsers. If you don't upgrade, you have website issues, and even messages telling you to upgrade.

The problem is, even when you upgrade, that doesn't always work. And if it does, older websites don't want to work anymore.

You have to decide, which websites are more important to you... Or ...use more than one web browser.

20 years ago, we lived in a fix it society. Now we live in a throw away society. No one supports what was around two years ago, any more.

As for IE 11, I have no idea why it doesn't work for many. I don't use it, so I can't say. But I did upgrade to IE 11, because IE 8 which came with Windows 7, is no longer supported by many websites.

It's interesting how Edge won't run on Windows 7, even though MS still supports it for another two years... (or will they?)

Too many websites, too many operating systems, too many computing devices, too many browsers, too many versions... Ugh
    Yardmaster of the Great American Moose Paint Shops.
    a Moose Interchange Rail Company division.
    http://mjrmstsrepaints.proboards.com
    TTFN!

Quote Originally Posted by MCDemuth View Post
    I posted a similar discussion on another website...

I think the internet is starting to fail.

There are too many different setups that people are using now, and website designers can't keep up with all of them.

It seems more and more websites are pushing users for the latest "Two Versions" of the various browsers. If you don't upgrade, you have website issues, and even messages telling you to upgrade.

The problem is, even when you upgrade, that doesn't always work. And if it does, older websites don't want to work anymore.

You have to decide, which websites are more important to you... Or ...use more than one web browser.

20 years ago, we lived in a fix it society. Now we live in a throw away society. No one supports what was around two years ago, any more.

As for IE 11, I have no idea why it doesn't work for many. I don't use it, so I can't say. But I did upgrade to IE 11, because IE 8 which came with Windows 7, is no longer supported by many websites.

It's interesting how Edge won't run on Windows 7, even though MS still supports it for another two years... (or will they?)

Too many websites, too many operating systems, too many computing devices, too many browsers, too many versions... Ugh
    I'm using the latest Firefox (which is not without consequences - it's still going through hard times after a forced conversion in version 56 (now at 58) to the type of extensions used in Chrome). At least one of the extensions I always relied on is no longer with us. But ... the "Reply with Quote" ("Go Advanced") editing window has 3 rows of buttons just like the examples above from Chrome.

Software has always been more about New! Shiny! than about maintaining something. Sometimes the New is needed because of changing requirements - the modern need to keep up with hacking attacks can do that. Sometimes it's just because Marketing wants Something That Looks New. And often (I was guilty of this in my younger days as a coder) it's easier to write something new (and hopefully better-designed, internally) than to keep hacking on the old version - the old version had accumulated a lot of cruft that was easier dealt with by throwing it away than by cleaning it out. Plus NIH.

Edge runs only on Windows 10, which also includes IE11. IE10-11 runs on Windows 8. IE 8-11 runs on Windows 7. IE 5-8 runs on XP. IE 4-6 runs on Windows 98. That's just the way the operating system-browser connections evolve with MS. Oh yes, the editing window for me in Edge has only one row of buttons on top in "Quick Reply" but all 3 in "Go Advanced." Perhaps that's your difference - though even "Quick Reply" should have at least the one row on top.

Edit: wonder if the OP has some kind of script- or ad-blocking add-on that's blocking the buttons? Also, I have run into occasional problems with the site recently where things get slow or stop working for a while - you might have hit one of those bad moments.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 03-04-2018 at 09:21 PM.