Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FORUM PROBLEM ....What has changed and when?

Privacy is NOT just an issue with Hackers!!! Surely you realise that?
    Yes. But if you need to choose between hackers or google/microsoft then the choice is obvious.

Another alternative is the fine Opera browser that includes a free VPN that works, well, okay, most of the time. Opera's been around for years, tried to go payware once but that fizzled, and is, again, a good free browser for Windows, Mac, and even the brave few who still want to run desktop Linux. (I'd insert a tongue-out icon here, but the forum and my browser won't let me.)
    Last edited by ftldave; 03-06-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: fix txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Another alternative is the fine Opera browser that includes a free VPN that works, well, okay, most of the time. Opera's been around for years, tried to go payware once but that fizzled, and is, again, a good free browser for Windows, Mac, and even the brave few who still want to run desktop Linux. (I'd insert a tongue-out icon here, but the forum and my browser won't let me.)
    Opera's pretty good. The current version is built on the same underlying (Webkit) code as Chrome, but has a much nicer front end and seems to be less privacy-intrusive. Firefox also (if properly set up - the options must be reviewed in detail) not too intrusive, and many extensions are available to tune it further (I use NoScript and Privacy Badger); and it runs on all major PC operating systems. Edge, like IE, I only use when required to (such as: certain apps on the work computer require that they be started in IE); Edge is much cleaner and safer in many respects than IE, and appears to work OK with the edit window here, but only runs on Windows 10.

Chrome - owns most of the market, is starting to push web site designers into Chrome-only modes (shades of when IE was the big noise!), and sends pretty much all of your activity to Google. So privacy == not. But people still use it because for the most part It Just Works, including with the forum edit window here. It's the most widely used browser in part because it comes as part of Android (Firefox on Android is very much an also-ran, and is just not there for Apple and (if you still have one) Windows phones), and also because it's available on every major operating system otherwise.

I prefer to stay away from Google at home. FF is my primary browser (in Win10 and Linux), and my default search engine is DuckDuckGo (no tracking, supposedly, though how you would verify that is an open question). Current (58.x main, 52.x long-term support) Firefox works fine with the forum edit window, and even lets me insert the tongue-out icon.

Another good browser is Pale Moon, which is kind of a streamlined version of Firefox and uses a lot of Firefox addons, and it also has some of its own.

Also, for those folks that like to use AdBlock Plus, you might ant to take a look at uBlock, since Adlock has started accepting money from advertisers to whitelist them.

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    Yes. But if you need to choose between hackers or google/microsoft then the choice is obvious.
    LOL! ....yes you may be right at that!!! Both trying to use your details to allow others to get their hands on your money!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK