Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Koppers Coking Ovens

Hi,

Found several edges that were less than 5/8 ths of an inch in length. Cleared those out, but an issue remains.

I have a shape with 7111 polys that will place in the MSTS RE, but it is showing a potential for flying polygons, in that the cursor can select it well outside the shape at one end. The one piece model with 9549 polys can't be placed in MSTS but will show in TSRE and ORTS.

It's to the point where 5 minutes into looking at it in Sketchup, all the end points look "bad". I'll have to start over, and export each group individually to see if I can find the problem source that way.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Please keep it up Doug. Although these are not the correct type of ovens for use
    at Vanzant and nearby on the N&W Dismal branch, only a picky rivet counter is
    likely to notice.

J. H. Sullivan

Hi Jerry,

I didn't see your post until now. Almost finished with installing the software to the new tower (still XPSP3). I was in the middle of fixing a couple of structures on the New Jersey Zinc Co's Palmer mine and mill complex. Someone found a color photo taken in the late 1920's or early 1930"s from the overhead bridge built in 1924 that replaced the grade crossing by the mill entrance and the L&HR station area. Prior to that I was trying to work from colorized post cards and B&W low oblique aerial photos. The Sanborn maps only tell you brick, metal or wood siding, not what style it is. I'm getting better at making (X)row lock brick from a couple of source images from Textures.com. So far X has run from 3 to 8 in photos of buildings inside the Tristate route's area.

I had started fixing the traveller, but got a result I had not anticipated. After backing out and letting that simmer on the brain awhile, it was one possible result. So that's next after I fix the 4 NJ Zinc buildings.

IIRC, the one you need has enormously less piping than this one. (Kinda neat, the back end of the pusher hanging over the creek though.) I'll look at it again, and see exactly how much different. I did see a pipe running into the hillside so they are sending the fumes (gases) somewhere, I didn't see where though.

Biggest problem is the end and center sections, which current have primary gas lines running out over the pusher track. I also have to figure out where the electric comes from. ( probably rails mounted under the walking deck of the pusher side of the ovens.) So the stinger has to come off this pusher, and contactor rails added to that side of the ovens. This isn't hard, it just takes time

Doug Relyea

Hi,

I see I hadn't posted screenshots before I stopped.

Open Rails 2018-04-25 06-40-16.jpg
    A view of the uphill end.

Open Rails 2018-05-01 03-00-52.jpg
    view of the storage yard.

Open Rails 2018-05-02 05-50-47.jpg
    view of the pusher, the stinger and the rails it was powered from.

Open Rails 2018-05-17 03-24-04.jpg
    storage yard with cables added to the travellers.

Just for info, the polygon issue apparently developed before I added the cables. I had a zero length line appear in either the frame braces of the truss across it's bottom, or a last set of pulleys I added inside the truss.

Doug Relyea

Hi,

And some views of the cars and narrow gauge electric locos on the discharge side.

Open Rails 2018-04-20 09-07-24.jpgOpen Rails 2018-04-20 09-08-48.jpgOpen Rails 2018-04-20 09-11-50.jpg

Static only though, can't do animations in Sketchup that MSTS or ORTS will understand.

Doug Relyea