Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Koppers Coking Ovens

I have not considered the date. Really this concern is about dust is recent. Thank you for the good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by drelyea View Post
    Hi Anderson Martins,

No more than is evident in this photo (the addition of Dust suppression equipment)

Attachment 74323

from the Oct 1921 Gas Age Record, probably taken by Fairchild Aerial Photography.

Some things to keep in mind. The time period for the route this is going into is 1920. Dust suppression was a new thing, and was only used where recovering the dust would reclaim profitable materials. (Dust collectors on Blast Furnaces and Sinter machines for example)

At this plant, there was not much dust to recover. Any dust generated by the incomplete burning of the coal in the ovens went into the Gas collector, and was soaked up by the tar and Benzols. Anything that did not re-dissolve into those was filtered out at the processing of those products.

In the picture, the paired stacks at the back were the exhaust stacks for the steam plant, so the soot is from those boilers. That steam drove the blowers (today they would be called compressors) for the ovens. The single stack in front was for exhausting Hydrogen Sulfide.

Lastly, the stacks themselves were an early form of dust control. The two in back are given as being 220 feet tall, the one in front 200 feet tall. They were tapered on the inside towards the center as much as the taper on the outside.

Doug Relyea
    Chimbica Dash8

Hi Anderson Martins,

Over at Textures.com (formerly CG Textures), in the Metal Sub category are a number of "modern" sheet metal textures that would work well. They have a free membership. I use the free textures, resized to 512 square or 1024 square, depending on their original size.

First export of the Wellman Pusher.

Open Rails 2018-04-12 08-40-18.jpgOpen Rails 2018-04-12 08-41-36.jpg

I have to go back and tweak the overhead bridge for the gas pipes.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Hi,

4 of the 5 rail vehicles on the Coke Discharge side.

Open Rails 2018-04-15 05-39-14.jpgOpen Rails 2018-04-15 05-39-59.jpg

Doug Relyea

I hope your stuff shows up in the library one of these days. If you have Google Earth,
    go to position: -82.0422/37.2333. Those black things look like coking ovens to me
    and the rest of the site has fairly modern conveyors etc. This is on the Dismal Creek
    branch of N&W which is part of where I plan to be piddling on a route in a year or so.
    One of the great missing items, at least in my thinking, is modern coal mining
    facilities, loadouts etc. I have TSM and will be doing my best to make some later but
    it would save me and others a lot of time if a object designer did it.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Hi,

About two weeks, this one should hit the file library. Finishing up some details, some smaller buildings to be made, then see if I can condense/combine some of the textures.

Good news, the industry at -82.0422/37.2333 is in fact coke ovens.

Bad news; Suncoke Energy says it's only been there since 1960. (Makes sense to me, those are some large pushers with their back ends hanging over the creek. Not the biggest out there, but bigger than what I have) Makes metallurgical grade coke, ie Steel Industry, and is therefore not a by-product plant, which is what I'm making.

I understand your frustration, but:
    1. I am an object designer not by choice.(or trade) No one else seems to want to make period stuff, but they certainly want to tell you how and when to do it.

2.Weehawken.jpg
    NYC's West Shore terminal at Weehawken, NJ. which they allowed the NYO&W to access. From the New York Public library digital collections. Multiply this by 9, and that's what faces Manhattan and Long Island from the Jersey Shore, all within sight of each other sequentially.

If your objective is static scenery, Sketchup is really hard to beat, if the UI fits. (User Interface)

Doug Relyea

Hi,

Getting there

Open Rails 2018-04-25 06-35-53.jpgOpen Rails 2018-04-25 06-39-42.jpgOpen Rails 2018-04-25 06-40-16.jpg

A-typical live rail setup for the pushers at Kearney.

Doug Relyea

Hi,

Almost done.

Open Rails 2018-05-02 05-50-47.jpgOpen Rails 2018-05-05 04-19-05.jpgOpen Rails 2018-05-05 04-24-12.jpg

I've encountered a small hitch, the traveler with cables won't place with the MSTS RE. It can be placed with TSRE, and I have one without the cables that does place in MSTS, and edited the w file for the screen grabs. (so it does render in ORTS)

Export came in at 9493 polys, well under the SU limit. Model opens in Shapeviewer, and looking at the texture list, they are all there, and are all MSTS squares.

Only thing I can think of now is one of the 6 groups has too many polygons.

Doug Relyea

Doug,

High poly count will kill you in RE/MSTS unless the poly count is well under about 4000. I hit
    the wall the other day with something very simple. I needed a pattern of headstones for a
    cemetery that might or might not be a military one, but for simplicity I created it as such.
    a pattern of 24 stones (4 rows, 6 each) worked okay. 48 stones worked okay too, as did
    96 stones, but 288 stones would not place. Turns out that 288 came in with 4700 polys.
    This would place in TSRE and display in ORTS.

I have also seen situations where at certain distances from a placed object, the view
    would be blanked out. This is a texture issue. Usually regenerating the object in TSM
    will clear the problem.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)