Thread: Route Riter Error No 52

Default Route Riter Error No 52

Hi could anyone support

I donwloaded the route riter v 7.8.10 in mi PC windows 8 HP, I7
    Installed in program files (x86)\digital rails\Route riter

And I am experiencing this error when I open the program

Error No 52, does not let me select the msts directory and the program closed

Thanks

Hi,
    As Digital Rails has taken over support for Route_Riter, you should direct your query there!

However, I'll make two suggestions, but I don't know if they are necessary for that version of R_R :

1. Set Route_Riter.exe to "Run as an administrator"
    2. Install the program anywhere but C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86) or any other system folder on drive C:

Cheers,
    Ged

I have the same problem. Rodrigoville, were you able to solve it?

I believe this is a java configuration error. Please check the java install and association with the program per the instructions
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

I fought this for years.
    When you install Route_Riter it tries to find your MSTS installation.
    If it can't find it in the registry it will not run correctly if at all.
    You'll need Java, the 64 bit one is fine, default install.
    Install R_R anywhere but the programs folders.
    This is for the latest, original, version of R_R not the one from Digital Rails.
    I just did a fresh Win10 install last week and for the first time in like forever R_R installed without any issues.
    Just to make sure though I did a minimal MSTS install before I installed R_R.
    And, yes, it needs to run as administrator.
    Don't forget to copy the classes stuff to your Java installation.

Randy

Thanks rdayt,
    what you say about the MSTS installation needed probably will solve my case. In effect I installed MSTS under Windows 7, then added Windows 10 as a separate installation (dual boot), so Win10 hasn't the MSTS registry.

In a few weeks I'll be forced kicking & screaming onto Win-10, otherwise neither Microsoft or my supplier
    will provide further support. This is just one of several issues I am not looking forward to. In another
    post in the forums, it was suggested that one copy the contents of the original MSTS install CDs into a
    single directory and it would then install. Something about the protections on the 2nd MSTS disc not
    being recognized by Win-10. Thank you so much MSTS for screwing us all, even though I know you
    dropped all games long ago - even fired one employee because he offered unofficial help with RE in
    those early days of 2001/2002. But then how many other SW packages of any kind are still being used
    after 18+ years.

J. H. Sullivan

It's only Microsoft's fault insofar as at the time of publishing MSTS, using (3rd party) copy protection was implemented. The real problem is that the 3rd party copy protection - SecuROM - turned out to introduce a massive security problem on modern computers in the modern, internet-connected world.

Microsoft even did an about-face early on with the MSTS official updates which removed the disk-in-drive requirement that was part of SecuROM. But the disk masters were already made, so the copyguard remained forever.

But yes, copying all the contents of both disks into one single folder will result in a folder that the installer will run from. (One temp file that probably has to do with swapping the CDs gets overwritten; no harm there.)

Basically, SecuROM isn't effective at prohibiting file copying (at least not under NTFS); most people at the time wouldn't have tried it anyway since hard drive space was a lot smaller back then. Also, Microsoft's installer doesn't validate the SecuROM protection (unlike some games which did) so they sort of left us with a hidden "gift" in a way, really.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info