Thread: FOSTORIA: "IRON TRIANGLE" For Development

Cool FOSTORIA: "IRON TRIANGLE" For Development

Hi Guys, I have a question , would anyone be interested in completing this route for the TS community to enjoy? I started this project over 5yrs now (off and on), and now just lost the passion to finish! I do have all 3 double/track main lines 3/4 completed with assorted buildings placed, the most recent item is the new Csx Intermodal Yard, (Baltimore,Oh). I had not got to the Willard Yard yet! So I also have partial sections i used to test 'AI' and 'Signals. You can contact me here or [email protected] Thanks! Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TXX View Post
    Hi Guys, I have a question , would anyone be interested in completing this route for the TS community to enjoy? I started this project over 5yrs now (off and on), and now just lost the passion to finish! I do have all 3 double/track main lines 3/4 completed with assorted buildings placed, the most recent item is the new Csx Intermodal Yard, (Baltimore,Oh). I had not got to the Willard Yard yet! So I also have partial sections i used to test 'AI' and 'Signals. You can contact me here or [email protected] Thanks! Tim
    Yes, the "the passion to finish!" also set in for me. Building the Long Island Rail Road was getting frustrating what with the MSTS editor routinely trashing tile files and crashing I suppose because it didn't like the amount of objects on several tiles. Also working back and forth with the PRR-East Region upgrade with the MSTS editor there taking over a minute to execute a save!!: eek:

So I was making halfhearted attempts to continue the LIRR but I seemed to be doing more correcting errors than building a route. Then TSRE5 showed up. I was very skeptical that an unheard-of programmer in Gdansk, Poland had come up with as he described "Amazing new route editor" or something to that effect.
    So for the final month of editing the LIRR I got my feet wet with the new editor. Nice warm water too! Nothing like spending six months with the MSTS editor in 2001 figuring out how to open a hole in the terrain.
    There were issues: Track elevation problems, object select / save / database / minor issues, no show stoppers but only the frustration of the language barrier when trying to get a point across.

As a 32 year veteran in data processing with IBM I'm thinking that I met perhaps 3 or 4 people in my 32 year career that would be able to pull off such a feat.
    Well, my skeptical appraisal of the new editor was deserved as there were (as expected in any new program in beta) but the glitches and procedures were worked out (with some (expected) heat at times) and today I can say with conviction that the new editor,m TSRE5 has passed with flying colors all editing tasks I asked of it.
    Remember the 1 minute 40 second save for the PRR East on the MSTS editor? . . . 4 seconds with TSRE!

That's a huge difference from MSTS. . . . With the many new features incorporated into TSRE route editing and building has again become something to have a lot of fun with. I assure you, I was emotionally in the ditch when I thought about having to open the MSTS to get the LIRR ready for it's public beta release (last November) until I tried TSRE. I have never looked back. I have completed a major overhaul of the PRR East Region principally the NEC from NYPenn to Washington including a complete re-tracking of the Philadelphia Terminal Area (Zoo Interlocking) and the surrounding six tiles using only TSRE. There's more but too much to go into here. I estimate I'll get the route to the testers, hopefully in another 3 weeks.
    I'm testing activities now and when running I'll see something I've missed, make a note and it gets fixed. That's what taking the time now. Also I've set Dynamic Shadows on for all trackside veggies, all catenary supports, and buildings that can be seen only from the train.

I'd respectfully suggest you install and try out TSRE5 for at least a months time. Don't work with the route you are building. Create a new 1 or 2 tile route using TSRE. It took me 20 minutes to set everything up and I had track, signals carspawners all running inside of a day. Wow! is all I can say. I messed with the test route getting used to the new editors command controls (that issue was another 'discussion' I had with the author).
    Many controls the same, many are different and it's quite frustrating at first but I got over it.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thanks for the encouraging words! I will check TSRE5 out, at 66 its hard to sit and create!..these days I just want to drive trains. Tim

Great!

I hope TSRE will reignite your route building experience as it has done for me. Here are a few links to help you:

+ TSRE Build Index: http://koniec.org/tsre5/data/
    Here you download the latest .exe file and place it in a new folder you create on your desktop.
    After d/l open the new folder and double click on the exe file that was d/l'd. It will run and d/l all the becessary files needed to run TSRE.
    You MUST configure the settings.txt file in the new folder.
    The manuals will help and I can help solve any problems you may encounter. Just ask!

+ TSRE Early users guide: http://koniec.org/tsre5/

+ TSRE Manual main page: http://koniec.org/tsre5/recontrols.html

+ TSRE New Manual w/Activity Editor updated: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Zkmc2wNIU/edit

I'd suggest you first read through the manuals, printing them out if possible was a great help to me.
    Then start by generating a small 1 or 2 tile route by following the manual step by step and then have at it. It took me 2-3 weeks practice until I felt confident enough to edit the LIRR but even that was not enough which is why I took on the PRR East rebuild project. THAT took a year!
    At 66 you're not old yet! I'm 77 and just like the song goes "I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now."
    Back to pounding spikes.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 03-16-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"