Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the Beef?

Post Where's the Beef?

Re: The PRR Eastern Region v2 upgrade . . . . .

. . . .Ok, this IS taking a bit longer than expected.
    The 'hardware' part of the upgrade, basically a rebuild of Philadelphia, is complete but it wasn't until I started writing the long haul activities NY to Washington or Harrisburg and the like and in testing these found more to-do's.

There were multiple signal linking problems had me stuck several times along the corridor and I found and corrected another phantom signal. The activity runs 2.5 hours and you activity writers know what that means, running the damn thing over and over and over again. Gets so I only fix one activity bug a day.

So where Am I and what's going on and where.
    ++ Tuning activities, there will be several, passenger running the full length of the corridor and points west.
    ++ I have 15 short test 'activities' that basically just run through the new ZOO interlocking by using all available entrance and exit paths
    ++ There will be several freight activities all using the same AI services as the passenger activities do and you do get to see 'yourself' running the passenger trains as you run the freights. I've thought about making a set of activities like this for some time now but it was impossible to run under MSTS Open Rails? No problem!

++ So far I've set dynamic shadows on for all track side buildings & structures including all the catenary structure from NY Penn to Washington (there is a neat feature in TSRE that allows me to set shadows on for a couple of tiles at once with two mouse clicks!)
    I lost a day's work, 80 miles of shadow and signal work two days ago when my first attempt to remove the phantom signal went belly up and crashed the track database to an un-fixable state. (next time backup before any foo-foo signal work? )
    It's running the long haul trains that keep turning up one or another problems and I feel obligated to fix them. Patience . . . .

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

This going to be great! Thanks Vince for this.

I already enjoy the present version, this update will be over the top! Jeff will have to update his Surfliner to keep up with you! Haha! ;-)

Thanks for the encouragement. I was able yesterday to fix something that has bugged me sisnce I released the NEC4, namely the GRACE Interlocking at the west (south) end of the Susquehanna River Bridge. Any time previously (this was before release) I attempted ANY track modification in the area it crashed and corrupted the routes database files. That was the MSTS RE. The new TSRE editor apparently has no problem and I was able to re-track GRACE using 2.5 degree switches and gentle curves so now it matches the prototypical trackwork here. I also re-tracked the bridge itself with proper Bridge Tracks/guard rails, part of the then non-available XTrack sections.
    SUSQUEHANNA-GRACE-INTLK.jpg
    Continuing on and backing up before I modify track seems to be the conservative way to do this.

Goku (TRSE Author) has said re-working track is good-to-go IF All interactives on the Track Vector between two Red Poles (switches) or Red Pole and EndOfTrack are removed. This is pretty simple to do; Just start at a switch and follow the track to the next switch or end-of-track deleting any interactives you come across. Follow that rule and you wont have problems.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 03-26-2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: add missed words ==> are removed

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Great job! Looking forward to re-work on PRR-ER as I am still currently running a few Conrail trains along the Port Road from Enola towards to Baltimore and Bayview. Would want to start moving some freight between Perryville towards north to Wilimington. Few freight yards needs action along the route, even interchanging with the B&O at Philly.

Looking forward to do anything.

Dave
    PRR-ER Team Secretary (retired...)
    Dave Edwards

One of the freight activities I'm including with the upgrade, Electric Avenue, runs a mixed freight from Pennrose Yard in East Philly to the Waldo Avenue Yard in Port Newark with a stop along the way to pick up loads at Adams Yard. It runs with the same AI Traffic Service I developed for the Senator Vincent activity. This a TON of traffic trains and it will be a challenge to request the main to move up the line. There is about a ten minute window to grab the main between passenger traffic trains. Have not tried picking up yet as I need to complete the Dynamic Shadow & general signal checking to Washington. Baltimore had two phantom signals, part of which (1 head) I fixed 2 years ago but missed removing the rest of the signal sub-object. It's gone now and the route checking goes fast . . . I have been pondering another opportunity, pasting in the completely rebuilt Altoona.

I have almost been convinced to include the PRRFix07 Altoona tiles.
    It's only pasting in two tiles and Ron's work there is just waaay too tempting not to include it. This leaves all track on the two Altoona tiles as Static Objects which I can then easily select each track section and add it into the existing Track Database . . . This is something I have never tried but I heard you guys on the PRR build team did it all the time.

Seems to me an elegant way to get the completely rebuilt Altoona into the route, including thanks to the Open Rails Team, a fully operational Turntable!! So maybe 2-4 weeks to complete conservative estimate to complete along with a couple of activities.
    I'll discuss this further with Ron.
    Back to werk.

regards,

Vince,

I can confirm that you are able to add tiles in with track on them, and the TDB seems to accept that. Mind you, I haven't driven any trains up the Wales Spur to test this, but TSRE hasn't choked on it. So it looks good...

Vince a ... ThumbsUp_Big.jpg you've got the green, go for it!
    I, for one, greatly appreciate all your time and effort...another plus is you are also helping Goku improve TSRE.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Thanks for that!

I appreciate it too! Thank you. Looking forward to it.
    Christopher

Hi Vince,

Thank you for all of your amazing work - I've been running your routes ever since I was a kid! I have two questions:

Will you be making this new patch on the PRR-ER avaliable to the public?
    Since you're redoing a lot of trackwork, will this corrupt old activities currently made for the PRR-ER?

Thanks