Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trainz a new era milwaukee road route

Default trainz a new era milwaukee road route

i am huge milwaukee road fan and noticed that "trainz a new era" has a milwaukee road route from avery to drexel. since i have never used trainz a new era, i have a few questions:

1. can you create consists and run trains on this route like "quick drives" in ts2018?

2. what are any opinions of this milwaukee road route?

3. if i purchased this route, would i need to d/l any updates or any other dlc?

4. has anybody purchased this route through "steam?"

thanks for any info as i know nothing about trainz..........

Hi 66 --

1. Yes, very easily and very quick. In the opening menu, highlight the route / View Sessions / Create Session. From the Trains (rolling stock) flyout, select an item of rolling stock and place it on track. Continue to make a consist. From the Rules menu set the time of day and other parameters. Save. Go into Driver and drive the consist. It's also possible to add and remove rolling stock while driving. This video shows how (view full screen / 1080p):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOmcTXn7tsI

2. Don't know. It's part of the Delux T:ANE and also a DLC add-on to the basic T:ANE. Long routes bore me (at heart I'm a switcher) so I've never bothered to install it, even though I have the Deluxe version.

3. No. Well, you may need to patch T:ANE. But the route and its sessions and a whole heap of additional content (locomotives, freight cars, track, structures, textures, ... ) come built-in. And there is also a wealth of free material on the N3V Download Station.

4. Probably hundreds of thousands. But I'd go for the download version from the N3V site. The patches and updates are available earlier with this version.

If you have been using the Dovetail Games simulation, be advised that in Trainz you will not see the incredible detailed and flowing graphics you have become used to. The DTG game is visually stunning. Far, far better than Trainz.

What you will find, however, is a simulation that can be FUN, both in constructing routes and in running trains on them. Once you get the hang of it, though admittedly it's taken me a decade or so, you should be able to knock out something like this is a week or so:

All the content in the video is free -- either built-in or from the Trainz Download Station.

Phil
    Last edited by philskene; 03-27-2018 at 11:50 PM.

phil,

thank you very much for all of the info. i have to admit, your awesome layout/routes are part of the reason i want to try trainz.

i was thinking about purchasing "trainz a new era," is that what you would suggest?

i went to the trainz portal to the trainz store. is that where you suggest i purchase "trainz a new era?"

thanks again for your assistance/info.........

I'm a huge fan of the Trainz products (have been a supporter from day 1). My only complaint has been and remains the cameras (along a million other users) but other than that it is a superb platform upon which to enjoy trains.

If I may, I'd suggest buying Model Railroad 2017. it's a great product -- much like TANE but with a number of model RR layouts available.

KevinB

Here is the link:

https://store.trainzportal.com/

You have three choices -- T:ANE, T:ANE Delux and TMR2017.

Delux has built-in content not included in T:ANE and TMR2017. The missing built-in content may or may not be on the Download Station.
    T:ANE Delux and T:ANE have content not included in TMR2017. The missing built-in content may or may not be on the Download Station.
    TMR2017 has content not included in T:ANE Delux and T:ANE. The missing built-in content may or may not be on the Download Station.

The layouts in TMR2017 can be purchased as DLC for use in T:ANE and T:ANE Delux. The layouts in T:ANE Delux can be purchased as DLC for use in T:ANE.

T:ANE is by far the biggest seller. I build all my routes and layouts in T:ANE. They use only built-in or Download Station content. They will certainly work in T:ANE Delux. They may or may not work in TMR2017.

The choice is yours.

If you do purchase one of the versions and are serious about Trainz you will certainly need a First Class Ticket. This allows unlimited and faster downloads from the Download Station.

Phil

thanks kevin and phil, that was the info i needed.

i will get the "trainz a new era (t:ane) Platinum Edition." once i figure things out, the "trainz model r.r. 2017" should keep me busy.

since i am not great with computers, i have a question: is the download/install process for t:ane and model trainz model r.r. 2017 easy or is there specific info i need to be aware of?

thanks again for assisting this trainz noob..........

I reinstalled T:ANE about a month ago and I remember nothing particularly unusual about the installer. IIRC, it's about like any other game auto-installer. I placed mine on my D drive, away from the C: Program Files (x86) folder, like I do for all of the programs I intend to edit.

I would like to recommend the purchase of a First Class Ticket, even one of the short-time low-cost options. In my history with Trainz dating back to 2006, I find that I download the most add-on content within the first month of installation. Once you see the amount of add-on content available, you'll likely be interested in routes and trains beyond what comes with the base game. I think I downloaded a few gigs worth of content from the Download Station in the first two weeks, and not much since then. The First Class Ticket really helps this process if you can afford it.

Beware that Trainz has made game changes since 2012 and some of the older routes and content produce headaches in T:ANE. A number of add-ons show errors in T:ANE, but I fixed all but about a dozen of mine using a few simple tools and techniques.

Tyler

Phil, The TMR2017 product: Is the core of this version essentially what you came up with for a model layout some years back?
    Also....does it include any rolling stock or does that all have to be downloaded?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

66 -

Download and installation is straight forward. From memory though, when first starting T:ANE there is a pop-up message, something about initialising game engine. I think for me that took maybe five minutes. Some have reported up to 20 minutes. Then it might do a data base rebuild. For me this takes about 15 seconds.

Once that is completed, go into options to set up screen resolution, Download Station log in details, ... .

I suspect you may have to download the deluxe content. There should be a pop-up when you enter the game.

The thing that you MUST do is master Manage Content. The filters are useful, eg they can be set to Installed = True / Built-in = False to shown content that you have installed. Selecting and right click brings up an additional menu.

Use this link to browse content on the Download Station:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/

Then use Manage Content (filters -- Installed = False / Name = ... ) to install.

Then feel free to fiddle with layouts from the Download Station (some built-in layouts cannot be edited) - poke and prod, manipulate, dissect ... . You will quickly learn about how they are made. At the end delete and install again.

Tyler --

Yep. Faulty content; missing dependencies. Trainz has always been thus.

What I say with confidence is that all my layouts us only built-in and Download Station content. All but a very few of my sessions do too. With the sessions if anything external is required I give a download link.

seagoon --

It was this video that got me started with model Trainz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_X5...ature=youtu.be

It made me realise that I'd been constructing model railroads all along. Now I knew how to actually make them look like model railroads. The video uses dig holes to created the illusion of the floor and baseboard. I now use terra forming.

Rolling stock in TMR17? Yes, there is a good built-in selection. More can, of course, be downloaded from the Download Station.

Phil
    Last edited by philskene; 03-29-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks, Phil.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0