Thread: Amtrak Metroliners

Default Amtrak Metroliners

Hello, a question and maybe a request. Have any of the PC Silverliners, specifically the type in the F/L by
    Steve Thomas.
    , been repainted or "patched" to Amtrak Services?

I was thinking of using these on the NEC to replace some of the Metroliner services, since there is no viable cab for them, or is there? I tried the one in here but it just doesn't look right to me.

Also were any of these intermixed into Amtrak service with other variations in the early days of Amtrak?

Thanks.

??? Metroliners/Silverliners not the same thing?

There's a Metroliner driving cab in the library but NO metroliner sets with pantograph/power cars.

Seems like a glaring omission in the F/L to me?

The PC Silverliner sets are excellent though.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I don't believe that the PC (ex-PRR) Silverliners were ever in Amtrak service ... IIRC for a short time after PC they were operated by Conrail, but even then were running in the SEPTA livery ... thus I'm not aware of any Silverliner models in Amtrak paint schemes. Others on the forum may have different or additional info on the real-world Silverliners. The nearest model I know of to the true Amtrak 'Metroliner' is the "close but no cigar" NALW-KLW unit here in the F/L.

E2A -- @ Geoff regarding 'Silverliner' vs. 'Metroliner':

The term 'Metroliner' has multiple meanings in this context ... the PRR/PC 'Silverliner' EMUs were closer in appearance to the 1950's New Haven 4400-series 'Washboard' EMUs than they were to the late 1960's Budd 'Metroliner' EMUs. The latter were intended as high-speed trains dedicated to the NEC Washington DC - NY City market, introduced in the last days of PC and then run by Amtrak for several years. In the late 70's or early 80's, Amtrak began to retire the Metroliner EMUs, replacing them with 'traditional' electric locomotive-hauled trains running the same corridor - branded as 'Metroliner Service'. Acela Service fully replaced the locomotive-hauled Metroliner Service by (I think) 2005 or 2006. Again, others may have additional info or insight on this topic.
    Last edited by trs666; 03-28-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Thank you both for that information. After exhausting myself with modifying the GO transit Single level car, I think I will leave any modifications to the experts for a decent cab car for these trains.

If someone wanted to repaint one of the PC sets into Amtrak, I don't think there would be much push-back. ;-) Even a Conrail version of those excellent models.

Quote Originally Posted by trs666 View Post
    I don't believe that the PC (ex-PRR) Silverliners were ever in Amtrak service ... IIRC for a short time after PC they were operated by Conrail, but even then were running in the SEPTA livery ... thus I'm not aware of any Silverliner models in Amtrak paint schemes. Others on the forum may have different or additional info on the real-world Silverliners. The nearest model I know of to the true Amtrak 'Metroliner' is the "close but no cigar" NALW-KLW unit here in the F/L.

E2A -- @ Geoff regarding 'Silverliner' vs. 'Metroliner':

The term 'Metroliner' has multiple meanings in this context ... the PRR/PC 'Silverliner' EMUs were closer in appearance to the 1950's New Haven 4400-series 'Washboard' EMUs than they were to the late 1960's Budd 'Metroliner' EMUs. The latter were intended as high-speed trains dedicated to the NEC Washington DC - NY City market, introduced in the last days of PC and then run by Amtrak for several years. In the late 70's or early 80's, Amtrak began to retire the Metroliner EMUs, replacing them with 'traditional' electric locomotive-hauled trains running the same corridor - branded as 'Metroliner Service'. Acela Service fully replaced the locomotive-hauled Metroliner Service by (I think) 2005 or 2006. Again, others may have additional info or insight on this topic.
    Following on this a bit: the 1960s-70s EMU Metroliners were pretty quick - on test, they got to near 150mph, though they normally ran at no more than 120 (~200 km/hr). In other words, "high speed" for the time but about the same top speed as the Northeast Regionals today. The Amfleet cars are actually fairly similar to the Metroliner EMUs, and if I recall stories correctly some of the EMU cab cars were stripped of motors and electrical equipment but kept their cabs and control equipment; they were used as push-pull cab cars with locomotive-powered Amfleet trains. General appearance was similar to Amfleet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Following on this a bit: the 1960s-70s EMU Metroliners were pretty quick - on test, they got to near 150mph, though they normally ran at no more than 120 (~200 km/hr). In other words, "high speed" for the time but about the same top speed as the Northeast Regionals today. The Amfleet cars are actually fairly similar to the Metroliner EMUs, and if I recall stories correctly some of the EMU cab cars were stripped of motors and electrical equipment but kept their cabs and control equipment; they were used as push-pull cab cars with locomotive-powered Amfleet trains. General appearance was similar to Amfleet.
    As I understood it (yet again) track condition put the brake on the speed that the metroliners were really capable of?

Their similarity to the Amfleet cars is striking though as the following shows
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-s...oliner1968.jpg
    It would be really great if someone could model a set of these

What I knew less about was just how long lived and how many versions of the Silverliner there were:-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverliner
    Again a few more current "state of the art" models to supplement the excellent model by Steve Thomas would be good.

In view of the routes available there are some obvious older models (good for their day and the hardware limitations they ran on) that could do with an update. MP54's spring to mind. The original Jeff Link models were updated 7 years ago now.

I guess those of you that side of the pond (like us this side of the pond) for whom passenger traffic in EMU's and DMU's is part of your everyday Railroad experience understand my enthusiasm but those of you who's experience of what railroading is all about is encapsulated by "Run8" are left scratching your heads in puzzlement .
    Geoff
    UK

Well said Geoff! Those are the "Metroliners" that I am familiar with, and got to see on irregular visits to the NY State areas.

During those glorious days we also got to see the RTG in service along the Hudson as well as some of the old Pennsylvania Green Commuter cars.

It would seem that there are people who would appreciate an OR train of this type, as well as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Well said Geoff! Those are the "Metroliners" that I am familiar with, and got to see on irregular visits to the NY State areas.

During those glorious days we also got to see the RTG in service along the Hudson as well as some of the old Pennsylvania Green Commuter cars.

It would seem that there are people who would appreciate an OR train of this type, as well as me.
    Well for a kick off there's the excellent LIRR route that just cries out for some state of the Art commuter trains. If there's one "disconnect" in the efforts of the model making community it would seem to be that there is often loads of stock for roads where few state of the art routes exist and perversely there are some excellent newer routes that cry out for more updated stock.

I guess if you like ALL railway activity you enjoy the challenges that different sorts of traffic brings ? ....but sadly there seems to be a sort of "sports fan" loyalty amongst some folk towards a specific road, era or type of traffic
    Geoff
    UK

Yes Geoff! The PRR East, LIRR, NEC 4.0, Metro North, Blue Comet, and MBTA all come to mind.

I also believe we have enough BNSF locos to do us for a while, most are excellent updates though, so the talent is there.