Thread: Can an Activity be Cloned?

Default Can an Activity be Cloned?

[I]I have an activity named ACTIVITY1 that has hundreds of "Loose Consists" and lots of AI traffic trains.
    The activity runs perfectly with frequent meets between 2,3 & 4 AI trains. A real fun runner.
    Some of these meets involve PLAYER1's trains meeting say a passing freight AI train. I had this thought it'd be neat if I could be driving THAT particular freight AI train.
    ++I want to make a second activity, ACTIVITY2 that will run and use the exact AI & Loose consists as ACTIVITY1 does but has me driving one of the AI traffic trains.++

In ACTIVITY1 the AI freight is routed through several well populated yards just aching for some switching and pickup/drop moves but of course in the activity it's only an AI freight you pass along the way.

In ACTIVITY2 I want to be driving that freight I see in ACTIVITY1.
    In ACTIVITY2 I want to see all the AI traffic seen during the running of ACTIVITY1

So basically ACTIVITY2 is an exact copy of In ACTIVITY1 but with a different Player Service. The Player Service will be one of the AI Traffic Services used in ACTIVITY1.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Vince

I think your overthinking the project.

Resave the Activity with a new name and open it.

Then for the player select the AI service you want as a player.

Then go to the Traffic Pattern and delete the AI traffic you are now using as a player from the Pieces of Traffic box.

Then select the old player service and give it the time you want to insert it as a AI traffic piece.

Note: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, if you change anything in the service of the old player and AI service you just switched, you need to give them a new name to use for service, otherwise you will mess up the other activity.
    I would select Use as template when selecting them and give them a new name, just in case.
    Rick
    http:\\mononrr.com
    MONON-2

Thanks Rick.
    Two things I want to preserve from the first activity:
    1. The Traffic pattern . . .No timing changes at all. . . . except the AI that I will use for the Player will be removed.
    ...I'm not ever going to change anything in the Traffic pattern except the AI I'll use as player. And I DO see that even removing a single AI will louse up the pattern used by Activity1, so the patter will be renamed to something logical, perhaps Activity2Traffic.

2. The Loose Consists. All of them. There are many. This is a must and I see by saving as a different activity will do this.
    Now to give it try.

I think I understand what you've suggested here. Much thanks Rick.

regards,

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Rick, it worked like a charm.

Using one of the AI freight traffic trains from Activity1 as the Player train in Activity2 and the Player train from Activity1 as an AI Traffic train in Activity2 worked well. Passed 'myself' along the way and although I set the "thats me" train at same TT but did not meet at the expected location for which I don't care a whit . . .It looked good passing me at 96 mph/
    Thanks,

Glad to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy
    Rick
    http:\\mononrr.com
    MONON-2

Check out Activity Changer. http://msts.juliane-und-torben.de/
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Another thing you could do is take your present Activity and "store it". By this I mean,copy it to another Folder external to your MSTS or Open Rails folder.I call mine "Open Rails Activity Storage" and store it on "My Computer".Once you do that,you can change your Activity to your hearts content and still have your original unchanged copy.Comes in handy for scenes that you are referring to,as well as running your original Activity with changes,eg different AI service,static consists,different pick-ups or drop-offs etc.Brian