Thread: Terrtex Clarification

Default Terrtex Clarification

Pardon my ignorance on this subject, still learning to dive in and modify things, some for the better.

Is the "Terrtex" of a route the defining Ground Cover? Can it be changed to another type of ground cover, such as the predominately green of most routes to a Sandy-Desert Type ground cover without destroying the route?

Is it as easy as just changing the ACE files and where they are read in the route hierarchy? Will this change affect anything else?

Thank you for any help on this. I want to keep it simple if possible, I have found some reading on this, but again it is a reference mostly for starting from scratch. A very nice change was made to the Terrtex in the Surfliner Route to more reflect the actual ground cover there.

One last bit, does the size of the ACE files have to match? That is if they are 520 x 520 can they be replaced with larger ones?

Don,

The "terrtex" is whatever texture covers the ground in a given part of a route. The term itself is only used in the name of the folder that contains the terrain textures. One can change the terrain textures of a route without wrecking it. You shouldn't change its location in the route hierarchy - rather, just add the texture to the route's terrtex folder, and use a route editing software to change the texture used in that area. Oh, and 520x520 isn't a texture size, you're probably thinking of 512x512. They can be replaced with larger ones, but on routes intended for distribution, it isn't recommended, as the file size adds up quickly

One further note for the moment on terrtex files -
    If you replace one called "neil", with another of your choice, that's fine. But, "neil" may also have other boundary files in his family called "neil_weed", or "neil_gravel", suggesting that these files are part neil and part weed or gravel.
    Make sense? So unless you do some further texture editing, you may end up with mismatched texture files which will stand out like a sore thumb.
    I have spent many hours editing files to remedy this, and have come up with different variations of the same file type (half grass, half tarmac...or half grass, half dirt - these kinds of files)
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Ah, yes, thank you for that info. I meant 512 x 512 - duh! Old mind acting up again. I ran into that situation with a very "interestingly painted house by changing a texture that was used in multiple places.

I will do some experimenting and see what happens. That green just gets too boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance on this subject, still learning to dive in and modify things, some for the better.

Is the "Terrtex" of a route the defining Ground Cover?
    Don,
    Would you mind telling us if you are using MSTS RE or TSRE5 as your editor? There are some process differences you should be aware of.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

I am using TSRE5, MSTS no longer works for me.

Thank you.

You can simply swap terrain.ace for a different file to get a different default texture.
    Recolored terrain.jpg

"You can simply swap terrain.ace for a different file to get a different default texture."

True, but I'll loop back again to my post above on what to be aware of when doing this. May not be applicable in all routes, but certainly enough to where it's something to note
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.