Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CSS coil cars

Default CSS coil cars

I have started on the last pack of coil cars and finished making up the first 3 cars from the CSS. I still have MP and NW to make up. I am sorry i don't like to make things for BN BNSF CN CSX UP NS as there is more than enough to cover those. I made the CP coil cars cause I actually liked the red color the CP uses.

anyways here is the new CSS car.

CSSfinished.jpg

I was surprised to find out that CSS did paint the whole underside of the cars black, guess it's a good way to hide dirt. Also, the orange is the correct color paint. It looks odd to me but after looking at various pictures Ohama Orange is a tricky color to work with. Also the CSS is slowly replacing the double coil hoods cars with single covered hoods.

What did I learn from the cars.

1 they lasted much longer than other cars and, were built very robustly and durable.
    2 the angle hoods were a very bad idea. They were the first things to be replaced by the round hood. The welding beads were the issue as car up keep had to be done.
    3 New style hoods have a lockdown feature to keep the from blowing off the old style did not.
    Last edited by MsSheare; 04-10-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Very nice. I really do appreciate all you have done on these cars. While I would like to see some NS and CSX, I understand and respect why you don't want to do them.

Well Dave I did finish this up today and I really like how this car came out, besides the CSS cars.

NWfinished.jpg

Looks good Michelle!
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Thank you, Steve.

I have been working on the MoPac cars if anyone knows what the correct font is for the numbers I would be very happy.

MP.jpg

Around 2005 or so I couldn't find an exact font either... (that's very common actually) so I started one... but this one hasn't been touched for years and never got finished due to lack of good examples... I think its reasonably close though. (Hint hint Pete... finish it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Yes, the N&W looks great, MP is looking really good also. I like all of them that you've done so far, excellent job on all of them. I think you said that this is your last pack of coil steel cars. Any plans for future projects?

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    Around 2005 or so I couldn't find an exact font either... (that's very common actually) so I started one... but this one hasn't been touched for years and never got finished due to lack of good examples... I think its reasonably close though. (Hint hint Pete... finish it)

Pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can wait till your done.

I have more car in the works but after these, i am starting on the CP EMD SD30C-ECO sets. I was asked to make all 50 of the units so I am going to make up the just the ace files for the diffrent numbers.

I still have the various ps2 3 bay hoppers to make up for the IC Milwaukee Road. PC/ CR and of course the B&O / C&O / WM

and finally various box cars, after that we will see what comes along.

That sounds great, looking forward to all of them.