Thread: New Starter Advice

Default New Starter Advice

Looking for starter advice/guidance. I’m brand new to the world of train simulators in fact I’d forgotten I even bought Train Simulator 15 in a steam sale one day!! Anyway, I’m very familiar with simulators in general having played FSX, European Truck, American Truck and even Farm Sim 15 and 17. Given my significant time in FSX I’m aware of the ongoing cost of seeking to improve the experience with both freeware and payware (especially payware – I dread to think how much I spent on FSX addons).

I appreciate all things with simulators are down to personal taste but through various bits of research and many hours watching YouTube I’m thinking of starting with some basic initial investment. I thought FSX addons were a financial draw until I started looking at the Train Sim addon world!!

To start with I’m looking at Northern and specifically North Eastern routes with diesel or diesel/electric around the 60’s, 70’s 80’s era. I really want to start with the Weardale and Teesdale Route addon and from what I’ve picked up it seems I also require both the European and US Loco & Asset Packs for many of the additional scenarios in the workshop.

I just wondered if there are any suggestions of other “essential” or recommended addons to improve the experience given the limited content of the base game without taking out a bank loan.

DTG (Dovetail Games) are having a Spring Sale on right this very minute, over on their website, which you have to register on beforehand, it's free of course to do, have a look here - https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/springsale

I can heartily recommend a Payware route called Woodhead, which depicts the classic railway line that used to run through Yorkshire across to Lancashire, and depending on how old you are, you might remember this line when it was in operation up until 1981, it featured the electric locomotives Classes 76 and 77, now, it is also used by many creators for the scenery assets especially, for a lot of other freeware routes, North East Rails by Joseph Whittaker being one of the best freeware routes on offer, you can obtain it from here -

https://www.trainsimdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55

If you want to buy any other routes from DTG in their Sale, I understand that it runs until next Monday 16th April, Weardale and Teesdale is a good one as is Settle and Carlisle and also worth obtaining is West Coast Main Line North (Carlisle to Glasgow), have a look at what is on sale that might appeal to you, these are also utilised for quite a few freeware routes, so having them is also beneficial. There are also lots of locomotive and wagon packs as well on sale, at lower prices than normal, but, not everything has been reduced for some reason, if they aren't discounted, then, you will have to wait until the Summer Sale on Steam, which is generally around July.

Another freeware route offering is the one by John Griffiths, on this forum somewhere, it's Bromsgrove to Birmingham, Derby, Chesterfield, Sheffield and Manchester, so, it's quite a biggie, I just can't remember what Payware routes you need to have to operate it though, I'll check that out for you, the route is still being constructed though, so, it hasn't been finished yet.

Another route being worked on, but, very nearly finished, is the Ironworks at Skinningrove in North Yorkshire, by Mark Thompson, another excellent freeware offering with custom hand built blast furnaces and other foundry assets, worth having a look for that as well. I don't have Facebook, but, you might find out more info by going on his page and this is the thread on this forum from a couple of year's ago.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...eelworks-route

Come back on here if you have any further questions.

And also, do you have RW Tools, if not, then you need to obtain that as well, it's a free utility, but, invaluable. You need to get the full version 7.00 and then get the patch that takes it up to version 7.034.

http://www.rstools.info/downloads.html

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 04-11-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Thank you so much ex-railwayman you have saved me a tidy sum with the sale recommendation. I now have Weardale and Teesdale as well as Settle and Carlisle. Also grabbed Isle of Wight even though it wasn't something I was looking at

Thank you also for the other advice I'll look into your suggestions. Can I just ask what the RW Tools utility does? I've downloaded it but haven't done anything else with it yet.

Really appreciate the help

Cheers

Glad you seem to be getting the hang of things. The RW Tools utility is like an editor that you use outside of the game to change locomotives and rolling stock in scenarios, for example. It can also check all of your installed routes for missing assets, especially, the freeware ones which utilise Payware routes and it tells you if you are missing anything important, like track, signals, viaducts, bridges, etc, etc, and it gives you the name of the developer whose asset it is, so, you need to go and hunt it down on the internet and put it into your game, it's a real help in informing you of anything that you really need to install to be able to get round these route without anything messing your enjoyment up. It also unpacks .AP folders automatically for you and lots of other important functions, it's an invaluable tool, as DTG never gave the community anything like this to use and it takes a lot of annoyance out of life, and having the chance to exchange things and fiddle about editting texture files, etc, it's really in depth, and it needs a lot of patience and reading to get the best out of it, once you've got it up and running it'll help you no end, and there is plenty for you to learn.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 04-11-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Thanks again for the information. I'll try setting up the RW Tools utility this weekend.

The Dovetail Games sale has proved too tempting and my expenditure levels continue to rise

Another question if you don't mind - is there a way of setting up a joystick or maybe my flight throttle quadrants to operate the levels in train sim? Just trying to utilize some of my kit

Cheers

Not that I'm aware of, I also have a Flightstick when I was a Flightsimmer, but, it isn't really compatible for driving trains with, there are far too many different levers and switches to programme into your Flightstick to begin with, just imagine how many different types of locomotive there are, diesel, steam and electric, and if you are a ''proper train driver' especially, when you get onto the footplate of a Steam locomotive, I would suggest you stick to using your HUD and mouse. Some folks do use a 'Raildriver', but, these can be very, very expensive, hundreds of pounds/dollars, so, unless you really feel the need for one of those, I'd just stick to using the basic tools on your keyboard.

Cheerz. Steve.

Use the HUD Steve !!!!! that is cheating buddy.

I sometimes use the cut down HUD (F3) on a new route.

But same as you always use mouse & keyboard, for controls.

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

SabreTE
    Another question if you don't mind - is there a way of setting up a joystick or maybe my flight throttle quadrants to operate the levels in train sim? Just trying to utilize some of my kit
    There is software to allow you to do that - XPadder and Pinnacle Game Studios, PLUS there is a FREE app over on UKTS to do this.
    http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...f=318&t=112879

Remember there are NO AXES as such in TS (unlike FSX) the controls are all based on key strokes to emulate an axis.
    pH