Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats it with people complaining about DTG TS physics system being "bad"?

Default Whats is it with people complaining about DTG TS physics system being "bad"?

Hi,

So I have been thinking, why do I sometimes read people saying that DTG Train Simulator is bad/not realistic?
    I am wondering, what do people mean by that?
    I have never really used DTG Train Simulator for developing Trains and other rolling stock, so I don't know.

Can someone maybe explain this a bit to me?
    Or tell me if you think it isn't bad, and why you think that.

Thanks
    Last edited by timl132; 04-14-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Hi,

I can't explain it as well as others, but a big BLACK mark IMO is the inability to bail-off the independent brake in the native game. Some newer releases have a very good brake script but it's an overlaid bandaid and I'm not sure if all content creators have access to that script.

If you don't model North American railroads, the lack of the bail-off feature may not be a concern.

Again, IMO, the general feel of the game has become better over time. I wish the better brakes could be coded into the game.

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tbundy1982 View Post
    Hi,

I can't explain it as well as others, but a big BLACK mark IMO is the inability to bail-off the independent brake in the native game. Some newer releases have a very good brake script but it's an overlaid bandaid and I'm not sure if all content creators have access to that script.

If you don't model North American railroads, the lack of the bail-off feature may not be a concern.

Again, IMO, the general feel of the game has become better over time. I wish the better brakes could be coded into the game.

Tyler
    Thanks for the reply, well, I don't really model in TS2017/2018 at all, so I don't really know.
    And I don't drive those type of trains, so I don't think I have never used it before, but thanks!
    I would still love to hear from other people too, why you think what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by timl132 View Post
    Hi,
    So I have been thinking, why do I sometimes read people saying that DTG Train Simulator is bad/not realistic?
    Thanks
    Please browse this forum section at UKTrainsim: http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewfor...t&sd=d&start=0
    You will see everything from poor math, lack of understanding physics units, lack of understanding how to use physics units, etc.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    Please browse this forum section at UKTrainsim: http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewfor...t&sd=d&start=0
    You will see everything from poor math, lack of understanding physics units, lack of understanding how to use physics units, etc.
    And DTG doesn't care to improve it, stating it "will break scenarios" when the trains suddenly behave differently.

Also it seems a lot of these bad physics code/habits/decisions have made their way into DTG's new flagship train driving game: Train Sim World. I won't call it a simulation, as at the present its feature set is still very limited and there are a many bugs and design faults still to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    And DTG doesn't care to improve it, stating it "will break scenarios" when the trains suddenly behave differently.

Also it seems a lot of these bad physics code/habits/decisions have made their way into DTG's new flagship train driving game: Train Sim World. I won't call it a simulation, as at the present its feature set is still very limited and there are a many bugs and design faults still to be addressed.
    Thanks for the reply's.
    Ok so, I understand.
    I looked at that forum section, and it has some interesting things, but unfortunatley, they ineed won't fix it.
    Even though, I personaly think, they could just add an option for train creators to select if they want to use the new or old physics system, problems solved i think.
    Also, shouldn't these problems be solved in TSW as they invented some new system called simugraph?

Well, we'll se what DTG makes of it in the future.

Hi Folks,

And now DTG's primary focus is bringing the same mess to a much larger community and therefore the more lucrative world of Flight Sims...

Regards,
    Scott

Well, as an ex-Flightsimer, Scott, hard luck, but, you get what you pay for.......

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Or the farce with modern DMU transmission where instead of properly simulating the fluid drive and transitions, each notch simply acts as a speed setting - whether going up or down hill. There are some traction units with good physics but you really have to be selective. Even some third party items are not immune - I recently bought then refunded one of the RhB rolling stock packs as that also had the throttle simply setting a speed hold. If I want model railway/DCC style physics I'll play Trainz!
    Vern.

You would be better off playing Trainz, as at least it has a wealth of others things you can do.

That do not exist in TS20xx

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust