Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Precision GP9

Default Precision GP9

So I needed a break from doing the last set of coil cars and I had this in the works for a long time. Not sure if anyone would be interested in it or not. Just need to do the paperwork and the new nose and side number. But tell me what you all think.

Pcompleted.jpg

Looks good to me. What shape is it?

Personally, I would not mind seeing some Rarus RR.

Robert

Sli bn gp 9

Weathering looks good but the lettering and cab side signage looks too new? Try lightening the lettering to a gray and dirty up the cab side signage a bit? Even if they did slap new signs on a beat up loco it looks wrong ...and if their loco's get that dirty the signage isn't going to stay that sharp for long

Also is this shape still available in any Trainsimulations pack? Everytime I look stuff seems to have disappeared or changed
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Boy that *does* look good! And it's really needed.

These units were recently painted in their era of the seventies and they didn't run long enough for the paint to get too beat up.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Weathering looks good but the lettering and cab side signage looks too new? Try lightening the lettering to a gray and dirty up the cab side signage a bit? Even if they did slap new signs on a beat up loco it looks wrong ...and if their loco's get that dirty the signage isn't going to stay that sharp for long

Also is this shape still available in any Trainsimulations pack? Everytime I look stuff seems to have disappeared or changed

I know what your saying Geoff but its really not done yet. I still have more to do the funny thing is the sign on the cab was actually screwed into the metel so it took me a long time to find one they did it with most of the locomotives The one good sign i did find was nearly stripped of yellow paint and was shiney from the metal showing under it.

Thanks Chris I still have a green one to make as well I am going to change the shape file and go with the CNW GP 9 set as they did get most of the used GP9 from the company.

Looks good! You are more than welcome to rip the metal sign off of my PNC GP10s to reuse if you prefer the solid-color background. I used Pete Willard's ICG font for the lettering on my GP10s, but just came to realize that non-Paducah locomotives have a VERY different font for the "PRECISION". It's kind of wacky and an exact match would probably require manually tracing it from a photo. Use Pete's ICG font for the cab-side numbers, I think. I can't remember what I used to make the circular PNC logo on the front.

The useful part about these Precision locomotives is that they aren't tied to any certain railroad, only a time-period. I always believed that BLW/ZT could easily make a new payware pack just by using their existing locomotive packs and patching them to Precision National. I've seen photos of F-unit consists where every locomotive was a different railroad livery, only tied together by the yellow PNC logo and a renumber. This only lasted for a few years in the early 1970s, but, boy, were they colorful!

Tyler

Great Looking GP9!

Keep up the good work!
    Yardmaster of the Great American Moose Paint Shops.
    a Moose Interchange Rail Company division.
    http://mjrmstsrepaints.proboards.com
    TTFN!

Thanks Tyler I did my PNC circle with just paint then added the Green layer edited to the circle to keep all the details. I spent more time weathering and rusting the unit today and I nearly have the green locomotive done now. The green ones always seemed to look better than the yellow and green. It was odd knowing the top was painted Reefer Yellow and a green that was close to Maine Central Green.
    front.jpg

side.jpg

Here is the Green.

green.jpg
    Last edited by MsSheare; 04-27-2018 at 11:12 PM.

That's great, they're looking good! I like the green. I don't know how many locomotives they had painted like this. From what I gathered, if you see locomotives numbered 125 and 176, it didn't mean that there were 50 locomotives in-between.

Tyler