Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dovetail is fail. . .

Default Dovetail is fail. . .

. . . in terms of Flight Sim World. They just made the official announcement. The reason I mention this is because they are Train Sim World as well.

A really good assessment and critique on their failed development and marketing strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ujKNoCVvVM.

It all sounds familiar in regards to TSW as well. On the other-hand it might benefit the latter. Who knows?

Note: I never purchased or supported TSW for personal reasons. I only read reviews which only confirmed my intuition: I won`t support companies that are obsessed with money over respect to community and passion for development. Run8 demonstrates the latter.
    Last edited by Ezra; 04-29-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Well, If one of our main competitors dies then maybe other efforts underway will benefit from it.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

A really good assessment and critique on their failed development and marketing strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ujKNoCVvVM.
    An EXCELLENT analysis. My hat is off to that guy.

The problem w/ software game companies is the difficulty of balancing investment to cash flow. 80-90% or more of all revenue for any PC game occurs inthe first 8 weeks. >90% of the manufacturing costs occur before the game is put on sale (there are no reproduction costs to speak of, each extra copy sold costs virtually nothing to make and sell).

That makes each new product your basic "Bet the Farm" wager. Those first 8 weeks need to cover all of your investment expenses AND pay for subsequent support and finishing up the obligatory add-on product to be released next year. If the money doesn't roll in, the product sup[port and development team needs to be axed ASAP.

In contrast, consider fan supported Open Source; Usually they are not in it for the money; Development costs are measured in contributed labor. Once you take money out of hte equation it can run on and on for a very long time -- exactly what we saw with MSTS, FS, and perhaps others as well.

If you want a game, go buy it.
    If you want a hobby, go help the community, especially if an Open Source emulator is in the works.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    An EXCELLENT analysis. My hat is off to that guy.

The problem w/ software game companies is the difficulty of balancing investment to cash flow. 80-90% or more of all revenue for any PC game occurs inthe first 8 weeks. >90% of the manufacturing costs occur before the game is put on sale (there are no reproduction costs to speak of, each extra copy sold costs virtually nothing to make and sell).

That makes each new product your basic "Bet the Farm" wager. Those first 8 weeks need to cover all of your investment expenses AND pay for subsequent support and finishing up the obligatory add-on product to be released next year. If the money doesn't roll in, the product sup[port and development team needs to be axed ASAP.

In contrast, consider fan supported Open Source; Usually they are not in it for the money; Development costs are measured in contributed labor. Once you take money out of hte equation it can run on and on for a very long time -- exactly what we saw with MSTS, FS, and perhaps others as well.

If you want a game, go buy it.
    If you want a hobby, go help the community, especially if an Open Source emulator is in the works.
    There is plenty of Hard drive space for all simulators, how about we don’t bash any or promote another on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

??Why is this topic even in this forum?
    There is a thread in the more -appropriate TSW forum which was started a week ago.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Angry

Same here this is the Run8 forum and the guy on the YT video just likes the sound of his own voice.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by SCLALINE View Post
    There is plenty of Hard drive space for all simulators, how about we don’t bash any or promote another on this forum

I saw no specific simulator names mentioned, let alone bashed.

What I saw was a discussion on the economic realities of software production in a niche market, and some comparisons on costs and rewards of each approach.

For the flight simmer tho, it seems they will have a bit more hard drive space available once more after May
    Last edited by geepster775; 04-29-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    ??Why is this topic even in this forum?
    There is a thread in the more -appropriate TSW forum which was started a week ago.

My guess is not everyone was on line a week ago, so some may have missed the opportunity the rest of you had to sit around in the room filled with cigar smoke while sipping brandy and discussing their place in the first class section aboard the software development titanic.

Default Dovetail is fail. . .

I need cigars and Brandy, anyway this is a Run8 forum and not a TSW, Openrails, or trains forum, there are better places for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    ....the opportunity the rest of you had to sit around in the room filled with cigar smoke while sipping brandy and discussing their place in the first class section aboard the software development titanic.
    How droll.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0