Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use Of Google Maps API May Cost You

Default Use Of Google Maps API May Cost You

Picked up this little gem from our friends at RWA:

http://railworksamerica.com/forum/vi...hp?f=7&t=20025

While on the surface it seems TS20xx RE use unlikely to exceed the "free" allowance, i would be very uneasy about giving debit or credit card details to Google to process at their behest. Mistakes can happen, without a meter, data use could inadvertently be exceeded. We're not talking about small bills here, either. $200 or about £150 in UK language is quite a bit of cash to part with and presumably like a taxi fare once you hit the threshold the dial starts spinning.

Of course you don't absolutely need the overlay to build a route in TS20xx and sometimes I found it a hindrance, but equally where the resolution is good it can be an invaluable tool. Unlikely to happen, at least not from DTG, but a plug in or overlay for Open Street Map might be a better alternative?

And the mind has to wonder, how long before use of Google Earth goes the same way with a licence needing to be obtained with card details as security?
    Vern.

According to the know it alls on the other forum, you are unlikely to come close to the free usage limit.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Technically but who knows and I bet Google are a nightmare when it comes to customer "support" for a refund of any money taken erroneously.
    Vern.

Please don't kick me in the nuts, Vern. I am only the bearer of misinformation.

Doesn't affect me buddy, i have stopped using anything to do with DTG or N3V.

Mike.

Vern, I'm slightly confused here. (Sorry, hard core toothache has been keeping me awake 19 hours now, me mind is a wee bit blank....)

Are you saying it'll cost money for the API?? Even the freebie?? Or is DTG going to dig themselves a deeper hole and start charging $$$ to use the RE??

For once it appears this not anything to do with DTG. According to the posting at RWA Google are introducing a charge for the API though this will only kick in above a certain data amount. Therefore you will need to register a means of payment so they can charge you $200 if you creep over the allowance by 1 byte. So technically the service is no longer "free" but a paid service subject to a free use allowance, that's how I read it.

Doesn't affect me buddy, i have stopped using anything to do with DTG or N3V.
    Same here, well at least the former as I'm still having the occasional plod away in Surveyor. Some very nice Caledonian coaches just released which are well up to the standard of what passes for payware in TS2018 and they need a little branch line to run on. As regards TS2018, more likely to build another route in MSTS at this point!
    Vern.

Yeah it is all down to Google, i don't have any means of online payment. So that would leave me out anyway and most of all i am more than happy with Run8 and also DRS.

I would recommend you try the Open Rails route editor, Vern. Not the finished article yet, but already way ahead of the MSTS editor.

Mike.

I just fired up RW to see if anything changed with 2018 (nope same old stuff, same old issues). However, I loaded up the last route that I created a few years ago and tried to add a little bit of track in an area I hadn't worked before. Kicked ctrl-G, got a set of spinning blue circles like usual, but no maps. Checked to see if my API key was still in place, Yup! Checked google and found that they have made the change you mentioned, that now requires a credit card or bank account number ("for identity purposes", yeah). Apparently in mid-July old API codes were killed off until the user re-registers. I re-registered, got a new key, entered the key in RW, and wouldn't you know it, still no maps. Waited over 5 minutes with spinning blue rings just to be sure, but nothing.

It is amazing that there has been such a minor, low key response here on the forum. Says a lot about the small number of people that are building routes today compared to the busy days several years ago when I was active. Back then the internet lines would be melting from the RW message activity if something like this occurred.

If anyone comes across any hints on how to get the api to work again in RW 2018, please send me a private message.

Thanks,

Intel i7-2600K 3.4 Ghz, nVidia GTX-560 1 mb superclocked, Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 MB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 RAM 16 GB, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Cooler Master GeminII Air Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by madoke View Post
    If anyone comes across any hints on how to get the api to work again in RW 2018, please send me a private message.
    You will find a bit more about this in this thread on UKTrainsim http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...f=361&t=149384
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

That is an old (May) discussion at UKTS though, not now it has been implemented.

Back to Trainz or MSTS it is, then...
    Vern.