Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use Of Google Maps API May Cost You

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    That is an old (May) discussion at UKTS though, not now it has been implemented.

Back to Trainz or MSTS it is, then...
    From the thread 'I really don't think there is much to worry about as a TS user, these terms are aimed at commercial users who require vast volumes of data and 24hr tech support.

As an example for the $200 monthly free credit, this allows you 100,000 static map "loads" (what the overlay uses) per month. As someone who has been tinkering in the editor for around 10 days of the last month using the overlay, an account check on my API shows that I only used 1,445 "loads" in those 10 days.'

What is the problem?
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

Something folks seem to have missed is that this isn't about credit cards how many uses are free, I now get no access to the map api even though I have signed up with Google and have loaded the new api key into RW. I now get zero map overlays even if I have followed the rules. I have been using the overlays since they came out, with no problem, so this is something new. They worked just fine just a few months ago. That leads me to think that there is something amiss with the latest update of RW. Can anyone pull up the map overlay on their route? I'd love to get some feedback on that before I go to war with Google.

Intel i7-2600K 3.4 Ghz, nVidia GTX-560 1 mb superclocked, Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 MB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 RAM 16 GB, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Cooler Master GeminII Air Cooling

I am not about to trust Google with my credit or debit card details, regardless of whether or not the data limit is unlikely to be exceeded. They can sod right off! Who is to say the "meter" might not corrupt - we are not talking small change here but $200 if it procs. You can bet your boots a company which manipulates its tax contribution on earnings for commercial functions to the point where several countries have had to resort to legal action, isn't going to show much sympathy to Joe Nobody who for whatever reason broke the limit. TS20xx could suddenly register an excess number of downloads, anything could go wrong.

I will stick with the sims that use OSM and DTG should look into that for their mapping function, though I guess they're not that bothered about hobby level route building as we've seen from the disinterest in providing editors for TSW. Secretly they probably love the idea of fewer freeware routes as they can sell more of their own DLC...

Bunch of clods, the lot of them.
    Vern.

From the FAC for existing API holders;
    " If you choose not to add a billing account, there is a risk that if your usage exceeds $200 in a given month, your Maps API implementation will be degraded or other API requests will return an error"--I take this to mean that if you don't go over $200 in any month it does not affect anyone's api use.(ie,we don't need to bother with any of this new policy or furnish a credit card if you stay under $200)If you had an existing API before June 11 and did nothing it should still work.

My api stopped working yesterday, nothing loads just endless blue circles.

I have had the api key since the function was first included in RW and it always worked previously.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

I found nothing on the Google api site that says anything about being able to use the api without signing up for an account, which requires a credit card or bank account. I've read about the "freemium" mode on several websites, including here, but it does not appear to exist in reality. Everyone who signs up is able to get up to $200 credit each month, making most work by us free. However, you should also note that in the fine print this offer is only good for one year.

None of that matters if RW no longer works with Google overlays. We now have one other person on this site reporting that the api is no longer working. The issue now is finding out if this is an RW problem, or business decision, or what? Is it possible that DTG, as a developer, was also hit by a Google charge and they decided to just not pay the bill? Just speculating, but ... as usual lack of communication breeds rumor, unnecessarily.

Intel i7-2600K 3.4 Ghz, nVidia GTX-560 1 mb superclocked, Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 MB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 RAM 16 GB, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Cooler Master GeminII Air Cooling

Use RW Decal instead if you wish to route build.

Bit more involved, but my own route was originally laid out using Decal.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

3-4 years ago, when I was still hanging on by a thread to the possibility that RW would go back to supporting route builders, I was working on a route that covered an urban area with dense trackwork covering an area of approximately 40 x 40 miles. There are probably few who remember photos I supplied of the Spokane Funnel Route. Very detailed and mostly accurate duplicati9on of roads and buildings in the real city. 1000's of hours of work over 2+ years. It was all set up using decals, 100's of decals. The problem with decals is they can easily move, they can get shifted by the apps that apply them, and even with a powerful machine, some decals will choose to not show due to memory shortages, even with 16 GB. If you lose a decal, it can take a huge amount of time to find out which one in your files is the right one to replace what was lost. New rev's of RW would often cause some decals to either disappear or lose their graphic. Total headache on a big route like that one. When the Google Maps overlay was activated, it was heaven. I have been able to continue work on this route over the years, for my own fascination and fun, and the overlay made it easy and less stressful. If the overlay is no longer available, then I guess I am done working on this last vestige of RW on my agenda. I do not have the patience, or time to recreate all the decals that I no longer have. There are already enough downsides to route building in today's RW without going back to the much more difficult old days of decals. For those who have the time and patience, go for it, but not for me.

For those who weren't around back then, take a look at this link in Dropbox for some views of Spokane Funnel. (slide show) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltbkgqmapt...okane.exe?dl=0

(The route is double this size now.) I have used this slide show in several professional speaking opportunities on what simulation is all about. It was nice when this forum was rolling along with 4-5 or more of these serious routes at any given time. Fun times that are really missed these days. I have tried to duplicate this route on T:ane, some things are easier, but sorry, just ain't the same.

I haven't used RW Decal for years so didn't realise that later versions of TS messed it up.

I also have the same route in TANE as in TS, but enthusiasm for the Trainz version is always on a knife edge.

And frequently comes close to being deleted. Everything is just too "toy town" and the driving experience.

Lacks any sort of immersion factor at all.

Mike.

Not sure if i am reading this right, as these days i am not the brightest penny in the purse.

But just looked at the GE website where my API details are kept.

And i understand that now everyone has to attach a billing account to their project.

If that is the case then, i am done.

Mike.