Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EMD FT 103 B unit?

Default EMD FT 103 B unit?

Just wondering if anyone has a source for a EMD FT103 B unit with dynamic brakes they might be willing to put AAR B trucks under?

I am working on doing a texture for a FT B unit converted into a Generator power car and was looking for a FT DB'ed B unit that could be dropped on AAR B trucks?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has a source for a EMD FT103 B unit with dynamic brakes they might be willing to put AAR B trucks under?

I am working on doing a texture for a FT B unit converted into a Generator power car and was looking for a FT DB'ed B unit that could be dropped on AAR B trucks?

Robert
    Hi Robert,

If you own any of the BLW/ZT EMD FT models, I'd be happy to convert one for you.

Thanks

Rick

Sadly I don't. The unit I am working on is fictional.

Robert

Open Rails 2019-03-13 03-43-46.jpg

Here is an F7B on AAR trucks. I tried it with an FTB body and it just looked really weird. Using the F7B body and original Blomberg bolster spacings, the only modifications necessary were to cut the skirts back around the fuel tank and battery box. All that I have left to do to finish the model is the LODs.

Lou

Lou, Amazing! That looks just like the units the Alaska RR had running around.

How weird did the FT B unit look? There was a couple variations of the FTB. Some of them were FTSB. Short Booster units. Other FT units after they phased out the drawbar method of coupling were a couple feet longer.

Robert

I can probably do the FTSB with couplers at both ends. Assuming that they had the same body length and bolster spacing as the later FBs. If you know of and line drawings or relevant data on those details, it would be a great help.

Lou

Last edited by NW 2156; 03-16-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Those will work perfectly Robert. I don't know why I didn't see those when I went looking for drawings.Thanks!

Lou

The only thing I don't like about those drawings is the lack of the raised dynamic brake section on the roof. I like the way the raised DB resistor grid looks on the FT. Example is the Santa Fe FT units. The Southern RR didn't have the DB resistors on the roof.

Robert

Default Ftsb

Robert, the model is just about done! Have some minor details to do and then build the LODs so I hope to have it done by this coming weekend.

Lou
    Open Rails 2019-04-02 04-33-43.jpgOpen Rails 2019-04-02 04-31-38.jpg