Page 46 of 55 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 Announced

Well it is a bit of a stretch to say a TRS2019 route that doesn't use PBR textures isn't TRS2019. There is a small range of textures, none of which are suited to a British route passing through our typical upland or moorish landscape. The textures don't look good at a distance - immediately evident looking at screenshots of the Sebino route and "Rembrandt's" CPR route they are bloody awful on distant mountains.
    Vern.

I have finished with it , so you boys can suffer on your own.

Told N3V to remove me from their forum and beta test.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Latest upload to the Download Station -- The Klozett RRCo.
    Phil, those street scenes are very realistic.
    You've done a beautiful job on that town.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I have finished with it , so you boys can suffer on your own.
    Can't say I blame you Mike. As said, it is a dysfunctional mess. Spent over half an hour this morning updating the config of some SR EMU's which have had the engine sound removed from the DLS due to some copyright breach. Load up in Driver to be presented with the Budd RDC cab - complete with toilet string horn pull. Switch to the trailer coach and select internal view - same Budd cab. Okay I know it's freeware but there must be better cabs out there. Drove off and it didn't even sound like a UK third rail EMU.

Back in Surveyor and decide to lay some AJS third rail track... Except that TRS2019 regardless of environment settings now covers it with an oily semi gloss sheen. At that point I just gave up. There's no love lost between me and the DTG product as you know, but at least the cabs and sounds have a semblance of reality and the physics is no worse than Trainz.

So I too have currently written off my £55 investment and uninstalled TRS2019. I'm not saying I'll never go back to it but there's little point having a useful route building tool when the rest of it is just so mundane.
    Vern.

It is more of a shame for you Vern, as you do a lot of route building.

It is the easiest editor to use, so that is a plus for your good self.

But the driving and railway operational experience is dismal, as far as realism goes.

I am starting to think, that maybe Trainz is not meant to be a "drive from the cab experience".

But more a follow the trains around and watch them externally game. Like a toy trainset or model railway.

As you know your experience with the SR EMU is not unique in Trainz. Particularly in regards cab views buddy.

What really screwed it all up for me. Was finding out that two payware routes are not allowed and never have been allowed to be merged.

So connecting Kings X - Edinburgh route with Edinburgh - Dundee route is strictly forbidden.

Anyone trying it will be shot at dawn, for even trying it.

I am definitely done Vern, enough is enough.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ..........I am starting to think, that maybe Trainz is not meant to be a "drive from the cab experience".

But more a follow the trains around and watch them externally game. Like a toy trainset or model railway.....
    Mike, that is exactly how Greg Lane originally planned it all those years ago.
    In fact, the works being created by Phil are precisely how Auran saw Trainz being used......"layouts" styled after model railways....which is why the use of the "baseboard" format.

It wasn't until some muggins ( )came along and started pushing the route-creation boundaries that steps were taken to expand beyond that original idea.....and Greg would probably wish that his baby had stayed as conceived.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Mike, that is exactly how Greg Lane originally planned it all those years ago.
    In fact, the works being created by Phil are precisely how Auran saw Trainz being used......"layouts" styled after model railways....which is why the use of the "baseboard" format.

It wasn't until some muggins ( )came along and started pushing the route-creation boundaries that steps were taken to expand beyond that original idea.....and Greg would probably wish that his baby had stayed as conceived.
    Yes, I remember back when Trainz was first announced one of the TV stations here in Brisbane did a segment on the evening news about it as a local company taking on the world with something new and it was described as a model railway on your computer, or words to that effect. All the included routes were clearly in appearance fictional model layouts and ones based on real routes only came along later, even some of the original rolling stock was copied straight from HO toy trainsets without any thought towards prototype realism.

I think philskene's excellent routes show that Trainz is still good for what it was originally designed for at least.

Agree re the model paradigm which is why, despite my bluster, will probably end up putting it back on again in a day or two after floundering around in MSTS or RW. Still it doesn't hurt to clear out the dross now and again, go back to a basic install. As regards the stuff with lousy cabs and sounds, sadly best just to avoid the UK altogether and focus on the German, Russian or Chinese stuff - plus of course our friends from K&L Trainz, all of whom work to a more exacting standard.
    Vern.

Yes i know Bruce, no turning wheels even in CE buddy. Perhaps if they had stuck to that premise, it wouldn't be such a mess.

All your fault for introducing me to the original forum in June 2001

Same as you Vern, it will probably end up installed again here. It's a bloody habit and not a good one.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    What really screwed it all up for me. Was finding out that two payware routes are not allowed and never have been allowed to be merged.
    So connecting Kings X - Edinburgh route with Edinburgh - Dundee route is strictly forbidden.
    Anyone trying it will be shot at dawn, for even trying it.
    Mike.
    Sorry, Mike, exactly what can't you achieve, have the co-ordinates got so bad that you can't add bare baseboards on to either one of them to ''join them up'', is that the problem?

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.