Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This hobby as a passive income?

Rory !
    Over the years I've bought a few payware routes but I still find a lot of them need touching up anyways . Things have really changed from the early days . The newer generations of Simmers are more of the " Rip Open The Box and Run " A lot don't or can't read instructions and since it's not " their fault " the first thing they do is yell for help or claim it's a software or vendor problem . It used to be that we checked and rechecked the " Readme " and every other thing we could possibly think before asking for help or complaining to the vendor .
    Most times it was " Pilot Error " but unless you have the patience of Jobe and a skin like a crocodile I would weigh the " Hassle " against the benefits . I know you really enjoy the hobby - - I would hate to see you loose the shine over payware pressures .
    Just my opinion .

Thanks guys. it's good to get opinions from different sources. It does look like a lot of hard work for very little reward. I wouldn't want to play that game, that's for sure.
    Rory

Rory to much freeware and Scott at DW will tell you the pirates take any thought of a vendor making any type of money so no not worth it.
    Work Safe play hard

"Too much freeware" you say it like it's a bad thing
    :-)
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    "Too much freeware" you say it like it's a bad thing
    :-)
    I take that as "Hurrah to more freeware..." particularly as the subsequent statement confirms what happens with payware - it ends up on the Dark Net and Torrent sites so those who are not averse to getting a virus or bitcoin demand from using such sites, download it for free.
    Vern.

In my opinion, the MSTS/ORTS hobby has entered it's "OpenTTD" phase: it's left to the hard core for the most part, the names of which you see over and over again in these (and other) forums. I've seen this in other hobbies as well, as people, topics, and technology mature: most move on to other things, but a recalcitrant number prefer to remain.

Those who stay with the hobby have a tendency to demand greater and greater fidelity to the prototype and complexity of operation; implementing ORTS physics, for example, is not for the faint of heart. This tendency in turn helps to force out those who do not want to get into the nitty-gritty of the nuts and bolts of programming. So the customer base becomes both small and highly critical.

In this kind of environment, freeware created by those enthusiasts is really the only viable alternative. And that's - again in my opinion - not a bad thing at all. For example, my preferred era is the steam-diesel transition period. I'd love to see commercial models of, say, Pennsy steam and electrics, as well, of course, as routes. But I know full well that, given that the base here in this forum prefers modern image diesels, this would be commercially untenable. Thanks to the enthusiast base and the miracles of ORTS (itself an "OpenTTD" sort of project), I can enjoy the PRR at its height, or the ATSF or even the Erie or the New Haven.

Dave Nelson pointed out that if you want a "game," buy one of the commercial sims. If, on the other hand, you want a "hobby," that is something you'd invest the same kind of effort you would do if you built, say, an HO scale layout, go with an open source movement. It will be here in the future when those commercial sims have long since moved onto other platforms, markets, etc. And open source, by definition, is freeware.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    In my opinion, ... If, on the other hand, you want a "hobby," that is something you'd invest the same kind of effort you would do if you built, say, an HO scale layout, go with an open source movement. It will be here in the future when those commercial sims have long since moved onto other platforms, markets, etc. And open source, by definition, is freeware.
    Dave
    Well said...may I add -
    implementing ORTS physics, for example, is not for the faint of heart
    may be seen as an opportunity to learn something new, a little mental exercise, research, experimentation, failures and finally after some work, enjoyable success. Certainly, not immediate gratification but ultimately a much more soul satisfying experience.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

My primary interest right now would be activity bundles...I can never quite make an activity that I make myself feel right...

I am willing to invest in payware and freeware addons, if the activity bundle will provide links to them and ensure that they are available. I find that activities for MSTS/OpenRails get super stale to me very quickly, a few play throughs and suddenly I'm just going through the motions. I make my own, but by the time I'm done with testing and ready to play it, it's already stale. Plus I always feel like I don't REALLY know what happens on that stretch of rails, I feel like I'm never quite bringing that feeling of immersion that I get from other's activities, it's different somehow. I enjoy getting a little backstory about what's going on on the route around me! Coal train going from here to there, grain coming from this place to that place, tank train going down to so-and-so, etc, all makes me feel immersed.

So I would gladly visit a payware website that you linked me to and buy a route and a rolling stock package or two, and pay you for an activity bundle, if it meant that I got a good set of quality activities. If you can create a comprehensive 3D enhancement package that will spruce up the default routes, I will gladly pay for that too.

It does seem funny though... to see people who actively make money from this "hobby" telling you to not to try. Based on what I have seen of your work so far... I say "shut up and take my money".

http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Honestly, I see doing OR physics as a cakewalk compared to MSTS. Just enter the correct data and don't worry about it. There's more data, but you don't have to really fudge it so much.