Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This hobby as a passive income?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick_Cantu View Post
    Honestly, I see doing OR physics as a cakewalk compared to MSTS. Just enter the correct data and don't worry about it. There's more data, but you don't have to really fudge it so much.
    Yeh, in that regard, the code handling the data is certainly much more reliable and well thought out.
    My trouble Erick, has been comparing sources of data, particularly for locomotive engines...Diesel Shop, old manuals, existing payware files, Wiki --- sometimes all the sources ( and others found ) simply give conflicting numbers....a real head scratcher.

Do you know of ( or anyone else ) of a really reliable, decent set of reference volumes for locomotives that contains accurate data for engines, tractive forces, weights, etc.?? Something outside of web references?
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

"Management of Train Operation and Train Handling," probably. But that only gets you up to the Dash-2 era, I think. I just picked up a copy for 12 bucks off Ebay, we'll see what it includes when it arrives.
    Last edited by Erick_Cantu; 05-16-2018 at 05:55 PM.

If you are a North American railfan and if you spend any time on a website known as Trainorders.com, an interesting notice went up today about the pending loss of their Sandpatch and Dunsmuir railcams, their upcoming site changes, potential price increases, and even ownership changes due to the loss of Net Neutrality here in the US.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussi...php?16,4554599

It does make one curious how this site is preparing for any changes coming on account of the bandwidth needed to operate the file library within the coming landscape. Already, this hobby is seeing some metered usage toll booths for certain products being erected (by google in this case)

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...I-May-Cost-You

The site owner mentions moving to a cloud-based design, with multiple copies of the content positioned around the globe (instead of being kept in one location on his fully-owned servers) to push the content closer to the end user. His content is mostly text, some JPEG and video, plus the cameras, which are casualties soon.

Given the file library here contains rather dated North American content, with new content mostly from India, and downloaded mostly by India, what is the future of this site for the average North American or Western European user? Is the outdated content from North America all that popular elsewhere in the world? Does it make sense to pay some cloud operator to warehouse the full catalog in 20 places given it's age? If people are not sharing as much new North American content here, they are likely sharing in smaller, low-traffic closed groups like at OTP or that Moose place or whatever it goes by. Just what will be the impact from the loss of net neutrality on large freeware communities like this? Is the toll-driven price increase going to be worth it to keep on keeping on? Or will it make sense to purge library material periodically by age, thus keeping things fresh?

Just what are the usage demographics of this site nowadays? C. Jakeman recently mentioned how Open Rails downloads from India are their number one user location, and total more than user locations 2, 3, 4 and 5 combined (North America and Western Europe in there somewhere). Are the days of India failing to buy First Class memberships to fund their bandwidth consumed here at this site coming to a close? Are the smaller percentage of North American or Western European users interested in India content going to "pay the freight" when the toll booth goes up? Or will India have to move their distribution to some Facebook or Google or Microsoft "box distribution" site because those internet players have more bargaining power than this little one does? Or will these servers be relocated to India outright with other minor volume (by comparison) users shopping around or sharing elsewhere? The status quo seems unlikely to continue for much longer.

Keep it in the back of your mind that the freeware community as we know it is facing some steep challenges, too. Some website operators are open and transparent with future plans, others remain tight lipped.

Seems that TrainOrders has jumped the shark, so to speak... Not only does their concern over Net Neutrality appear to be misplaced, but Todd managed to alienate more than a few customers with his post.

Many people are concerned about the end of net neutrality, and while Todd's actions may be premature, they are not without merit. As he pointed out, and perhaps as the moderator's disparaging remark may be showing, this tends to follow "party lines". If internet charges change from flat fees to cable TV-like fees (like they have in Portugal, where net neutrality was abandoned), and starts to follow the example of airline-service charges, i.e. the "new ways" to "monetize" the Internet that the FCC Chairman often crows about, then web sites like TrainOrders AND Trainsim.com should have concerns about what's to come.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    but Todd managed to alienate more than a few customers with his post.
    Yes, but in fairness he admitted that if one cannot handle the reality of which side of the political aisle is driving the unwanted changes, then he doesn't really need their business.

Refreshing. More business owners should do that.

When you reach a point where the work produced "by the sweat of a man's brow" can no longer adequately feed the machine that generates the welfare checks that fund "idle" gains from investment, then you either act like CSX and partially liquidate yourself to meet expectations, or you begin to look around for other benign things to turn into a money producer. Before the last crash, it was mortgage debt. I guess this time, it's the internet highway's turn. Anything to keep the circus going and feeding the idle gains machine needed for baby boomer retirements before the stock bubble pops.

My nephew recently got a summer job at a Lowe's home improvement store. My aging parents were quick to draw a comparison with their generation's experience, when a kid like my nephew could hire on at a local hometown hardware store, work hard, and eventually become the owner of the store years down the road when the previous owner retired. Yet the reason these small town hardware stores do not exist anymore, and opportunities for the nephew to ultimately buy the place are nil nowadays, is because of the need to steer commerce away from small town stores that are not listed on stock exchanges and drive the commerce to the mega-chains like Home Depot and Lowes and WalMart that are listed on the stock exchanges. Through tax policies and TIF subsidies, politicians have been steering commerce towards those businesses that feed proceeds into the idle gains machine, and away from small individual-owned businesses that are not listed on stock exchanges and thus do not feed the beneficiaries who looking for idle gains nourishment at the trough.

I can't believe those stupid idiots in Washington would really go for the loss of Net Neutrality. God I hate politicians. They only serve one purpose and that is to screw up anything and everything they can get the meddling hands on.

Robert