Thread: Error Saving Train database file ( error message in MSTS Consist Editor portion )

Default Error Saving Train database file ( error message in MSTS Consist Editor portion )

Having to resort to a backup computer, until I can get a new one, I already had MSTS installed / MSTSBin and all the proper upgrade files, etc. , etc..... Everything runs smoothly, except for one, annoying "detail "

Once in the Activity editor, everything worked as it should, and when creating a new Service, when time comes to "create new" ( service ), the "pull-down list" for available...consists, comes out as completely "blank".

I can launch the Consist editor section itself, and create a new consist, but I do get this "Error Saving Train database file". The "thumbnail" images for the various train components, do show up, which leads me to believe ( an 'assumption" ), that my computer can "read" the TRAINS folder, itself. But such "newly created" consist, cannot be saved ( at all ).

There is no other option, currently, than to cancel, and being completely unable to "save" the entire service ( and also, save, the newly created activity ) .

Trying to determine why my ( windows XP ) machine, cannot seem to "read" the CONSIST file. I do not discard the possibility that the consist files themselves, not being of the proper "format", although they are indeed in Unicode .

I also have this "hwrendererfix" utility, to "fix" registries entries such as the ( MSTS ) Route Editor / it worked once, for me, before, but this is so... "Do or Die"... ( for me ), i' d rather 'ask questions" / advice, before I proceed further down the road.

Any help would be super-appreciated, as I was "just-about" ready to do some beta-testing / installing interactives, on a Route I was expecting to release, this summer.

Thanks in advance !

Jean Brisson ( MSTS only ) Route Builder

Hi Jean,

Make sure all directories in your MSTS installation are set to read/write.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hi Jean,

Make sure all directories in your MSTS installation are set to read/write.

regards,
    Thanks, Vince, it's most likely very simplistic, along those lines. I will go through this, step-by-step, "threading lightly"...'-)

I did successfully manage to resolve this issue, as outlined originally. Thanks. again to Vince, who "pointed" me, in the proper "path" ( and literally..."path", as the issue revolved around "path" / "filenames" ).

I thought I should share how I resolved this issue, as this may potentially hlep others, eventually.

ONE : Vince had indicated I should make sure all the MSTS installation / directories, were set to "read/ write" .

Very first thing I did, was to go directly to the TRAINS folder. Guess what ? "Read only" ...

While I did proceed to change the properties setting, quote / unquote, "manually" ( right-click on the folder / select properties / make the necessary changes / "apply" ), my ( XP ) installation did not change all the way through , to the "sub-folders" ( inside ... this TRAINS folder ), therefore, I had to "drill" deeper, into the sub-folders, all the way to the "eng" / "wag" files, etc..., on a seriously 'downsized" TRAINS folder ), until I was satisfied all, was read / write.

"After the fact"..., and using Route Riter, I discovered I could point directly to the TRAINS folder itself, select it, just like selecting a "Route", and then , launch "make read/ write" function, while still on the first tab, in Route Riter.

This issue was not yet fixed. at this point, but was in the proper direction.

TWO : I decided to be bold, and confident, and launched an utility from the File Library with the filename "msts-editors-fix.zip", which "rejigs" registry errors, for the Tools & Editors portion, of the basic MSTS installation. It worked flawlessly for me, once, and therefore, leaving no stones, unturned, I launched it.

No changes, to the issue, and / or, the Editors functionalities.

THREE: I then went through a good dozen of two, of "sequences"/ "runs", with Route-Riter, concerning the activities / rolling stock , verifications and possible changes / repairs.

Eventually, one specific "error message" gave me more "clues" concerning the proper path....for fetching the consists files.

Long Story short ( and being a "quick" / "temporary" installation ), I simply had "mis-spelled the CONSISTS...,, folder, as merely "CONSIST" ( omitting the last letter "S" ).

All-in-all, as soon as I had the proper filename 'spelling"..., for the CONSISTS folder, I was "good to go" ( and what relief, to run an Activity, on this 'temporary" installation ).

As we can see, just one minor "spelling mistake"..., can bring MSTS , down to its knees. "Gotta watch for that !

Thanks again, You Guys, for all the support, over many-many years ( 12 years of MSTS, for me, now ... ) '-)

Jean Brisson ( MSTS-only ) Route Builder

Hi Jean,
    As we can see, just one minor "spelling mistake"..., can bring MSTS , down to its knees. "Gotta watch for that !

It's not only MSTS, but such a mistake could bring any program "down", if that's the word you wish to use! Computers are very pedantic creatures which expect exact data

Cheers,
    Ged