Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Bad...

Default Still Bad...

After finishing up a two month expedition among the stars in Elite Dangerous, thought I would see whether any core improvements have made it into TSW. There have, after all, been a number of updates from the developer.

So fired up GWE. First check was on trying to load a previous save, the game constantly CTD. Can only assume changes to the game mean the previous save no longer worked, hey ho. Picked a new service to take over at Reading - stopper to Paddington. After remembering how to set the cab up it all came flooding back...

No audible engine sound at all on the Class 166 DMU, even with the speakers turned up and the door from cab to saloon opened up. Once on the move the AWS "ding" sounded abrupt and artificial. Could only get one tone on the horn to sound (Ctrl-H did not play the second tone). Graphics performance still very jerky, bleached out surroundings and the passing trains have all received a triple coat of high gleam wax.

Think I got as far as Slough before giving up...

In contrast fired up DTG's own predecessor product and resumed a previously saved run with Class 801 IET on the ECML. Had to lunge for the speaker volume control with full on traction and track sound blasting out. Appearance of the graphics and railway ambience (IMHO) far more realistic and immersive than TSW. TS20xx may have its share of warts but it is a shocking indictment of DTG's development and programming ability when the heritage product out performs the brave new world.

Oh and as a complete aside, I note the ECML Class 801's as depicted in TS have the same "firm" seating as the ones now appearing on GW!
    Vern.

The sound in TSW is still poor across all the modules despite the rather ephemeral statement of
    • Improved general performance of the route
    seen at least three times in the Spring Patch Notes on 'Engine Driver'. I find I actually get better quality sound if I've stuffed my headphones on-- and no, haven't turned the volume up. I'm wondering if somewhere in the sound files which affect speaker v. headphone they haven't messed up by bassackwards coding-- most sims give the player the choice in sound set up to tune sound to their sound system set up and unless I'm blind I don't think we had that option here? Sound and Tools, along with retroactive corrections to all the diesel electrics should have been priority by this stage methinks.
    Avidly simming on the rails:
    Currently using TSW and Run 8

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    thought I would see whether any core improvements have made it into TSW. There have, after all, been a number of updates from the developer.

it is a shocking indictment of DTG's development and programming ability when the heritage product out performs the brave new world
    Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, "Update" meant things were improved/fixed.... That does not seem the case in this day and age.....

And yes, very sad the older platform is far better than their new baby. I'd used the saying "if it's not broke......." but we all know the older platform has its problems as well.

This has improved the quality of sound immensely. For anybody who actually cares for TSW........... Try this.

There is a temporary fix for the quiet sound. You can edit an .ini file to increase it.

Navigate to the folder
    <mydocuments>\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
    and open the file
    GameUserSettings.ini

I have my settings as follows:

MasterSoundVolume=3.500000
    MusicSoundVolume=1.500000
    SFXSoundVolume=3.500000
    AmbienceSoundVolume=2.500000
    DialogueSoundVolume=1.500000
    ExternalAlertVolume=1.500000
    MenuSFXVolume=1.000000

You can play around with these to find something that suits you.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

I may give that a try, thanks.

Though you have to wonder why DTG haven't implemented it already - too proud to admit their customers can do a better job ?
    Vern.

Update:

Well on GWE with a Class 166 it made the track sound a bit more audible but still no engine noise. Okay it's probably quieter in the cab than the saloon where the underfloor engines are mounted, but in reality these trains are quite noisy inside and it is not going to be dead silent in the cab.

Also on departing Langley, the game paused and flickered then a HST spawned about 20 yards ahead on the Down Main line where it hadn't been a second ago doing 125 MPH. Suspension of disbelief - I don't think so!
    Vern.

Strange phenomenon like that are regular occurrences in Langley, Vern.

I know i lived there for long enough.

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Glad you gave it a try. I suspect that DTG has to deal with countless different computers starting with powerless 8 year old contraptions to the latest mega monsters right off the shelves. There is just so many items wrong with this that if they listened to users input and advice (and there are many qualified people), we might have a half decent train sim here.
    Time will tell.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Until they improve more than the graphics and sound TSW will always be a game not a sim, not even a half decent one.

I can understand where your complaints come from but it's apparent that a lot of your personal interpretation is more applicable to your own pc and settings experience.
    The Train Sim World simulation / games I've used, (all content except the German based rapid transit system), are very reasonable representations and I live in hope that certain corrections and improvements will appear eventually.
    Try studying all settings for controls and you'll resolve your second tone horn issue.
    I'm a real world locomotive engineman with experience of fast passenger interstate express trains, fast and slow goods hauled by diesel electric and electric motive power in Victoria, Australia. My history includes a 2 year term on iron ore trains in the Pilbara region of north western Australia.

If you don't get too offended and can accept constructive criticism then I'll suggest that if you want such a high level of realism then go to a rail service near you and buy a ticket and go for a ride.
    But don't punish the developers who have a huge task trying to satisfy customers fantasies and demands. You may get your wish and they'll just stop producing altogether.

From a fair dinkum Aussie to a brother train enthusiast whinging pom.
    Kind regards,

TSW will improve but it is what it is.