Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update error on S (shape) file

Default update error on S (shape) file

Hello guys:

I have something strange going on with a few files. When I extract the locomotive files from the zip file they are downloaded in, I hav e a problem with the shape (S) file. It comes out fully expanded in Wordpad text instead of compressed Unicode.

I do what I want with the file to re-designate images it requires, then I try to compress the finished file with Shape File Manager, and I get this strange error:
    ":Compress failed to complete ----file not updated (Object Error)"

This only happens with SHAPE files that come out of the zip folder uncompressed. Other engines where I do this and the file starts compressed, SFM works fine and no errors.

How do I get rid of this from happening....what is it I am supposed to "update" anyway???? and why are some files coming out of the ZIP already expanded???

Thanks for the advice.
    Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bootednancy; 05-16-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Hi Doug,
    It might help if you could let us know which zip file these troublesome .s files are in

You don't have to update anything - all SFM is telling you is that it can't compress the file you specified, so it is "not updated", ie it's in the same state as it was before your request!

The most likely reason the files are coming out of the .zip already expanded is because the author didn't compress them!

Cheers.
    Ged

3. Default

Check the file properties if it is read-only it will not compress.
    Toronto Mainline Trains
    www.torontomainlinetrains.ca
    www.mapleleaftracks.com A Division Of Toronto Mainline Trains
    Subscribe Youtube
    Like Us On Facebook
    Follow Us On Twitter

To "Toronto Mainline", thanks for that idea, but I am way past that. The files are not checked Read-Only on the properties, so that's not it.

Ged, good to hear from you, I have attached the zip file. It is from the T-S file library...three pack of Milwaukee SD40-2 engines based on the default(y) BNSF MicroSoft SD40-2.

When I take the files out of the zip, they're in the size of 6200 kb..but they show as 438 kb in the zip file.

The zip file is: mrsd402r.zip, and it is all 3 shape files that get the problem. milw183.s, etc.
    The Attachment manager connected to the forum will NOT let me attach the above files since they are not in the form of a BMP, GIF or JPG

Thanks,
    Doug

Barging in here, I just downloaded and took a look at all three files, they are the original SD40-2 files with the error that is the subject of this page at Steam4ME...http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/fix_sd402.html

It's quite easy to open the files in Context - use VIEW - Go To Line 81242, correct error, save file, then use zipper or Shape File Manager to compress the file.

After fixing the error I was able to compress the file, no problems. With the error unfixed the files will not open in Archibald, and do not show up properly in ShapeViewer.

After fixing the errors Shape File Manager has no problems compressing the file, nor should any other of the utility programs, like zipper, or Route Riter.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-17-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gents
    Thanks, Gerry, for barging in

If you, Doug, are able to run SFM, there's no need to run ConText, or any other editor, because, by default WordPad is used and selecting 'WordPad Edit .s' from the menu enables the use of Find to locate )\ immediately. Remove the \, save the file, then, as Gerry mentioned, SFM compresses the file without any problem.

Cheers,
    Ged

Well...an extreme thank you to both Gerry and Ged............

I never thought there was an error in the SD40-2 S file, or even to know where to look...I did read the tutorial, and even after all these years, never knew such a one was right there.

I found the error...which NOW explains why that S file, even when installed right from the CD comes out expanded and not compressed, which I tried with a new Train Sim install last night.

Have found the error in the S file, eliminated, and now SFM works great with doing what I wanted all along. Purpose of the whole exercise was to put the 6 Milwaukee SD-40's in the same folder without each one overwriting.

While there are plenty of other SD40-2's in the Library drawn on the default one, I guess I never ran into them until now or paid attention to it.

Thanks a lot for the help to go in the right direction...........just proves with computers they will puke all over the place and refuse to work if one little thing is not correct.

NOW, if I can solve the problem of trying to get a missing route part for a Hungarian route that won't download and goes to an Error 404 message..........

Doug

That's the smaller of the two errors with the default SD40-2; the larger one being the overall shape!

HA! made me LOL! (and get some odd stares)
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Yep, Erick, that was funny. I just stopped wondering why people keep going after the old stuff...although if it represents a one-of-a-kind model I can understand it. But that's not enough bait on the hook for me to take a bite.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.