Thread: msts not loading

Default msts not loading

Hi folks. I have two computers with windows 10 on them. They came with windows7 on them, then Microsoft installed windows10 and msts ran with no problems. Then a couple of months ago Microsoft installed a new up date and that's when it stopped loading. I click on the icon and nothing happens. Everything runs as administrator. Reinstalled msts clicked on the icon it went into profile and quit.This is beyond me so any help to get things going again would be greatly appreciated.Greg

Hi Greg,
    Where (the path) did you direct the installer to load your MSTS?

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thanks for the reply. The path is from the install discs with custom C:\msts which has always worked ever since 7 came out. Greg

MSTS is not listed as officially compatible with newer windows versions. It has worked on most Win 10 modern hardware setups by blind luck, but there no longer are any continuing assurances. The people who promote MSTS as usable on Win 10 are often over-selling, because they could never account for random bugs given any person's choice of third party hardware addons. You are mostly on your own and at the mercy of Microsoft Updates to not disable or reset features or otherwise throw a monkey wrench into a configuration that works in the moment.

MSTS has been listed as not compatible with all versions of Windows since Vista. It has worked in all NT-based versions since 2000 if you're willing to hack enough. However, Windows 10 has made it harder with each "feature update" to keep it working. It's nearly impossible to get it to work now if you install from the CDs; if you have a full backup from some time ago you can copy that into your C:\msts directory and it will probably work after a fashion, but anything dependent on the registry (like editors and tools) won't. Remember, when you install it outside Program Files, that you will need to build your own shortcut to the train.exe (don't use launcher.exe) file. Somebody (can't remember who) had a .reg file with the MSTS registry keys that you could use to recover an install, but you'll be fighting with it every time MS does another semiannual Windows 10 update.

It all seems too much like work.

Back around the Anniversary Update, I gave up trying to keep MSTS working right and moved full-time to Open Rails. OR is very compatible with MSTS content. And it's the right price. You have to install MSTS anyway for the content - the default routes and trains - because so many of the freeware routes depend on having them available during installation. You can do that without actually using MSTS, but do make sure you do the MS updates which can be found at Steam4Me (no longer at Microsoft) because they add/fix some content. No need to install Bin if you're not going to be running MSTS; in fact, once it's installed and Open Rails has been told where it is (you can do that manually in OR if it doesn't pick it up automatically), you can delete all but the global, routes, and trainset directories from C:\msts. My preference is to have a C:\trainsims directory overall, that houses MSTS content in C:\trainsims\msts and OR in C:\trainsims\openrails. Route-Riter and other tools also go in that directory. Keeps stuff together in a place you will remember, and makes it easy to back up.

Edit: if you really truly want to keep using MSTS itself, I'd advise setting up a Linux machine with WINE and running MSTS there. Allegedly, in recent WINE releases, MSTS runs quite well. I haven't done it or tried it, just heard about it, and MSTS is listed in WINE's compatibility database.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 05-28-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Linux comment

Or like I always do... I have a Win 10 machine just for general web stuff and e mails... even watching this forum.. I have another workstation computer strictly for Win 7 and MSTS with NO internet connection.. NO AV, NO malware protectors, NO web, no nothing... just a standalone MSTS machine. I use my memory stick to transfer files, format my memory stick and virus scanned, and making sure nothing goes into my MSTS machine. I have been doing this since 7 came out and nary of an issue back then. I am currently running MSTS with Win 7 on a solid state drive (500GB) and it still purrs. Its best for the long run..

EDIT: I am also using Open Rails with MSTS as well with over 40 miniroutes.. Runs just as fast... Still satisfied with it...
    Dave Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    but anything dependent on the registry (like editors and tools) won't.
    That isn't correct. I have MSTS running on two very different, hardware-wise, machines running Windows 10 (complete with the Fall Creators update but not the April one yet) and all of the editors and tools run okay. The only tweaking I've had to do is for the AMD graphics card in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post
    That isn't correct. I have MSTS running on two very different, hardware-wise, machines running Windows 10 (complete with the Fall Creators update but not the April one yet) and all of the editors and tools run okay. The only tweaking I've had to do is for the AMD graphics card in one of them.
    MSTS's Editors and Tools are the most troublesome in every machine. Use Goku's newest Tools and Editors program.. works like a charm, way less crashes..
    Dave Edwards