Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TS 2018/ North Wales Coastal Route

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    And I think that to create a Railway type Sim of the whole world would be a gargantuan task, today's flight sims offer the whole world from thousands of feet up, you can't do that on a railway you're on the ground, do ya think we want all those fuzzy ground textures in the base game, I don't? And what about all the trees, houses, factories, roads and buildings for the whole country who is going to put those in and would our computers be able to run the game smoothly, too many obstacles in the way, me thinks, but, a nice dream, nonetheless.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Can you imagine the size of the world's railway network modelled in one go. When I was at Thurso, the northernmost station in Scotland, a few years ago the immensity of the world's railways came to my mind when I realised that the rails at the buffer stops in the station there were actually physically connected, rail by rail, fishplate by fishplate, bolt by bolt, with a bit of mixed gauge track here and there, to the rails in the station in Saigon in Vietnam not to mention every branch line, yard and siding in between from Portugal to Vladivostock and Iran to Norway. There's enough trackage there that all the developers put together wouldn't live long enough to finish it and that doesn't include North America or anywhere else. Even Run8's Southwestern region for all its size only covers a small fraction of the U.S. railroad network.

So yes, a bit of a dream probably, but even a small route with decent AI trains and dispatching and without the restriction of having to stick to the never changing prewritten scenarios that DTG seem to prefer would be great. I would have been quite content with TSW CSX Heavy Haul if you could have gotten out of Cumberland Yard in free roam and had AI trains run by an AI dispatcher for you to interact with.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    Can you imagine the size of the world's railway network modelled in one go. When I was at Thurso, the northernmost station in Scotland, a few years ago the immensity of the world's railways came to my mind when I realised that the rails at the buffer stops in the station there were actually physically connected, rail by rail, fishplate by fishplate, bolt by bolt, with a bit of mixed gauge track here and there, to the rails in the station in Saigon in Vietnam not to mention every branch line, yard and siding in between from Portugal to Vladivostock and Iran to Norway. There's enough trackage there that all the developers put together wouldn't live long enough to finish it and that doesn't include North America or anywhere else. Even Run8's Southwestern region for all its size only covers a small fraction of the U.S. railroad network.
    Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. FSX already has all of the world's railways in it, automatically generated from the same data that was used to create the terrain. Roads, too. I once followed surface roads from MSP to the street my house is on. The curves aren't terribly smooth, and the textured splines that constitute the rails are low resolution, but, again, I guarantee the MSTS2 team had already addressed those issues when it was canned.

This is all stock FSX autogen scenery. This is just outside of St Paul Downtown Airport. The highway is US 52, the diamond intersection is with MN 4, and the UP's rails are exactly where they should be. You can compare on Google maps if you'd like.

The roads and rails are already there, just need a bumping of resolution and auto-generated bridges, which FSX already does when a road crosses water. You'd also need ground textures optimized for ground-level, and, ostensibly, more frequent tiling of the textures to bring the overall resolution up. But none of that is impossible, it's just a re-optimization of what is already there for ground-level running. You can see that the scenery in P3D at low-level has been greatly improved over FSX. And you can balance the performance hit of higher resolution ground features by not concerning the sim with the physics of airborne objects, which is actually a huge part of the load that flight simulators place on your computer. The people who make rail sims have you convinced that technical limitations are preventing a better simulator. They're lying. If MSTS2 hadn't been canceled, there would be nobody questioning this.

This tech demo shows precisely how the worldwide rail network was created - and you can see it's all there:

By the way, I added the videos in my previous post wrong. Here they are, in their respective order:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erick_Cantu; 06-14-2018 at 02:35 AM.

I don't know how can some people say modelling rail lines in the grand world scale is tough! Surprise! when a game company is competent and knows how to automate it isn't. Did you really think that all those generic buildings, trees, roads populating flight sim scenery were hand placed by the devs?

Ground textures are also not a problem. No current train sim other than TSW feature ground textures more clearer than flight sims. Just because it's a flight sim doesn't mean one has to fly high and above. Perform a low level flight sticking as close to the ground as possible and you'll see those textures aren't any more blurry than train sims.

Also, there's no need to have detailed world scenery out of the box all over the world. If the infrastructure is there and SDK is accessible others would eventually make worse areas better. Keep in mind, with a plane you can go anywhere but trains don't leave the rails so a train sim with whole world scenery wouldn't need to pay much attention to parts of the world where rail lines don't exist at time of game release.

Sadly no amount of speculation and wishing it were so is going to make it so.

After all, we have yet to see a global shipping sim (where 95% of the time will be spent in open water) or a global trucking/bus sim. As noted, even the highly praised ETS2 and ATS cover a fraction of the area and scaled down by a factor of about 10.

Fact is, there are no new "big" commercial train sim developers lurking - N3V are content with their business model, selling a tarted up version of their base program every three years. We know what DTG's policy is whether TS20xx or TSW, short(ish) focused routes that appeal to a particular audience. The days of people building large routes for MSTS/OR is pretty much over and I would consider it extremely unlikely OR could be developed into something which offers the bones of all the world railways by default.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick_Cantu View Post
    This tech demo shows precisely how the worldwide rail network was created - and you can see it's all there:

Does it? It looks like a map of the world with railways marked on it that quickly zooms in to some unidentifiable place so you can't tell if it's accurate or not then shows some not very realistically rendered yard trackage that looks like poorly laid track on a model railway without scenery. And the video is how old, 11 years, and we still don't have anything like it proposes.

I think I'll just keep dreaming while I get lost for hours running trains and dispatching in Run8.