Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My All-Purpose Development Screenshot Spam Thread

Default My All-Purpose Development Screenshot Spam Thread

Rather than continuing to take up space in the "any et c." thread, I thought that I might start my own thread for when I feel like posting WIP shots.

Currently on the table, of course, are the Soo Line GP7 locomotives, but I have decided that they should have at least a small number of matching cars. Here is the first one:

Note that this model is only correct for the first few orders, #1-45.

I have decided that I should build at least one freight car. I do want to get the first pack - consisting of 375, 376, 377, and 378 - out fairly soon, so I don't want to spend too much time building cars at the moment, but I was thinking that a gondola might be simple enough. Perhaps the ubiquitous white-and-red 50' Soo Line boxcar might also be a good choice.

Pack #2 will include 381, 382, and 383, but I think that a fourth unit should be included. Unfortunately, Soo Line only had 7 GP7s. I was throwing around these ideas:

-I could make a GP9 fairly quickly, and Soo had many of those
    -Soo only had a single SD9, that might be fun
    -I have an incomplete F7 that could be reworked

What do you guys think?

The models (which include 3D cabs) will be payware, but the sounds will be public domain, as I feel that OR needs new sounds that everyone can use. I am also planning on making truck and detail parts available to the community, as I have in the past, as sort of a freight car kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As ever, they look pretty good, even in that drab, untextured, grey. A freight car or two would spice things up a bit. Whatever you make, I suspect there will be sizeable interest in it.

I must ask, what will your repaint policy be. I myself could use an SD9 or two, and older geeps have in general been overlooked to some extent. Fs wouldn't be too bad, either, though Marc's is pretty good

My repaint policy is completely open. I feel that repaints add value to a product, and I intend to supply layered paint kits.

One of my goals is to find a way to automate the process of combining models so that I can create kits. Let's say I supply you with a basic GP7 model - no horns, no fans, just a basic body, trucks, and frame. I then supply one or two "mods" - a second model containing details. The program, if I could find someone to write it, would read a configuration file, which would specify which mod to use, what final texture filenames to write into the model, and then combine the mod into a copy of both the internal and external models (because I will only be doing 3D cabs, and details will often need to be visible from the cab). Then the user would have a ready-to-run locomotive, and mod kits can freely be distributed without the need for the user to do any real editing. This would work great for me because I generally base my models off of very specific pieces of equipment at very specific times (for example, the Soo GP7s are all circa 1980), but users want something to paint, and those unit-specific details can be a problem. This way, I can sell you the kit, and you can create endless mods for whatever units you wish to create.

Since you mentioned SOO and F7, any chance of doing the 2228A?

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/387968/

I'll consider it. I am building my models as they would have appeared around 1980, which is when that locomotive was traded for a GP38-2.

The most likely course at the moment is to change the louver configuration and other details to create a GP9, since it'd require the least work. I do want to get to some F7s and the SD9 though. I also have this weird urge to build some of the geep-hooded CNW Baldwin rebuilds, but I have no idea what the cabs would have looked like.

Beautiful.

That's a great looking model, Erick.

I'm thinking the fourth unit of the second pack might be 2403, which would also serve as a good base if I ever decided to revisit another early EMD I never truly did justice to...

I gathered enough data on the caboose - about 200 photos of #27 - to do a much higher resolution version of it at some point. This model is built to match the resolution of the GP7 models. I've decided to build models in two resolutions to satisfy different urges, basically. I enjoy building super-high-resolution models - the back-burner SD40-2s being an example - but I also like building simple models that can be made much more quickly. I've decided to spend most of my time working at the lower resolution, so I can attack the backlog of things I've wanted to make relatively quickly, with a smattering of high-resolution models here and there (some of which may or may not make it into TS). Don't get me wrong, it's fun to build all these 3D details:

But it can drive you crazy after a while. Boy, does that model ever need better trucks, though. I'm also planning on making more details 3D, since models in the 70-80k triangle range are starting to become the norm, and this 38k model is way under that budget - I was thinking 3D hinges and latches, maybe 3D chains. This is definitely a long-term project, I've had a goal of building representative models of CP's entire SD40-2 fleet for a while. This model represents the DRF-30G c. 2001. Four units from each class, maybe? They had a lot of orders. I am half tempted to think of these in "kit" terms so that users can create mods for specific units within a class during a specific time. Sort of like building a basic set of models and crowdsourcing an entire fleet. That would be cool.

I have a full set of GP7/9 underframe details (motor cables and so on) from the old Relco GP10 model. I was thinking I might try to throw them on the GP7s, but I'm not sure. That'd add to the triangle count fairly significantly. I might try to render a facsimile with a transparent texture if I can find space on the (already cramped) texture sheet.

Does anyone have any AS-16, 416, or 616 cab photos? I kind of want to attack the CNW AS-16m rebuilds at some point. Actually, does anyone know what cab equipment these might have had? They were rebuilt by EMD, and I wonder if the control stands might have been swapped with the hood.

I also have some complete-ish but unreleased models that I may release for posterity's sake. One of the original CP SD40-2 sets was intended to be freeware, but never made it onto the internet. I'm missing the textures, but could probably adapt the texture sheets from the other units to fit. I might throw them in the library, perhaps the Relco GP10 as well, since I'd want to redo it from scratch if I ever wanted to do it justice by my current standards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erick_Cantu; 06-11-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Beautiful work Eric, these will be a wonderful addition to the community. I was wondering if you had any plans to maybe make some GE U boats like the U 30 or the U 33? We seem to have a huge gap in these locomotives. Also my other question is would you be willing to make a actual SD40 SD38 and a SD35? These units are basically non existent. Many railroads had these units and many are still in service on short or regional lines.

Thank you for answering
    Michelle

I did actually make a straight SD40 at one point, but, as is my wont, they were CP units and thus totally unsuited to US roads. I've wanted to build some of those, though. I totally agree on the need for more pre-dash2 EMD power. The question would be what resolution do I want to build those models? I want to continue to flesh out the Soo Line OR fleet, but I kind of want to make those models a consistent resolution so they look good together, but then I have this super-high-detail SD40-2 in the works. Soo had some really unique SD40s (and at least one SD39) that I'd love to make. I feel like most OR users are fine with medium-resolution models and don't care much about viewing them from six inches away. I also don't want to burn myself out, or have too many things going on at once, and this is why the medium-resolution models will probably dominate my future.