Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My All-Purpose Development Screenshot Spam Thread

Planning the brake rigging, after spending some time putting the brackets in.

I set a budget of 14,000 triangles. Hovering around 9500 right now. I figure a caboose can use about as many as a locomotive, since you don't generally have more than one or two per train. If a lot of the shading looks funky, it's because I smooth a lot of edges to conserve vertices in areas that are somewhat hidden, or where the textures will be dark, and the difference won't really be visible. It's all part of the process of optimizing a model for its intended use.

For the cars, I'm leaning towards the 3898 cu ft PS boxcars delivered in the late 50s, as well as a quick refit of the BN 613000 series 53' 6" flats I have on-hand, with new numbers, of course. That would open the door to custom loads, if people want to build them. Those flats could also be repainted into a variety of roads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did some needle-threading with the handbrake rods today. Thank goodness for look-at constraints.

The underframe is basically done at this point, it only really needs J-hooks for the handbrake rods, anchors for the dead levers, and chains for the handbrake, which I'll probably do later once some basic mapping is done. I think I'll tackle the generator drive next, then start mapping so I can get an idea where I can fit detail parts in the map. Thankfully, I have yet to find a photo of a GSC 56'-6" flat where any of the brake parts were visible, even at reasonable angles below, so that model will be loads easier when I get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    Beautiful work Eric, these will be a wonderful addition to the community. I was wondering if you had any plans to maybe make some GE U boats like the U 30 or the U 33? We seem to have a huge gap in these locomotives. Michelle
    Yes that get's my vote ....although there are more useful missing U boats to start with? The U18B and P30CH are missing or very old as is the model of the U50's

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    Also my other question is would you be willing to make a actual SD40 SD38 and a SD35? These units are basically non existent. Many railroads had these units and many are still in service on short or regional lines. Michelle
    Hmm well not exactly? BLW has covered many roads SD18-24-26 and SD35's. Also the long overdue GP20's that come from that era where there has been a real lack of models, namely the end of the 1st generation and beginning of the 2nd generation diesels.

It was one of the most interesting periods in US loco building because many of the old steam loco builders tried their hand at diesels before EMD and GE all but dominated the orders.

Baldwin, Fairbanks Morse, Lima Hamilton haven't been covered apart from some models that are now way simpler than what the MSTS/OR current sims (and hardware) can handle.

There seems to be little correlation between some of the loco's and stock produced and the latest "state of the art" routes that are produced. Indeed there are many excellent models for roads where NO decent routes exist .

Obviously this is a hobby and folk produce what takes their interest but just to take two routes (one released and the other a WIP) Conn River and the B&O West End, both are set in the era mentioned above and both would be a fitting setting for a new "C-Liner" and "Sharknose".

In any case Erick I think the idea of base models with "road/era" specific "bolt ons" is brilliant. Now that OR can handle more than one FA it's a great idea
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Beautiful work, Erick...very fine. Thanks.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Agreed! Fantastic model, even without paint!
    Paul

N-scaler turned V-scaler

I did some fairly extensive work today, mostly in the name of building high-detail parts that can be used both to render textures and on models that are designed to be viewed from closer distances. The major things were the brake wheel and a new set of wheels using more accurate dimensional data.

Those parts were used to render some textures for lower-resolution parts that are more appropriate for this particular model.

This time, the BN flats will have the correct S-2 trucks. I think I'll make those next.

Those look pretty snazzy...I could find a use or two for those.

Say, that car in front of the caboose looks awfully familiar...

Carrying the topic of Boxcars over from Michelle's thread on SOO Line box cars....

The proposals in your thread here suggest a much needed update to me.

Basically we're all reskinning 50' and 40' boxcars uploaded to the library 10 years ago now. There have been some brilliant models of earlier boxcars uploaded here and at Elvas tower but when it comes to steel box cars, both earlier 40' models and later 50' models there were of course dozens of individual manufacturers, most with many different variations in roof's, doors, underframe (shock absorbing models), skirts end panels, gutters etc.etc.

There are also thousands of brilliant useable (for freeware) photographs that enable pretty good photo skins.

However many of the better pictures are of models (or variations thereof ....like removed roof walks etc.) that are different to the models currently used or available.

I know that many on here have modified existing models and indeed I'm indebted to them for sharing their knowledge of boxcars with me. However the idea of making basic models with FA variations seems exactly what could form the basis of some new "state of the art" boxcars?

Of course their heyday (the steel ones) was the steam/transition/1st/2nd Generation diesel era. Whilst more modern box cars still roll much of their work has been taken over by various forms of intermodal traffic? There are many more models of modern stack cars than there are boxcars? Even TOFC are well represented apart from their earliest incarnations and the trailers that they carried come to that?

From a modellers point of view I guess that whilst the shape's are reasonably simple precise detailed scale drawings are less easily obtained? Photo's for skins we're doing well for but without better models these end up as compromises.

What do you think Erick?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I think that I've been thinking about similar things. One of the things that I want to do, especially since I am making a 40' boxcar for this set anyway, is to build freeware replacement models for the Goss 40' and 50' boxcars because they were designed to be flexible and could work quite well today with a little TLC. Those aren't terribly well suited to any particular make of boxcar, but are close enough for a wide variety of roads. That would greatly expand the stock compatible with these models. Not that most stock won't look passably good with these, in fact the Goss boxcars were built to such finicky standards that they actually work great, but things like air hoses won't line up when combined with stock from other makers. That's pretty much what I mean when I say "compatibility," coupler and air hose height.

As far as building customizable boxcars... it's a sound idea. I've been thinking about it. I generally build specific models of specific classes, but I know that there are several types that are more or less universal. I could build basic models that could accept different rib and door configurations from secondary shapes. Good drawings can be hard to come by, but a decent estimate can be made from the dimensional data stenciled on the car. The bigger problem is filtering out signal from the noise. Most of the noise is from model railroad manufacturers. Photos of models do me no good whatsoever, because they absolutely cannot be trusted. I'd also need to know what specific makes and models exist and what people want. For example, if I do a google search for Evans boxcars, I get a bazillion hits for Atlas' 53' double plug door boxcar. But you can't trust Atlas, or anyone else who makes model railroad products. They'll slap a specific livery on anything remotely close and call it a day. What railroads actually used these cars? Were most of them fairly close to identical? Those are the real problems. AAR's classification system makes things worse. Yeah, I can build an XM - but what XM? What capacity? What dimensions? There are a million discrete boxcar types classified as "XM." The problem is that this is how photos of cars are sorted at Railroad Picture Archives, which is my primary reference. So finding photos of the right cars is a nightmare, especially because I would need, at bare minimum, a side-on photo from a good distance to minimize perspective distortion, and a close-up photo of the data stencils to get the basic dimensions right. This is why I generally pick specific classes from specific railroads. Building boxcar models is easy -especially if you have a pool of generic parts to work from.

Anyway, I've got all of the exterior details done, I just need to map it, build a simple interior, and then do the actual paint work:

Anyone know what I can possibly do to get the generator drive pulleys to run at the right speeds? There's about a 3:1 ratio between each pair, so the pulley on the generator should be running at about 9 times the speed of the wheels. I figured I could tag them as wheels, and keyframe them to spin at the correct ratios to the car's wheels, but that doesn't work, they just rotate at the same speed, no matter what I do. I also tried tagging them as rods, but that causes them to rotate extremely slowly and backwards. I tried linking a pulley to a dummy that was also tagged as a wheel - which should hypothetically double the rotation speed - but that didn't accomplish anything, either.

Erick,

Can you set varying animation keyframes on things like wheels? I've never made anything of the sort, so I really dont't know. If you can, it might be worth a shot to see if you can get higher speeds out of the pulleys. If it doesn't work, who's going to notice that it isn't going nine times the speed of the wheel?