Thread: My Consist Changes & Setting a Switch

Default My Consist Changes & Setting a Switch

I have been learning a lot since I purchased Run 8 V2 a couple of weeks ago. Two things that has me puzzled I could use help with is:

(1) I have also purchased some addons, wells, piggybacks, center beams and auto racks. When I build a train and place it, go to run it, I don't always see the exact thing I built. Some of the cars were replaced by the Run 8 auto boxcars. What caused that to happen? I tried to edit the consist by deleting them but I must have done something wrong because they were still there when I went to run that train.

(2) One of the things I feared and just did want to bother with was the dispatch board. I didn't think I could master using it. I have come a long way. I have successfully set green clear signals but cannot figure out how to set the switch to send a train into the siding or (the hole). I still see a red restricted as I approach. How can I set the switch to allow my train to take the siding in single play on the dispatch board? I will also need to do it to get back onto the mainline.

Thanks
    Derick

Quote Originally Posted by derickavery View Post
    (2) ..... How can I set the switch to allow my train to take the siding in single play on the dispatch board? I will also need to do it to get back onto the mainline....
    Derick, I can't help with the first question but think I can with this one:
    In the despatcher screen, left-click on the switch symbol (N) or (R) and it should change to the path you require.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Thanks. I will give it a try and tinker around with it in my next run.

I have been learning a lot since I purchased Run 8 V2 a couple of weeks ago. Two things that has me puzzled I could use help with is:

(1) I have also purchased some addons, wells, piggybacks, center beams and auto racks. When I build a train and place it, go to run it, I don't always see the exact thing I built. Some of the cars were replaced by the Run 8 auto boxcars. What caused that to happen? I tried to edit the consist by deleting them but I must have done something wrong because they were still there when I went to run that train.

(2) One of the things I feared and just did want to bother with was the dispatch board. I didn't think I could master using it. I have come a long way. I have successfully set green clear signals but cannot figure out how to set the switch to send a train into the siding or (the hole). I still see a red restricted as I approach. How can I set the switch to allow my train to take the siding in single play on the dispatch board? I will also need to do it to get back onto the mainline.

Thanks
    Derick
    The TMU (Train Maker Upper) shows all cars/locomotives released by Run8. Those you don't have are grayed out. Rolling stock that you don't own are portrayed as a generic "Run8" boxcar as a placeholder.

If it is a power switch, just click on the switch on the dispatcher's diagram. You will see the letter changing to indicate the change in the switch. The signal would also change appropriately. Can't help anymore without knowing exactly which siding, which end, how the dispatcher's panel is set, and the signal aspect.

I will pay attention to that the next time I go to build a train. Thanks for your help.

Well after a couple of days, I finally had a chance to go and try the suggestions to the two things that were puzzling me. They were spot on. They fixed my problems with both setting a switch to go into a siding and making sure the train I built is the exact train I place on the track without any insertion of Run8 stuff.

Thanks
    Derick

Well after a couple of days, I finally had a chance to go and try the suggestions to the two things that were puzzling me. They were spot on.
    Nice to read that you are now okay with those items, Derick.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

For me, I find it easier to simply take control of an AI built train and with using the Ctrl-F1 pull up the Train Builder and "Copy Train". If there are Run8 cars (greyed out), I remove them completely or replace with stock I have and then "Place Train". It may seem like more work than it is, but I like doing it this way not have to contend with building from scratch and I still get the same result. I can also take that train in it's original format when I did the Copy Train just to get it into memory and return the train I copied but didn't lay down, give back to AI control. Then I can go to a location where I want to start and place it there with modifications.