Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scenes from JR's Monongahela & Western Pennsylvania Route...1920x1080 Resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Now that is spectacular! Puts ole MSTS to shame. I wonder if that quality could be realized in ORTS?

Robert
    Thanks Robert .

About ORTS, I seriously doubt it. The OR team is doing a great job with the program, but IMO, we need more high quality content, and not only locomotives and rolling stock.
    Something like Jointed Rail for MSTS/OR, but with all the software piracy going on everywhere, it's not going to happen.

Best regards Claus

Quote Originally Posted by paulytechnic View Post
    That looks absolutely stunning! Of course, you can make ANY brand of simulator look great, Claus! :-)
    Thank You my friend .

Best regards Claus

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher1962 View Post
    Thanks Robert .

About ORTS, I seriously doubt it. The OR team is doing a great job with the program, but IMO, we need more high quality content, and not only locomotives and rolling stock.
    Something like Jointed Rail for MSTS/OR, but with all the software piracy going on everywhere, it's not going to happen.

Best regards Claus

I don't blame piracy anymore. There was a time, yes, but not anymore. Rather I blame this need to constantly toy with 100% MSTS compatibility and keeping this file library and its existing content relevant for as long as possible as the biggest underwater anchors slowing OR progress. Lets face it, none of what is portrayed in these screens could ever be MSTS compatible.

I know you buy alot from DW (as do I, to a lesser extent), but while DW is being hypsersensitve to every morsel of piracy, they are losing the overall "space race" by choosing to still sell 512 photoskin textures in a 2048 world.

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Now that is spectacular! Puts ole MSTS to shame. I wonder if that quality could be realized in ORTS?

Robert
    Rob, you took the words right out of my mouth! Stunning shots! I had to double check the first few weren't photographs. It just goes to show how much of a role decent scenery plays in making an outstanding route?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    ........Rather I blame this need to constantly toy with 100% MSTS compatibility and keeping this file library and its existing content relevant for as long as possible as the biggest underwater anchors slowing OR progress. Lets face it, none of what is portrayed in these screens could ever be MSTS compatible.
    .....err so what? The issue is could it be OR compatible. It's all very well blaming MSTS for lack of OR content but face it how many folk are producing it? Name one OR only route? that's one that cannot run in MSTS and which shows what OR is capable of over MSTS.

What I'm saying is don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm not a route builder or a Trainz user but what exactly stops this level of detail in OR ....apart from the tools and someone to make it?
    Geoff
    UK

Plus, isn’t ORTS ties to some proprietary MS technology, now obsolete because MS abandoned it?

Still, ORTS being open source is a great advantage for dedicated community members that design, program and debug.

But the MSTS pay- and shareware supply is slowly dwindling. Many of the old and established names or getting on in age.
    Are there many younger replacements?

Yeah, I think you're right. It's mostly just that few people are really building anything new. A big part of the problem is also that most developers think in 2001 terms, and few people try very hard when it comes to textures. Most audio developers haven't figured out the 1:1 relationship between RPM and engine pitch, either, or how to blend clips together so that they sound continuous, or how the Nyquist frequency works. OR sounds are, on the whole, pretty awful. Most of the current state of OR is a result of people who see no need to hone their skills. Which is a shame, because OR is incredibly accessible and simple to develop models for, on the whole, with proven, reliable tools. Exporting with the MSTS tools is about as painless as it gets.

With that said, OR could probably attract more developers if some work was put into advanced materials, 3D cab improvements (namely, expanded animation capability, with more control of existing animations, and a system for rendering visible parts of the external model), and some scripting capability for external model animations. But I don't see it happening anytime soon. And XTracks needs to go, go, go.

Great shots, by the way!
    Last edited by Erick_Cantu; 07-04-2018 at 01:25 PM.

On my part, this thread is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher1962 View Post
    On my part, this thread is closed.
    .....well you've sparked a lot of interest with these excellent shots. Don't forget there's no reason (apart from time and money) that you cannot enjoy any train simulator? It's not about which is best. It's about examining strengths and weaknesses as a way forward ....hopefully?
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    .....well you've sparked a lot of interest with these excellent shots. Don't forget there's no reason (apart from time and money) that you cannot enjoy any train simulator? It's not about which is best. It's about examining strengths and weaknesses as a way forward ....hopefully?
    Stating the obvious as usual . If I decide to start any future threads , stay away, Please !!