Thread: New user MSTS issues

Default New user MSTS issues

G'day I apologise if this is a subject that has been raised before but I have only just discovered Open Rails. I have a copy of MSTS, however the second disc has been corrupted slightly, all the files are intact but the install software will not recognise the disc.

Can anyone supply a directory map showing where the files go? Without the MSTS files Open Rails is of no use.

Homework...Chapters 4&5 in the OR manual.
    There are plenty of threads hereabouts, just search for them.

Seriously, spending a little time with the OR manual will answer most questions.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Can you copy the files to a folder on your disk?
    Cheers
    Derek

wilwahabri,
    Luckily, you don't have to install MSTS to run OR.
    All you need are the Global, Sounds, Routes and Trains folders.
    If you plan on installing downloaded routes you'll need all six default routes in your routes folder. Most of the downloaded routes have an installme.bat that copies items from the defaults, so you'll need those.
    The default equipment has been upgraded and you'll want to download and use use these instead of the originals.
    You'll also want Scale Rail, New Roads, XTracks. Just point the install to your main trains folder.
    Be sure to tuck all of this in it's own folder named whatever works for you somewhere outside of the programs or programs 86 folders. I use C:/Trains.
    If at all possible avoid putting anything (trains, utilities, paint programs, &c) in any programs folder, it makes life so much easier.
    Tons of people here willing to help. Just ask.

Randy

Yes I can copy all the files, just don't know where to put them!

I have spent time with the manual, chapters 4 and 5 cover the open rail requirement not the MSTS directory structure which is what I am trying to recreate so my Open rails software will run. I will reiterate your point here, read the question. I don't need to know how openrails works I need to know how the directory structure of MSTS is defined so that I can reinstall my damaged copy of MSTS and get openrails working.

Try this.

Randy

Just wondering but if you CAN copy all the files from the disk then why not create a new folder and paste the files into it just as they were in the disk? Then just create a disk image file using contents in that newly created folder and burn that image file into a new blank disk. After that use this newly burned disk as a replacement MSTS 2nd disk. If files were copied successfully in the first place then MSTS install program should recognise the newly burnt disk, isn't it? Experts here can correct me if I'm wrong as I didn't test this.

Another way, create a new folder on your HDD and copy everything from disk 1 to it as they were. Then, repeat the same thing for disk 2 but don't overwrite any file if asked. After completion start MSTS install program (running setup.exe that exists in that new folder full of disk 1 and 2 files) from the HDD.
    Last edited by advut; 07-08-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Another Method

Re Directory structure:
    Within your folder of simulator data you have GLOBAL, SOUND, ROUTES and TRAINS folders. Within TRAINS is CONSISTS and TRAINSET. In TRAINSET is folders for each rollingstock package. In ROUTES is folders for each route.

Are you sure the second disc is corrupted?

The reason i ask this is that certain releases of MSTS had a copy protection on the second disc which makes it seem broken. The drive seems to be constantly jumping from track to track and really slow. This is normal on newer systems, although a real nuisance.

There are two ways around this. 1) Install MSTS on an XP computer and then copy the files you want. OR........
    2) Be patient. While disc 1 will copy straight to your hard drive, disc 2 will take about an hour and a half (at least it does on my win10 computer) - But, it WILL eventually copy completely.

Once you have both CD's copied to your hard drive, you can then install MSTS from there if you so wish.

Hope this answers your question,

Izzy
    I believe that, in creating man, God overestimated his abilities - Oscar Wilde