Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxcars and more Boxcars.

Default Boxcars and more Boxcars.

Yes I am still working on items for the community it's just that is summer and with kids and family around time is hard pressed. This is what I have so far completed. I do have more to add to the set before it is released.

cars1.jpg

cars2.jpg

Great! I always enjoy your contributions..
    Jim

Those look wonderful! Train sims always can use more 60s-80s rolling stock. Are those based off of SLI/TS models?

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdude View Post
    Those look wonderful! Train sims always can use more 60s-80s rolling stock. Are those based off of SLI/TS models?

Yes... SLI... Instructions will be included on READMEs...
    Dave Edwards

They look great! Thank you.

May I make a request? Can you make more versions of that lovely Fruit Growers Express insulated boxcar for some of the other reporting marks those cars carried? SCL, L&N, B&O, C&O, SOUTHERN I have pictures I can send if you'd like.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    They look great! Thank you.

May I make a request? Can you make more versions of that lovely Fruit Growers Express insulated boxcar for some of the other reporting marks those cars carried? SCL, L&N, B&O, C&O, SOUTHERN I have pictures I can send if you'd like.

Christopher
    I would make more like the PC version but most I have found need the newer FGE and the SolidCold logo something I just don't have. Granted I can easily make up the cars on the other model so show me what pictures you have?

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    I would make more like the PC version but most I have found need the newer FGE and the SolidCold logo something I just don't have. Granted I can easily make up the cars on the other model so show me what pictures you have?
    Hi Michelle, whilst I appreciate that your skins are not "Photo Skins" couldn't you lift the logo from a photo? If you're using Photoshop (not a PSP user so not sure how that does this) you can isolate the background as a transparent layer. Obviously once you have the Logo you'd need to resize it for each application. It's merely a question of merging layers once you've positioned the logo on your skin, obviously before you .ace it. Quite a few photographers have photographed signage details for quite a few roads and posted these amongst the box car pictures on Railroad Pictures Archive.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Hi Michelle, whilst I appreciate that your skins are not "Photo Skins" couldn't you lift the logo from a photo? If you're using Photoshop (not a PSP user so not sure how that does this) you can isolate the background as a transparent layer. Obviously once you have the Logo you'd need to resize it for each application. It's merely a question of merging layers once you've positioned the logo on your skin, obviously before you .ace it. Quite a few photographers have photographed signage details for quite a few roads and posted these among-st the box car pictures on Railroad Pictures Archive.
    That can be done the issue is getting a car with the logo nearly perfect most of the images I have located are not in the correct field of view but angled enough making it unusable. While the PC had both styled FGE cars Most I have seen had the other style car. If the others had the PC style cars then it would be nice but I have no photos to say they did. Most Rail Roads had the Solid Cold cars in the 80's. And from what I am understanding the cars color helped designate what it carried. I know SLI made 1 solid cold box car and it was white.
    If I remember correctly white was for beer and yellow perishables the Frisco cars are based on the actual beer cars they had and they were used with Miller Beer company. SOO, CNW had the same style car but I did not find out what beer company they haul for. Most Mid America rails carried beer to the east and west coasts.

Ok, so this is an "opinion rant" about *why* lifting the bitmap logo usually is a lot of work and not always worth all the trouble.

I know there are a lot of successful "photo" re-skins... but when you are modeling *fallen flags*... its not like you can grab your camera, go downtown, and snap a few perfectly aligned high quality shots. Well, unless you live in a rare railroad museum town and they HAVE what you are looking for but in general, we don't have such luck. Most "historical" picture resources have the photographer trying to take "gallery" shots which, sadly, are almost never without angular distortion. The result is that sooo many of the "EASY" skins have mostly been done already.

This is why we pretty much *need* to texture these models the way they were originally done, by adding the base paint, add the as-built *decals* and then weather them to look like the photos. I am personally trying to help out in this area, as I have done since the early 2000's, by making vector based decal-like fonts which allow these "logo" details to be easily scaled to the *right* size without worrying about bitmap resolution like you have to do with a photo.

Getting the remainder of the imagery 'nuances' just right to make the car look real versus manually textured is something some of us have tried to master. Often, we only achieve an "almost" level of reality but it still can look better than trying to use a poor quality bitmap photo.

We got away with a lot when we were using bitmap skins that were only 512x512... but now that 1024x1024 and 2048x2048 are the norm... many photoskins end up looking worse, not better.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    Ok, so this is an "opinion rant" about *why* lifting the bitmap logo usually is a lot of work and not always worth all the trouble.

I know there are a lot of successful "photo" re-skins... but when you are modeling *fallen flags*... its not like you can grab your camera, go downtown, and snap a few perfectly aligned high quality shots. Well, unless you live in a rare railroad museum town and they HAVE what you are looking for but in general, we don't have such luck. Most "historical" picture resources have the photographer trying to take "gallery" shots which, sadly, are almost never without angular distortion. The result is that sooo many of the "EASY" skins have mostly been done already.

This is why we pretty much *need* to texture these models the way they were originally done, by adding the base paint, add the as-built *decals* and then weather them to look like the photos. I am personally trying to help out in this area, as I have done since the early 2000's, by making vector based decal-like fonts which allow these "logo" details to be easily scaled to the *right* size without worrying about bitmap resolution like you have to do with a photo.

Getting the remainder of the imagery 'nuances' just right to make the car look real versus manually textured is something some of us have tried to master. Often, we only achieve an "almost" level of reality but it still can look better than trying to use a poor quality bitmap photo.

We got away with a lot when we were using bitmap skins that were only 512x512... but now that 1024x1024 and 2048x2048 are the norm... many photoskins end up looking worse, not better.
    This! any car can be made but the logo's will not look correct and I am really picky on how I do my work. If I can't get it correct it's not going to happen untill I can find a work around and that is kinda hard.

Rail fonts has lost a great deal of fonts due to CSX pulling the plug on them. I can find all the images i want but none of them will work If not for Pete doing all this work most of these cars would NOT even be completed. Yes people can thank me all they want the real person to thank Is Pete for doing the logos.