Thread: New Computer all files needed?

Default New Computer all files needed?

Hello, I had a HD meltdown and my computer regular files are not recoverable.

I did however have my Train-Sim files on a separate SSD, and I have all of those files! Whew!

Now my question is, what else does OR need to run? I have included the Log File, I cannot see immediately what is the problem. I am getting an "Initialization Screen" but it goes no further.

Any help would be appreciated.

My new computer is "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 threads, 4 cores, 3.0 GHz)" rest is in the Zip folder.
    BTW it is all on Drive "H".
    OpenRailsLog.zip

That sounds familiar. Did you by any chance go through the options in the menu and tell OR where your routes are?

OK. You did. Is the activity clean? All the pieces to be found where they're supposed to be? Hopefully you didn't have things stored by Train Store at the time of the crash... IOW, was the H: drive copy clean and working before the crash, or was it just a backup of routes weren't fully installed (installme's and the like)?

Edit: I'd be suspicious about this log line: "Warning: Expected depth 0; got depth 3 at end of file (missing ')'?) in H:\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\trains\trainset\NALW_AEM7\sound\../../common.snd/NEC_ELECTRIC/alias/aem7Eng.sms:line 708". Looks like a damaged file - did that particular engine have problems in the past? NALW's packs did have a few glitches - are you sure you have all the patches for that one?

Another one (just before that one) that looks suspicious: "Warning: Skipped extra File in H:\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\trains\trainset\TT Amtrak ACS 64\sound\Amtrak_ACS64cab.sms:line 443". Again, are you sure the loco is installed properly?

Finally, the shutdown error messages start with a hung sound process - that would be consistent with damaged sms files as above.

Route-riter time...
    Last edited by mikeebb; 07-10-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Thoughts after reading the whole log file

OK, no files were stored with T-S or the like. I got an adapter to get the files off the SSD that MSTS was/is stored on. My problem is that the new computer does not have an extra SATA connection that I could use for the SSD to instal it into the computer case and run as an internal drive.
    All the Routes were functioning at the rime of the crash, after consulting with my Computer Store, it would appear that a bad file(s) on the C drive is to blame and preventing startup. No relation to the SSD.
    After letting the computer download the files on the SSD, it seems a lot of files are missing, for whatever reason. A pop-up told me that some files would be like this, Win 10, I guess.
    I do have all my Routes/Equipment/Scenery files intact on external drives, I also have the two MSTS discs on one of those external drives.
    I am going to see if OR will run the program from the ssd as an external drive, what has to be additionally installed into C drive that OR will look for? I have X4157 installed. I am also going to see if I can get a cable or have one installed to directly connect the ssd as a last resort, money is not plentiful.

Thank you for your response. The issues you pointed out are minor to me, I am happy as long as I can drive the Player Train.

If your MSTS/OR installation is on the H drive, there should be nothing related to either program on the C drive. The shutdown is being caused by OR hanging in the sound process, so that is where your problem lies as explained by mikebb. As for files missing when transferring from an external SSD to an internal drive, I suspect that the crash has damaged that SSD, so files are also damaged and will not transfer. That has nothing to do with Win 10.

Or will not look for anything on the C drive unless you have a mini route folder there and you add it to the OR list of locations.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.