Thread: OR file formats?

Default OR file formats?

Where do the OR devs keep their technical info? I've crawled over the OR site, manuals, forums, etc. and I can't seem to find a summary of acceptable file formats for modeling. Is OR still strictly limited to the MSTS formats (.s, .sd, .ace, etc.), or have they implemented more non-proprietary formats (.3ds, .obj, plain old .bmps and .jpgs. . .) ?

While there are active discussions about new new file formats at Elvas Tower forum, the goal is remain compatible. So everything MSTS still applies. The ENG/WAG files have new added values but they ARE documented.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Thanks, Pete!
    I found the dox covering the .eng/.wag files easily enough, yep. I was just hoping to NOT have to muck about with converting scenery and vegetation items to .s/.sd/.ace formats. I was thinking of writing a routine to read a terrain tile and procedurally generate grass/weeds/vegetation (and maybe litter) for it. I'd want to use better grass & tress than included with the default routes, so I wondered if those formats were still required.

1. You can use .dds instead of .ace.
    2. You must use .s file format. But with new blender exporter it's nothing wrong.