Thread: New Computer Open Rails

Default New Computer Open Rails

Well after a very hot week here I finally have Open Rails operation! Yeah!

Something for others to keep in mind, I found I had to reinstall a lot of file-sets in smaller groups to keep from missing files. I had originally just "Copied" all the files that were on the disc (ssd) that I used in the other computer, but found some went missing or were just not transferred. After transferring my files in smaller groups I found they stayed intact, time consuming but worth the effort.

Now I just have to upgrade the Video from the onboard to a new Radeon card. I have had good luck with them.

Right now I will put up with a little jerkiness and scenery popping up. Frame rates are 28-40fps so it is not too bad.

Open Rails is essentially functioning on a Win 10 system "out of the box" and I am happy.

One thing you need to be aware of is the power draw from various brands of video cards

I have an Nvidia 970, which according to today's ranking is #40 (It was ranked like #5 when I bought it 2 years ago)

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The 970 draws 145 watts at its maximum. The Radeon R9 390X, which is ranked right below the 970 in performance at #41, draws 275 watts at its maximum. I can run that 970 with my OEM 500W power supply, and it was nice not having to fork out extra cash to upgrade to a 1000 watt or higher power supply when the entire rig was new for no greater reason than the choice of video card. Today, the Nvidia 1060 ranks #35 and draws only 120 Watts at its maximum.

A tremendous amount of the engineering at both Intel and Nvidia over the past few years has been aimed at reducing power requirements. AMD finally has a huge step up with the new Vega line, but it is in such demand that the cards are overpriced.

Yeah, that is part of the problem. $400 for a suitable card today and a year from now it is obsolete.

I am going for a Asus Radeon HD 6450 1GB Silent card. It is available and a good price. So many are listed but, like you said, non in stock.

I have one in another computer and it performs well and it is what I can afford right now.

Well I installed a "New to Me" GeForce GTX 645 card and I am getting 68-90fps with the DAR 2.0 Route! Yeah! My niece gave me the card and it works fine with this new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Well I installed a "New to Me" GeForce GTX 645 card and I am getting 68-90fps with the DAR 2.0 Route! Yeah! My niece gave me the card and it works fine with this new computer.
    If you take a little time and set up the Monogame version of OR, you may find it will further improve performance on your machine.
    Here's the links you'll need to try it out.
    Building Monogame OR
    http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...-gb-of-memory/
    http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...06#entry235106
    see post#5
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I may try it in the next few days. My mind is swimming right now. Too grumpy and impatient for this stuff.

Thank You though.