Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead MSTS Install Disc 2 has failed

Default Dead MSTS Install Disc 2 has failed

After countless reinstalls since 2002, disc #2 has failed. I've tried it on 4 different CD/DVD drives to no avail. Disc 1 copied fine. All the drives, I can see the file structure in Explorer, but they won't copy.

I have working install on another computer, is there a way to get the registry entries copied to another computer?

Regards
    Hank
    Newark, DE

What OS have you?
    Under Win10 you can copy the complete CD's or DVD on a temp. drive and start the .exe form drive.
    I hope, the Community can understand my posts.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Signalmaster View Post
    After countless reinstalls since 2002, disc #2 has failed. I've tried it on 4 different CD/DVD drives to no avail. Disc 1 copied fine. All the drives, I can see the file structure in Explorer, but they won't copy.

I have working install on another computer, is there a way to get the registry entries copied to another computer?

Regards
    Hank
    Newark, DE
    This may help, in the library >>> reg-aid.zip

Also there have been numerous threads ( some very recent ) concerning the MSTS registry entries.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi,
    I don't think the problem with CD2 has anything to do with the Registry. In Sept 2015, Microsoft issued updates for Vista, Win 7, Win 8/8.1 and Win 10 which, in effect disabled secdrv.sys, an anti-piracy copy protection that was (?is) used by many games and other software, which uses the SafeDisc system (SecureDisc/SecureRom). It is used on CD2.

For all but Win 10, it is possible to re-enable secdrv.sys, but it's a complete no-no with 'normal' Win 10! There was a way, using a third-party program ( Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider tool ) to get Win 10 to play ball. It did work originally, but when I tried it recently, it didn't.

Cheers,
    Ged

Just a thought with respect to copying the disc -- if you have access to a Windows XP (ideal choice) or Win 7 install disc, you could create a virtual machine which could read the disc from your physical drive in order to make a copy as a file folder. The copy could be moved to your physical machine when it's done. VirtualBox is a full-featured free open-source virtual machine host which works on the desktop just like VMware. It takes a little time to set up the virtual XP machine and the tools which allow for copy/pasting files between it and your host machine, but once that's done it's fairly easy to work with.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Open Rails and MSTS blog -- Back on the Web as of December 2021

Thank you for the replies. Until today, the install discs have installed perfectly on both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 systems with the sim running on both. Trying to copy the discs to the HD, disc 1 copied fine, disc 2 hung up. This was just a copy operation, not install, because the install failed with disc 2. Following some of the tips in other threads, I tried to copy them. With disc 2, the file explorer shows the files as "ghost" icons, starts the copy and promptly stops with drive arm flailing around. The copy dialog indicates 38 hours to finish. I washed the disc off, that didn't help. I'm sure the hidden message here is to start learning OR sim and editor. Finding a 240+ page manual, sheesh. And that's not including the editor.

Hank
    Newark, DE

Oops, someone must have tossed my off the "OR Supporter" logo list, just noticed that.

Perhaps consider purchasing the game via eBay, Amazon, or some other source?

Desperate times calls for desperate measures, sometimes.

ORTS is still a ways off from being ready for "prime time"... and like you, I would dread starting all over being totally dependent on ORTS and TSRE5.

Best to 'ya whatever you decide.
    Andre Ming
    V Scale Creations.com R.I.P

Buying a replacement set of discs probably won't help, if they have Securom etc. as the copy protection.

Somewhat ironic, that in a misplaced security gesture MS end up nerfing their own games - apparently Freelancer (their 2003 space sim/adventure) has the same issue and can no longer be installed from disc. It's a shame whoever now owns the rights to MSTS couldn't be persuaded to put the game on Steam, so it could be purchased and downloaded for a modest price.
    Vern.

Hi,Andre

I had my order for MSTS in to the local mall electronics store (Electronics Boutique..remember them?) before it was even on the shelves. I have it running on Windows 7 and 10 laptops. But my desktop with 7 Pro that ran circles in performance around the laptops the OS broke. It would no longer take updates and just finally stopped running. I ran tests that told me the hardware was fine, so the choice; reinstall 7 or upgrade to 10. Installing the Win 10 upgrade would leave all the software intact, or so it was said. Figuring the Win7 system ran MSTS with no problems, I thought with the same hardware it would run with Win 10....WRONG!

Using the shortcut to start the sim, the window opens on the desktop, then disappears. I thought a reinstall would fix the problem, that's when I ran into the broken install disc 2. As mentioned, I copied disc 1 to HD, but 2 wouldn't copy.

Regards,
    Hank
    Newark, DE

I suggest making a copy of the MSTS installation on either the Win 10 or Win 7 laptop, and then add that to your desktop. If you have MSTS Manager which comes with Conbuilder you can generate the required registry entries as well. Route Riter can do that as well.

FWIW, I upgraded my Win7 desktop to Win 10 and all existing programs were fine.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.