Thread: Amtrak's "Gambler's Express" Atlantic City Service in the mid 1990's

Default Amtrak's "Gambler's Express" Atlantic City Service in the mid 1990's

Amtrak's "Gambler's Express" service began in April 1989 on a Amtrak rehabilitated ex-PRSL main from Frankfort Jct. to AC. The service had both connecting service from 30th St. Station in Philly & direct service from Springfield, Mass, NY Penn Station, Harrisburg, PA & Richmond, VA. It was short lived due to bad marketing & higher fares than expected. The service starting 4/1/1989 ended 6 years later on 4/1/1995. This is Train #696 a late evening train from Atlantic City to Harrisburg. It is the first in a series of activities for the PRR-ER route featuring this Amtrak's service. This one is being uploaded today (7/21/2018)

Atlantic City Terminal awaiting departure. Train #696 is the second from the left.

Train #696 passing West Haddonfield with a Conrail Beesley Point Generating Station coal drag passing EB.

A New York bound Amtrak train passing #696 near Zoo Interlock.

A Pitt-Philly Keystone Service train passing a stopped #696 to the left & a Septa Local to the far right.

Getting close to Gap, we find a Conrail Mail Train heading east on the express track.

Passengers debark at Lancaster, PA while a 50 car Conrail Autorack passes through.

Passing a Conrail Coal Drag @ Mount Joy, PA

At Roy Interlock, #696 passes a Conrail MOW welded rail train, we are almost there !

Pulling into Harrisburg Station onboard many passengers with empty wallets & purses

Enjoy.
    - Mark -

You really captured it all. Heck of a busy run!
    If you don't mind the loss of animated levers/controls, may I suggest Brad Bailey's F40 cabs? They are really quite nice looking.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Thanks Neil, I left it sort of "Out of the Box" for users on here that don't know how to change cabs for their motive power.

I actually have Brad's cabs on the version of this activity I have for myself using SLI F40's. I did this release using only 2 TS-SLI payware sets (All Conrail) so the end users don't complain to me about too much payware like in the past. The rest is freeware from here, KLW & Dekosoft. Still is a fun run.

You know the PRR-ER has it's share of quirks running in ORTS at times. But I explain the few I got & what I did to get around them in the readme's so everyone should have no problems.
    - Mark -

And just so you know, Vince is close to releasing an upgrade to the PRR-ER.
    Steve
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by commec61 View Post
    And just so you know, Vince is close to releasing an upgrade to the PRR-ER.
    I know. I been following his posts on it. I did do the Trenton fix he posted on another install of the route. But I figured most here didn't do it so this activity is done with just the regular fixes that take it to Pittsburgh (prrfix01 to prrfix06).
    - Mark -