Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us!

Default O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us!

Robert Burns ....in modern English "Oh to see ourselves as others see us..."

To Paraphrase that... Oh to see TSW as others see it....

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/24/train...rails-7751397/

Hope the link works for you over the pond. In case it doesn't it's a review of TSW for PS4 ...and not a very good one. They scored it 4/10.

So what? Well DTG need sales to sustain their business. Even if you never wanted TSW on a console those sales will sustain your PC Game/Simulation and without sales DTG's future cannot be good

BTW if you're a fan of TSW "don't shoot the messenger". Just sit back and consider that your hobby needs new blood to sustain development.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

These kind of reviews are to be expected. TSW is a strange game in a new format, previously unknown on the consoles.

Most reviewers probably never travel by train, or have played with train sets when young, LOL

There was no mention of the game elements, like collecting posters and scoring XP points?

Cons: Excruciatingly boring to the point of apparent sadism. Stations are eerie places full of silent forests of unmoving passengers.
    The initial reviews in console games are all important, stick a fork in TSW on the PS4.

Am a train-simmer and have to agree with that statement.

Worst game ever!

Harold

About the visuals (from that review):

"
    Graphically it’s all a bit fuzzy, with interiors accurately modelled but not exactly high definition, while outside trackside detail is relatively light, the sleepers that underpin the tracks pop in distractingly a few metres in front of the train as it moves forwards.
    "

Do we recognise this? So draw distance is also a problem on the consoles. Is it a UE4 thing? I also sense TAA and motion blurring are default settings on the PS4.

The main game's size is listed in the PS4 store is only 8.28 GB for three routes. So a lot of the textures must have been dropped?
    No mention of 4K or HDR gameplay either.

Sorry Edwin but you seem to have missed the point?

It's not about whether anyone who HAS TSW agrees with it or not. In fact Nothing could be More irrelevant It's about what such reviews do for POTENTIAL customers!
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post

It's not about whether anyone who HAS TSW agrees with it or not. In fact Nothing could be More irrelevant It's about what such reviews do for POTENTIAL customers!
    Perhaps. Did you research every title before purchasing a new game?
    PS4 Store already has 19 of 4-5 star customer ratings.
    I think most console games are bought on impulse or because recommended by friends. Trade press is hardly standard reading material for the typical console player. YT videos are.

Would be interesting to follow the percolation of TSW reviews through the dedicated PS4 websites. I often think most reviews are copied and slightly altered to make them seen genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    But, this review is from a newspaper Journalist from the Metro, a free newspaper given out to folks around Britain on trains and buses, printed every weekday, for anyone outside of the UK wondering what it is. I don't read this comic, it's like a tabloid newspaper, pure dross, just look at the sort of videos on display to the general public on their page, would you listen to Piers Morgan giving his reviews of TSW and consider them relevant. The article writer Nick Gillett works primarily for The Guardian, I think you ought to go on gaming websites and Steam for proper reviews by customers/end-users and qualified Gaming people who have many year's experience in playing computer/console games and giving sensible reviews, good, or, bad, from established PC gaming related magazines and internet outlets.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 07-24-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    ...... I think you ought to go on gaming websites and Steam for proper reviews by customers/end-users and qualified Gaming people who have many year's experience in playing computer/console games and giving sensible reviews, good, or, bad, from established PC gaming related magazines and internet outlets.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Very true words, Ex.
    The recommendations (and non-recommendations) from users - i.e., word-of-mouth - are the most relevant of all "reviews" of any product, be it a video game, a vacuum cleaner or a hotel.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

....as I anticipated you've ALL "shot the messenger".

What you've all failed to grasp is, however valid your views on where the "best" reviews (given that some of you point out that users of Game boxes don't read reviews? ...although one has to suggest that just because you don't doesn't mean others don't either ) are to be found is on ...X, Y or Z..... is that the review you've all dismissed identifies some fundamental issues with the idea of "simulations" on game consoles.

I don't own one, I don't want TSW, I care less about TSW's survival BUT as you obviously do you ought to have the wit to appreciate that bad reviews DO get read! ....and Steve in Nottingham, the Metro get's read by hundreds of thousands of commuters in London ...ironically as they commute on our failing rail service

I refer you ALL to the last sentence of my original post

...again DON'T shoot the messenger...
    Geoff
    UK

No firearms were involved in my perusal of your posts, Geoff.
    Yma O Hyd